Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a road trip from GA to NJ sometime in the early fall, anyone have any experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all, as the title says, I'm planning a little road trip up to New Jersey sometime in the fall (ideally around mid to late October). Has anyone done this road trip, particularly from the southeast all the way up to NJ/NYC?

I had a few questions as I've never taken my Tesla on a long distance trip before. From what I've read on other posts, it seems like range anxiety is borderline not even an issue these days and that most Tesla supercharger stops are located in very nice areas with lots to do nearby. My line of questioning is a bit different however:

1) How does the cooler weather in the northern states affect the range? Is it extremely drastic going from the 70s and 80s here in Georgia to the 50s/60s in NJ? Do I need to plan for additional supercharger stops with this in mind gradually going up from a warmer climate to a cooler climate? Or is this something the Tesla only is really affected by in true winter conditions i.e freezing and below?

2) Is it worth getting the FSD monthly subscription just to do a road trip like this and immediately cancel afterwards? I'm a fan of the autopilot but I understand that the convenience factor of EAP/FSD such as switching lanes with the press of a blinker and navigating to the exits on its own would be quite a convenient factor on road trips. Has anyone actually solely gotten FSD for a road trip before? For people who have done long distance road trips with both, what was your experience?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions but these two were really the main things I wanted to ask that I guess I couldn't locate in other threads. Any stories, advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

I have a 2023 MYLR HW3.

I drove my ‘22 MYP from NYC to Pompano Beach, FL and back in February of this year. Aside from have my five and three year old sons doing what kids their age doing during long road trips the trip was smooth sailing.

I used the in-car navigation the entire way and range anxiety was non-existent for me. October in the Northeast may be cold or it may be warm, it really is a crapshoot. Compared to an ICE vehicle I’d say charging added about an hour extra to the trip each way.

I personally did not subscribe to FSD for this trip but I did sparingly use EAP. I wouldn’t say EAP is a must have, but that’s me.

We stopped overnight in Fayetteville, NC each way at the same hotel that had EV charging as well as breakfast in the morning. This helped with immediately getting back on the road. Oh and get yourself a Sheetz membership if you don’t have one already.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: GoHawks29
Download A Better Route Planner to your phone (ABRP is also available on the web.)

Make sure you have a valid credit card or debit card set up on your Tesla account so you can use the Supercharger network. Test that your Tesla Model Y can charge a nearby Supercharger (perform a short Supercharger charging session before you leave on your trip.)

More than plenty of chargers along the I-95 and others, so just type in the destination in the car and you are good to go.

and for the FSD subscription, you can cancel anytime, but you will be charged for that month ($199 plus tax) anyway, so no need to cancel right away.

1.) In-car nav has got you covered. It will navigate you to all necessary charging stops and tell you in advance just how long you'll need to be there. It really is a no-brainer. It may even change charging stops dynamically if there is supercharger congestion or maintenance along the route.

There is only one decision you'll need to make and it is at your last charging stop. Tesla's charge faster at lower states of charge, so the navigation may often plan on you arriving at the next stop with the car somewhere in the 10% to 20% state of charge. This includes your final stop. If your final destination is somewhere that level 2 or level 3 charging might not be readily available, you may want to charge to a higher state of charge at your last charging stop before departing so you don't arrive at your final destination with only 10% and a 120v wall outlet as your only source of power. The car might tell you at 50% state of charge that you have sufficient charge to continue on to your next stop, but if that next stop is a remote cabin, you may not want to arrive with only 10% charge.

2.) I tend to use 6 or more hours of continuous highway driving in a day as my inflection point for subscribe/don't subscribe to FSD for a trip. It really does make a huge difference in how exhausted you are when you arrive. I recently had to do an 885 mile drive in a single day and I let FSD beta do 95% of the driving. I'm not gonna lie and say I arrived fresh as a daisy, but I wasn't ready to collapse either after 16+ hours in the car.

Reactions: retbesla
Ha. So, the 2018 M3 RWD has been, first, down from NJ to Savannah, Savannah to Charleston, from there to Kitty Hawk, then up the coast to Maryland, across on the ferry, then back home to central NJ.

