Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim Rash, No Problem, A Sharpie Can That!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who needs to pay hundreds of dollars when you can fix it for under $2? Looks like it never happened.

IMG_20200609_182713.jpg
IMG_20200609_185132.jpg

Just a quick question. Would it make sense to remove the wheel rims unless using the Tesla for road travel? I mean, for just "putting" around town I think it would make sense to leave them off. Plunk them back on for any kind of a long trip.

Thoughts?

Rich
? do you mean the hub caps? Mine is the 20 inch rims, so it doesn't come with them. but for day to day travel, sure take them off.

? do you mean the hub caps? Mine is the 20 inch rims, so it doesn't come with them.
Sorry, I should have been more careful with my words. The plastic covers that go on the wheels. For a LR MY, designed to reduce drag.

Rich
Yeah, i would take off the caps for local driving if you like the looks and put them back on for road trip. how long is your daily commute?

...how long is your daily commute?

"Commute?" Sir, profanity is not allowed on this site!!

Retired 75 year old. Bounce back and forth between AZ and Cape Cod. Own a Bolt (2019 Premier) for the Cape, will be ordering a MY (waiting for the Fall to order the Tesla) for AZ and for travel back and forth between AZ and MA in lieu of flying.

I think your suggestion that for just running around locally in the MY it would be wise to remove the hub caps, as they'd serve no truly useful purpose and be scuff-magnets.

Rich

"Commute?" Sir, profanity is not allowed on this site!!

Retired 75 year old. Bounce back and forth between AZ and Cape Cod. Own a Bolt (2019 Premier) for the Cape, will be ordering a MY (waiting for the Fall to order the Tesla) for AZ and for travel back and forth between AZ and MA in lieu of flying.

I think your suggestion that for just running around locally in the MY it would be wise to remove the hub caps, as they'd serve no truly useful purpose and be scuff-magnets.

Rich

haha, nice. well, it will still save you some mileage if you drive locally. Most people take it off for looks since they don't like the looks of the hub caps. Not sure if it will help with scuff, i would think it will actually protect the rims. If you look at my picture above, i wouldn't had gotten that many rash if the hub cap was there in the first place.