Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

road trips range question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 23 coming and no prior BEV experience. I'll be driving mostly by myself but when going on road trips where I'm taking the family with heavier load, do I have to enter the weight or something to accurately assess charging intervals?

Last edited:
Dude said he was new to EVs; give him a break.

The Tesla navigation does a pretty good job of mapping your road trips and guiding you to chargers along the way. It looks at current burn and your driving behaviors, so indirectly it deals with the weight you are carrying. Other people use an app called "A Better Route Planner" that also helps plan your drive and charging stops.

Let's start with entering the weight part.
I'm assuming the onboard computer average range is based on the overall cosumption which in my case is just myself in the car so the load is very light. If I'm on a road trip, taking a whole family and suitcases, probably adds 500lb to 600lb. what then? The charging calculated by the computer is based on what? my overall consumption when I drive by myself?

I'm assuming the onboard computer average range is based on the overall cosumption which in my case is just myself in the car so the load is very light. If I'm on a road trip, taking a whole family and suitcases, probably adds 500lb to 600lb. what then? The charging calculated by the computer is based on what? my overall consumption when I drive by myself?
See post #5

I'm assuming the onboard computer average range is based on the overall cosumption which in my case is just myself in the car so the load is very light. If I'm on a road trip, taking a whole family and suitcases, probably adds 800lbs. what then? The charging calculated by the computer is based on what? my overall consumption when I drive by myself?

The car makes and estimation, and then updates it while you drive based on actual consumption. Many people use a third party tool for more granular estimations, called abetterrouteplanner ABRP (no affiliation with the site, or links between that site and TMC implied).

Your in CA based on your location, so you will never be that far from a supercharger. If you are planning a trip outside the state, start by planning it out on abetterroute planner.

Otherwise, the in car nav can do a decent job, but on the in car nav you are not entering anything beside where you are going (no other variables).

EDIT: a couple other people beat me to it on the abetterrouteplanner suggestion.

On a side note, I find the joke being made in post #2 in pretty poor taste. It doesnt quite break the rules here or I would have removed it, but the question asked in the first post is not unusual for someone new to EVs and that response is fairly off putting.

Dude said he was new to EVs; give him a break.

The Tesla navigation does a pretty good job of mapping your road trips and guiding you to chargers along the way. It looks at current burn and your driving behaviors, so indirectly it deals with the weight you are carrying. Other people use an app called "A Better Route Planner" that also helps plan your drive and charging stops.
so say I start my road trip today, I map out all my stops, the nav gives me the charging stops. I drive for an hour or two and the the computer would update my charging stops base on my current consumption?

Reactions: whisperingshad
so say I start my road trip today, I map out all my stops, the nav gives me the charging stops. I drive for an hour or two and the the computer would update my charging stops base on my current consumption?

If it needed to for you to make your trip successfully, but it appears you might be picturing "run it down to almost empty, charge up to full" the way you do with a gas vehicle. In general, you will start your long trip with 90% to 100% charge, run down to around 10-20% charge, then stop and charge back up to about 50-60% charge (unless there is a huge gap between chargers).

You will stop about every couple hours or so in a road trip in a Tesla, but charging from 10-15% to 50-60% will result in a stop basically long enough to use the restroom and buy some snacks, 15-20 minutes or so.

If it needed to for you to make your trip successfully, but it appears you might be picturing "run it down to almost empty, charge up to full" the way you do with a gas vehicle. In general, you will start your long trip with 90% to 100% charge, run down to around 10-20% charge, then stop and charge back up to about 50-60% charge (unless there is a huge gap between chargers).

You will stop about every couple hours or so in a road trip in a Tesla, but charging from 10-15% to 50-60% will result in a stop basically long enough to use the restroom and buy some snacks, 15-20 minutes or so.
The navigation system does an excellent job of planning charging stops. It will tell you where to stop and how long to charge. It's important to realize that the time to charge is the time to charge enough to get to the next charge stop, not to get a full charge.
The nav system takes into account terrain and weather in its calculations and I have found it to be very accurate.

I am also pretty new to this type of vehicle.
I did a 2400 mile road trip a couple of weeks after delivery and was happy to see that the computer was usually within a couple of % on its estimates for each leg.
I recommend adding buffer when recharging as you gain comfort with the process. For example, I would stay until I had >20% buffer for the next stop, even though the car would say I was okay to leave earlier. I will probably reduce that tendency as I continue to get more comfortable with the process.
good luck…the car has been amazing to travel with.

I have a 23 coming and no prior BEV experience. I'll be driving mostly by myself but when going on road trips where I'm taking the family with heavier load, do I have to enter the weight or something to accurately assess charging intervals?
I was just as nervous as you are when I was planning my first road trip from NJ to Florida last month. I used the vehicle navigation along with the plug share app. What I discovered is there are Tesla charge stations every 100 mi or so. My longest drive between chargers was 259 miles. About every hour and a half or two hours a bathroom stop was needed so the charge locations that I chose were at those. I made a list and spreadsheet of all my charge stops, their charge rating (150kWh or 250kWh) and the mileage between them. On my next drive to Florida I now know exactly where I will be stopping to charge and pee.