Another trip had us going from NJ down to Disney, Cape Canaveral, then back home again.

So, yeah, been there, done that, literally got the T-shirts.

First off: If you're going direct and chugging up and down I-95, then, you don't need any fancy apps. Just put your destination into the Nav and the car will tell you what Superchargers to stop at. Honestly, you don't need to do more than that: It'll work, you won't run out of charge anywhere, and all that.

Speaking as a resident of Central NJ, we got more Superchargers around here than you can shake a stick at. It's almost like California, I swear.

About the only thing that the SO and I did, "extra", was to scout out the Superchargers the car was navigating us to. On the first trip to Savannah and back the Nav and the app weren't all that wonderful about plotching one down in the middle of places with lots of spots to eat and/or sleep. So, looking up Supercharge.info on the web and zooming in to the appropriate place one is going will show, when one gets close in, what eateries are withing walking distance or not.

I still like Supercharge.info and we have it bookmarked on our phones. However, the Nav screen and the Tesla app on the phone both, when you go to the "Location" tap, let's you see a brief summary of what's nearby each Supercharger.

Given the sheer number of SC's along I-95, it doesn't really matter if one stops at a place because they have Superchargers or not. Look at it this way: The Nav tries to minimize actual travel time. Given that I-95 has an overabundance of SCs, all this means is that, when you stop, you'll go from whatever-percentage-you're-at to 80%; at that point, waiting for more charge actually wastes time compared to buzzing down the road.

Now, if you're having a nice lunch somewhere and want the car to hit 100% while you're eating, yeah, then do that thing, but, if you're just getting a bagel for breakfast, may as well get in the car with the food and go.

Next question: Cooler weather. Well, we're here right now, and the temps are in the 80's-90's during the day and the low 70's during the evening. On both the 2018 M3 and the 2021 MY we get the advertised ranges for both cars.

"Cool" weather matters when it gets below 45F or so. Now, the 2018 M3 doesn't have the heat pump that all more modern Teslas have. So, when it's down around 20F or so, instead of getting 250 W-hr/mile, I get 350 W-hr/mile, and most of that extra is from heating the cabin. That's about a drop of a third in range, so chugging back and forth to Boston, a thing I do a lot, means stopping at an extra SC on the way.

The SO's MY, though, has the heat pump. That very much makes a difference. Her car gets around 270 W-hr/mile in the summer. In the winter, for the first few miles, it'll do up to 320 and change W-hr/mile, but, within about 10 minutes or so, that'll drop down to 280 W-hr/mile. As you may have heard, the energy to move heat from place A to place B is a lot less than the energy that would be used to create that heat via resistive heaters: Hello, SEER. So, if you got yourself a newish Tesla: Don't worry, be happy, and, if you're going to be here in the Winter, pack a scraper and snow brush. And maybe one of those collapsible snow shovels, Just In Case.

OK. FSD. Ha. The 2018 M3 has the whole shooting match, including FSD-b. Yes, it does a superior job on freeways, changes lanes, and is fun in that regard. But it'll scare the heck out of you on city streets because, really, it's Not Ready For Prime Time.

Let me look up what Tesla claims FSD, non-Beta, actually does... Traffic and Stop Sign recognition. OK.

OK. So, full FSD-b will actually change lanes without asking you. And it does a decent job of that. But a lot of people have Issues. And FSD-b has real, serious requirements that your eyeballs be out the window at all times and that there be variable torque over time on the steering wheel. It's ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance), not, as the label says, Full Self Driving.

What you probably want is EAP. What you really want on a long trip: That, when the car changes lanes, it looks for approaching traffic and doesn't change lanes when there's a maniac in your blind spot or some idiot is coming up behind you at 100 mph and you haven't noticed them.

