Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road imperfection transmitting through steering wheel (need help!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am having some issues with my M3 and need your help identifying cause and possible solutions. My M3 is little over a month old with 1900 miles. After driving it for 1500 miles I started having very amplified road feel coming through my steering wheel. Before, it was nicely muted. I could feel the road through my seat more than my steering. NOW, I am feeling every little detail imperfection of the road through steering wheel and it's VERY VERY annoying. My previous car was Porsche Cayman and I am aware of road feel, but this is very awkward feeling coming through steering. it's more pronounced at lower speed 5-20mph. At high speed it's not as bad. And no, it's not the lane departure warning.

I took the car in and SC and they performed the alignment. See attached. They said they also torqued all suspension parts. I am still having this amplified road feel and I can't seem to pinpoint where the problem is. Is there some sort of dampener to filter out this feeling? Do I have bad steering control module?

Attachments

• scan (1).pdf
    579.2 KB · Views: 114
I know I've become more sensitive to the road imperfections and noise in the 5 days I've had mine. When you first get the car your mind is occupied with "how do I drive this thing" not road noise and bumps. When you're used to it your brain can pickup other things again. Humans are not multi-processing on a cognitive level. It's possible it might be your brain vs. the car. I suggest you get in another car and see how you feel/sense in it then go back to the Tesla.

That’s disconcerning. If you came from a Cayman I trust your judgement. I came from a 987 and a 991 so I know what proper road feel is. So far I don’t have any issues with the model 3 road feel. We’ll see in a few k miles.

I know I've become more sensitive to the road imperfections and noise in the 5 days I've had mine. When you first get the car your mind is occupied with "how do I drive this thing" not road noise and bumps. When you're used to it your brain can pickup other things again. Humans are not multi-processing on a cognitive level. It's possible it might be your brain vs. the car. I suggest you get in another car and see how you feel/sense in it then go back to the Tesla.
I asked SC if I could drive other M3s and they said they don't have any testing vehicles to have me try. I know MS and MX are different vehicles, but I wonder if I can try them. Is MS and MX feel very different than M3?

Thank you for your reply and I understand what you mean. I was very happy with my car up until 3rd week when this started happen. I noticed after 25 miles of highway drive when my palm went little numb due to very fine oscillation (lane departure warning turned off). I did 200 mile drive before and it was fine. nice and smooth nothing serious.

I will ask SC if I can drive other models to compare. sigh... :(

Thank you for your reply and I understand what you mean. I was very happy with my car up until 3rd week when this started happen. I noticed after 25 miles of highway drive when my palm went little numb due to very fine oscillation (lane departure warning turned off). I did 200 mile drive before and it was fine. nice and smooth nothing serious.

I will ask SC if I can drive other models to compare. sigh... :(
Sorry to hear that. I'd sure like to know what you find out. Could you have a tire out of balance or low on pressure? I think a lot of things in the front end could cause what you're describing. Steering, wheels, brake rotors, suspension, tires... If you have the aero wheels I'd look and see if something is plugging one of them, who knows, it's worth a look. I'd say it pretty has to be something in front though.