• The car comes with Autopilot, standard, which is Lane Keep and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (LK & TACC). What this means: If you're in a lane and there's a traffic jam, the car will move with traffic. Slows down (and stops) if traffic slows down and/or stops; speeds up when traffic speeds up. This is a Good Thing on a long trip and worth the price of admission (i.e., the car.
Next: Suppose you want to change lanes. You're in Autopilot, start turning to the left or right (you initiate it and look for cars); Autopilot smoothly disengages; when you get to your (new) lane, you double-shove the gear shift (y'know, reverse, drive, neutral, park) and you're off in LK/TACC again.
  • Enhanced Autopilot. Comes with LK/TACC, but now you get semi-auto lane change. You're chugging down the road and am tired of the slowpoke in front of you. Or you need to get into an exit lane. Shove up or right on the turn signal. You'll see a fancy display on the screen but, basically, the car will look with all its cameras and see if it's safe. If it's not, the blinker may be on, but the lane that you're proposing the car to go into will shade red. (As in: No Way.) Once the obstruction has cleared (assuming you don't cancel), the "red shade" goes away and, on its own, the car will smoothly go into the new lane and pick up doing TACC/LK once again.
Beauty of this system is that it's safe. The car's got more eyeballs in different directions than you do and it doesn't blink. Got a maniac in your blind spot? It's not blind to the car. And it's good at checking for speeding cars. In extremis, you'll get moved half-way over and then the car will go, "Oops!" and put you back where you started. In my experience, that's followed by a teenager in a muscle car blowing past at speed=ridiculous.

Other thing the car on EAP will do: If you're going from one interstate to another and you've got the Nav running, it'll take the off ramp, navigate around same, and then pick up speed and merge on the new interstate. Won't do this for local roads, though.
  • Standard FSD adds some stop-sign and red-light detection, useful on local highways. So, if you're on one of those famous two-lanes each direction with occasional stop lights, the car will stop at those lights and, presumably, start back up again.
FSD-b is the whole shooting match. I've actually had the car navigate between here and 50 miles from here, stop signs, left turns, right turns, major local roads, on and off interstates, you name it. And, once in a while, I'll make it those 50 miles without an intervention. Where an "intervention" means anything from, "You're too darn close to that pedestrian!" to "That car has its nose stuck half-way into the travel lane, I'd better take over and navigate around the idiot" to "Look out for that ambulance coming up from behind", and, my favorite, "I'm waiting for this red light in front of me to turn green - oops! The car's trying to run the red light when there's cross traffic!"

Um. I am not kidding about any of the above. The "red light running" doesn't happen often, nor any other death attempts. But it means that You Never Know, which leads to a certain amount of stress.

The SO's car came with FSD on a trial. She could take it or leave it. After the trial expired, we talked about it: And bought EAP. That, we figured, was the best bang for the buck.

Excellent write up by @Tronguy

The only thing I can add is:

1). Always charge up the night before so your ready to go in the morning.
2). Always dunno your trash every chance you get. It seems to accumulate on road trips.
3). Make sure your tires are in good shape. If they are borderline it's time for new shoes before the trip. A tire change away from home is not what you want to do on a trip.
4). On the east coast with superchargers just about everywhere there is no need to charge to 100%. 80-90% is more than enough and you don't want to waste the time it takes to get to 100%.

Good luck and enjoy the drive.

-stew

Hey y'all, as the title says, I'm planning a little road trip up to New Jersey sometime in the fall (ideally around mid to late October). Has anyone done this road trip, particularly from the southeast all the way up to NJ/NYC?

I had a few questions as I've never taken my Tesla on a long distance trip before. From what I've read on other posts, it seems like range anxiety is borderline not even an issue these days and that most Tesla supercharger stops are located in very nice areas with lots to do nearby. My line of questioning is a bit different however:

1) How does the cooler weather in the northern states affect the range? Is it extremely drastic going from the 70s and 80s here in Georgia to the 50s/60s in NJ? Do I need to plan for additional supercharger stops with this in mind gradually going up from a warmer climate to a cooler climate? Or is this something the Tesla only is really affected by in true winter conditions i.e freezing and below?

2) Is it worth getting the FSD monthly subscription just to do a road trip like this and immediately cancel afterwards? I'm a fan of the autopilot but I understand that the convenience factor of EAP/FSD such as switching lanes with the press of a blinker and navigating to the exits on its own would be quite a convenient factor on road trips. Has anyone actually solely gotten FSD for a road trip before? For people who have done long distance road trips with both, what was your experience?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions but these two were really the main things I wanted to ask that I guess I couldn't locate in other threads. Any stories, advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

I have a 2023 MYLR HW3.
I picked my 23 MYLR HW4 up 7/12 and drove upstate the next day (never owning an ev & the week later drove from NJ to NC and this Friday we'll be driving it to Disneyworld and back lol

1. We had the air set to 69 for the whole trip and it was about 90+ during our drive and the in car estimates for charging were pretty accurate as long as we stayed the speed limit. Since it was our first road trips i did give it a few more % just to be sure but now that i'm about 2000 miles in on trips i feel more confident that the "get you to your destination numbers are accurate"

2. ours came with FSD free for 3 months (still have it) but with 23's not everything is avail. I used autopilot for a nice chunk of the drive with tacc/autosteer beta and its pretty nice.

Also just an FYI , i'm super high anxiety generally in life... ultra planner prep for things weeks and weeks out so buying this thing was super stressful
ODDLY after i phyiscally got it and saw that it plans for me i havent had ONE bit of range anxiety and our initial first roadtrip was to an area were superchargers weren't generally in our area

Enjoy the trip!

I drove my ‘22 MYP from NYC to Pompano Beach, FL and back in February of this year. Aside from have my five and three year old sons doing what kids their age doing during long road trips the trip was smooth sailing.

I used the in-car navigation the entire way and range anxiety was non-existent for me. October in the Northeast may be cold or it may be warm, it really is a crapshoot. Compared to an ICE vehicle I’d say charging added about an hour extra to the trip each way.

I personally did not subscribe to FSD for this trip but I did sparingly use EAP. I wouldn’t say EAP is a must have, but that’s me.

We stopped overnight in Fayetteville, NC each way at the same hotel that had EV charging as well as breakfast in the morning. This helped with immediately getting back on the road. Oh and get yourself a Sheetz membership if you don’t have one already.

I hope this helps.
Are you saying that you rarely used EAP but used Autopilot still? Or did you prefer driving the car itself? One thing that has me paranoid is phantom braking so just wanted to see if you've dealt with that before.
Download A Better Route Planner to your phone (ABRP is also available on the web.)

Make sure you have a valid credit card or debit card set up on your Tesla account so you can use the Supercharger network. Test that your Tesla Model Y can charge a nearby Supercharger (perform a short Supercharger charging session before you leave on your trip.)
Great idea! I've actually never used a Supercharger yet so that's something I'll make sure to do well before.
More than plenty of chargers along the I-95 and others, so just type in the destination in the car and you are good to go.

and for the FSD subscription, you can cancel anytime, but you will be charged for that month ($199 plus tax) anyway, so no need to cancel right away.
Fair point. The South is still in the process of building out the network but I know once I hit Charlotte and above, it's going to be smooth sailing (more or less). I'll keep that in mind about the FSD subscription. Thank you.
Ha. So, the 2018 M3 RWD has been, first, down from NJ to Savannah, Savannah to Charleston, from there to Kitty Hawk, then up the coast to Maryland, across on the ferry, then back home to central NJ.

Another trip had us going from NJ down to Disney, Cape Canaveral, then back home again.

So, yeah, been there, done that, literally got the T-shirts.

First off: If you're going direct and chugging up and down I-95, then, you don't need any fancy apps. Just put your destination into the Nav and the car will tell you what Superchargers to stop at. Honestly, you don't need to do more than that: It'll work, you won't run out of charge anywhere, and all that.

Speaking as a resident of Central NJ, we got more Superchargers around here than you can shake a stick at. It's almost like California, I swear.

About the only thing that the SO and I did, "extra", was to scout out the Superchargers the car was navigating us to. On the first trip to Savannah and back the Nav and the app weren't all that wonderful about plotching one down in the middle of places with lots of spots to eat and/or sleep. So, looking up Supercharge.info on the web and zooming in to the appropriate place one is going will show, when one gets close in, what eateries are withing walking distance or not.

I still like Supercharge.info and we have it bookmarked on our phones. However, the Nav screen and the Tesla app on the phone both, when you go to the "Location" tap, let's you see a brief summary of what's nearby each Supercharger.

Given the sheer number of SC's along I-95, it doesn't really matter if one stops at a place because they have Superchargers or not. Look at it this way: The Nav tries to minimize actual travel time. Given that I-95 has an overabundance of SCs, all this means is that, when you stop, you'll go from whatever-percentage-you're-at to 80%; at that point, waiting for more charge actually wastes time compared to buzzing down the road.

Now, if you're having a nice lunch somewhere and want the car to hit 100% while you're eating, yeah, then do that thing, but, if you're just getting a bagel for breakfast, may as well get in the car with the food and go.

Next question: Cooler weather. Well, we're here right now, and the temps are in the 80's-90's during the day and the low 70's during the evening. On both the 2018 M3 and the 2021 MY we get the advertised ranges for both cars.

"Cool" weather matters when it gets below 45F or so. Now, the 2018 M3 doesn't have the heat pump that all more modern Teslas have. So, when it's down around 20F or so, instead of getting 250 W-hr/mile, I get 350 W-hr/mile, and most of that extra is from heating the cabin. That's about a drop of a third in range, so chugging back and forth to Boston, a thing I do a lot, means stopping at an extra SC on the way.

The SO's MY, though, has the heat pump. That very much makes a difference. Her car gets around 270 W-hr/mile in the summer. In the winter, for the first few miles, it'll do up to 320 and change W-hr/mile, but, within about 10 minutes or so, that'll drop down to 280 W-hr/mile. As you may have heard, the energy to move heat from place A to place B is a lot less than the energy that would be used to create that heat via resistive heaters: Hello, SEER. So, if you got yourself a newish Tesla: Don't worry, be happy, and, if you're going to be here in the Winter, pack a scraper and snow brush. And maybe one of those collapsible snow shovels, Just In Case.

OK. FSD. Ha. The 2018 M3 has the whole shooting match, including FSD-b. Yes, it does a superior job on freeways, changes lanes, and is fun in that regard. But it'll scare the heck out of you on city streets because, really, it's Not Ready For Prime Time.

Let me look up what Tesla claims FSD, non-Beta, actually does... Traffic and Stop Sign recognition. OK.

OK. So, full FSD-b will actually change lanes without asking you. And it does a decent job of that. But a lot of people have Issues. And FSD-b has real, serious requirements that your eyeballs be out the window at all times and that there be variable torque over time on the steering wheel. It's ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance), not, as the label says, Full Self Driving.

What you probably want is EAP. What you really want on a long trip: That, when the car changes lanes, it looks for approaching traffic and doesn't change lanes when there's a maniac in your blind spot or some idiot is coming up behind you at 100 mph and you haven't noticed them.

• The car comes with Autopilot, standard, which is Lane Keep and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (LK & TACC). What this means: If you're in a lane and there's a traffic jam, the car will move with traffic. Slows down (and stops) if traffic slows down and/or stops; speeds up when traffic speeds up. This is a Good Thing on a long trip and worth the price of admission (i.e., the car.
Next: Suppose you want to change lanes. You're in Autopilot, start turning to the left or right (you initiate it and look for cars); Autopilot smoothly disengages; when you get to your (new) lane, you double-shove the gear shift (y'know, reverse, drive, neutral, park) and you're off in LK/TACC again.
  • Enhanced Autopilot. Comes with LK/TACC, but now you get semi-auto lane change. You're chugging down the road and am tired of the slowpoke in front of you. Or you need to get into an exit lane. Shove up or right on the turn signal. You'll see a fancy display on the screen but, basically, the car will look with all its cameras and see if it's safe. If it's not, the blinker may be on, but the lane that you're proposing the car to go into will shade red. (As in: No Way.) Once the obstruction has cleared (assuming you don't cancel), the "red shade" goes away and, on its own, the car will smoothly go into the new lane and pick up doing TACC/LK once again.
Beauty of this system is that it's safe. The car's got more eyeballs in different directions than you do and it doesn't blink. Got a maniac in your blind spot? It's not blind to the car. And it's good at checking for speeding cars. In extremis, you'll get moved half-way over and then the car will go, "Oops!" and put you back where you started. In my experience, that's followed by a teenager in a muscle car blowing past at speed=ridiculous.

Other thing the car on EAP will do: If you're going from one interstate to another and you've got the Nav running, it'll take the off ramp, navigate around same, and then pick up speed and merge on the new interstate. Won't do this for local roads, though.
  • Standard FSD adds some stop-sign and red-light detection, useful on local highways. So, if you're on one of those famous two-lanes each direction with occasional stop lights, the car will stop at those lights and, presumably, start back up again.
FSD-b is the whole shooting match. I've actually had the car navigate between here and 50 miles from here, stop signs, left turns, right turns, major local roads, on and off interstates, you name it. And, once in a while, I'll make it those 50 miles without an intervention. Where an "intervention" means anything from, "You're too darn close to that pedestrian!" to "That car has its nose stuck half-way into the travel lane, I'd better take over and navigate around the idiot" to "Look out for that ambulance coming up from behind", and, my favorite, "I'm waiting for this red light in front of me to turn green - oops! The car's trying to run the red light when there's cross traffic!"

Um. I am not kidding about any of the above. The "red light running" doesn't happen often, nor any other death attempts. But it means that You Never Know, which leads to a certain amount of stress.

The SO's car came with FSD on a trial. She could take it or leave it. After the trial expired, we talked about it: And bought EAP. That, we figured, was the best bang for the buck.
Stellar write up. I really wish I could comment more on it but you've really covered all the bases. In your experience, given the road trips and experience you have...is it worth it to upgrade to FSD for those features or is the standard autopilot fine on its own? I tend to be pretty attentive of the road either way, so it's not like I'm trying to get FSD so I can snooze the night away - Just want to see if it's actually a difference maker for the road trip. One thing I was considering was driving up with Autopilot to NJ and then subscribing there and driving the way back with it. Thoughts? Also, has phantom braking occurred for you on the highways before? What's that experience like if you've dealt with it?
Excellent write up by @Tronguy

The only thing I can add is:

1). Always charge up the night before so your ready to go in the morning.
2). Always dunno your trash every chance you get. It seems to accumulate on road trips.
3). Make sure your tires are in good shape. If they are borderline it's time for new shoes before the trip. A tire change away from home is not what you want to do on a trip.
4). On the east coast with superchargers just about everywhere there is no need to charge to 100%. 80-90% is more than enough and you don't want to waste the time it takes to get to 100%.

Good luck and enjoy the drive.

-stew
Great points. I have an at home charger so I'll definitely be sure to charge to 100% before setting out for the trip. I see that by charging to 100%, the Tesla actually only needs 3 stops versus 4 (we plan to stop 3/4ths of the way, somewhere around DC/Baltimore). Have you dealt with a flat tire or anything along those lines in a Tesla on a road trip? What's the best practice there? I know Tesla has their mobile ranger unit but I also have AAA just in case.
I picked my 23 MYLR HW4 up 7/12 and drove upstate the next day (never owning an ev & the week later drove from NJ to NC and this Friday we'll be driving it to Disneyworld and back lol

1. We had the air set to 69 for the whole trip and it was about 90+ during our drive and the in car estimates for charging were pretty accurate as long as we stayed the speed limit. Since it was our first road trips i did give it a few more % just to be sure but now that i'm about 2000 miles in on trips i feel more confident that the "get you to your destination numbers are accurate"

2. ours came with FSD free for 3 months (still have it) but with 23's not everything is avail. I used autopilot for a nice chunk of the drive with tacc/autosteer beta and its pretty nice.

Also just an FYI , i'm super high anxiety generally in life... ultra planner prep for things weeks and weeks out so buying this thing was super stressful
ODDLY after i phyiscally got it and saw that it plans for me i havent had ONE bit of range anxiety and our initial first roadtrip was to an area were superchargers weren't generally in our area

Enjoy the trip!
How was the FSD experience? I'm talking in terms of pure highway driving, endless miles of nothing but trees and other cars type of scenario. Did you ever have to intervene? Did you experience phantom braking or anything of the sort? I genuinely want to enjoy the Tesla autopilot on the open highways but the idea of a phantom braking incident that I've read and seen on YouTube about has me paranoid to the point I may just actually drive the whole thing myself lol.

--snippage

Stellar write up. I really wish I could comment more on it but you've really covered all the bases. In your experience, given the road trips and experience you have...is it worth it to upgrade to FSD for those features or is the standard autopilot fine on its own? I tend to be pretty attentive of the road either way, so it's not like I'm trying to get FSD so I can snooze the night away - Just want to see if it's actually a difference maker for the road trip. One thing I was considering was driving up with Autopilot to NJ and then subscribing there and driving the way back with it. Thoughts? Also, has phantom braking occurred for you on the highways before? What's that experience like if you've dealt with it?
OK. There's three, maybe four levels of ADAS that one has or can get with the car:
  1. Standard Autopilot, which does Lane Keep and Traffic Aware Cruise Control
  2. Enhanced Autoplilot, which does Autopilot and adds
    1. Auto Lane Change. This means, "While in Autopilot, hit the turn signal for left or right, and the car will switch lanes for you, watching the blind spot and for maniacs approaching. Won't switch until it's safe and may back off if it sees a hazard. This is the biggie.
    2. Auto parking. Works OK, but sometimes Just Won't Do It: Will parallel park on a street and/or rear-in park in a parking lot with lines.
    3. You can Summon the car out of a tight parking spot or your garage and it's theoretically possible to get it to come across a parking lot, with it in view all the way, in the rain. This latter is called, "Smart Summon". I've tried it out in the past, it works, but gives me the willies.
    4. Navigate on Autopilot. Um. As currently implemented, this means that, with Autopilot on, the car, with turn signals working as one would expect, will:
      1. If, on a freeway, your exit is coming up, it'll take the exit.
      2. If the exit it takes is going to another freeway, it'll navigate through the ramps and shift out of the on-ramp onto a travel lane.
    5. Speed limit on interstates: Pretty much, whatever you set it to. IF you run it on local roads (not truly recommended) speed limit is the local road limit, plus 5 mph.
  3. FSD. At this moment in time, it's a misnomer. It includes Standard Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and the two following features:
    1. If you're on a local road with and there's a red stop light, it'll stop at the light. When the light goes green (and maybe with a confirmation on the shift stalk) the car will pick up and go.
    2. If you're on a local road and there's a green light, it'll stop at the light unless you hit a "confirm" on the shift lever. Unless you're following someone; in that case, if you're following "close" enough, it'll follow the car in front of you through the green light.
    3. It'll stop at a stop sign.
    4. What it won't do: NoA or no NoA, it won't turn left or right at intersections.
    5. Speed limit on local roads is like EAP: 5 mph higher than the local limit.
  4. FSD-Beta: Only for the daring of heart who are interested in helping Tesla test the Beta version of FSD. The general idea: With a good grip including white knuckles, it'll navigate the landscape, period. Left turns, right turns, interstates, and so on. Impressive when it works, down-right scary when it flubs. Hard to get into (at the current time). Speed limit on local roads is whatever you set it to, but (and it's complicated explaining all the ins and outs of its methods) it pretty much reads the speed limit signs and follows those, but you can crank it up. Or down.
Best bang for the buck: in terms of features: EAP. That big about the blind spot and changing lanes being the biggie. Buying the whole package, permanently, is currently $6k. I'm not sure if you can rent it, but you can rent FSD, for sure. Check with Tesla? Tesla says that if a car has EAP, the rental is $99/month; without EAP, it's $199/month. Full version is $15k, which is a lot for just red lights. But there's the promise that, once the full city streets version is clean, you'll get that. And Tesla will Raise The Price A Lot when that happens.

Back in the day, I bought FSD for $6k for the M3 back when the package was on sale. Even earlier people got it for $2k.

The SO's 2021 MY came, I'm pretty sure, with an FSD trial. Which outside the stop light/stop sign stuff is indistinguishable from EAP. We used it until the trial was over then, at the SO's request, stuck with Standard Autopilot for a while. Mind you, my 2018 M3 has all the bells and whistles, including FSD-b, although, when she's driving that car, she turns off the Beta stuff. (A thing one can do, what with different driver profiles.) After a bit on standard TACC/LK, we decided to cough up the $6k for EAP and have been happy with that.

As to whether it's worth it or not... Well, you could start your trip with regular Autopilot, drive like that for a while, then pony up $199 for a month of the FSD/EAP stuff. Take care, get it installed, and then try the lane-swapping exercise.

I'd go a day without it, then pony up the $199. Important point: Once enabled, there's a selector on the Autopilot panel so you can turn it off. Dynamically, even, if memory serves. So you can switch back and forth at random.

Frankly, I like the auto lane change a lot. It's a safety feature, no question. I still hike the head over to check for people in blind spots (50 years of driving will do that to a person, hard habit to break), but it cuts the stress down quite a bit. With all the EAP (and FSD-b on the M3) going, I spend my time in the driver's seat looking out for maniac other drivers, since the minutia of keeping the speed steady and the car in lane takes care of itself. And that last means that one arrives at one's destination in a more rested frame of mind, since the detailed brain work to actually drive isn't happening. (But that's TACC/LK, anyway, which you've got.)

As far as phantom braking goes..

First off, it is, or was, A Thing. Back in 2018 with EAP up and running, the car would brake semi-hard for shadows, which it took to be obstacles or other cars. This would happen, say, two or three times in 50 to 100 miles on an interstate and more often on local roads. In and around that time some people (but by no means all) had not just a sudden slow-down, but screeching wheels and emergency braking. This latter appears to have been malfunctioning early radar hardware.

The "emergency stop" stuff hasn't been reported, to my knowledge, in several years. And, since 2018, Tesla has made more or less steady improvements in the TACC/EAP/FSD software that kept on getting better and better. In my experience, it's gotten to the point where, on a 500 mile drive, it might happen once; and it's a more-or-less gentle slowdown than can be sped up from.

It should be noted that phantom braking, when it does occur, is a visually detected effect: That is, the cameras see it. Since Tesla ditched the radar up front and went to full vision for TACC, the incidence of phantom braking has reduced even further.

The Solution to a sudden slow-down is to, simply, gas it a bit. Then swear. But I haven't sworn at it in ages, at least not for that.

There is, I think, an effect of the traffic speed limit signs being read, that is often confused or conflated with phantom braking. Say one is chugging along on a 70 mph stretch and everything is smooth and happy. Five miles up, the local road maintenance guys are repairing a bridge; three miles short of the fun they, by some kind of local ordinance, put up a "45 MPH" limit sign. No human slows down since there's no cones or Jersey barriers anywhere. But the car sees that sign and Slows Down. Making the driver mumble, hard, under his/her breath, while madly turning the right scroll wheel up to get back to 70, so one isn't a hazard.

So, speed limit signs (70 to 55, 70 to 65, etc.) make one think that there's phantom braking running around when, really, it's a side effect of the auto-speed-limit sign reading. And the NHTSA, who mandated that Tesla Slow Down Right Fast when one is going from, say, 50 outside a small town to 30 at the town border.

Don't get freaked out, it's not that big a deal, but be aware that the Speed Limit Can Change From Under You.
Great points. I have an at home charger so I'll definitely be sure to charge to 100% before setting out for the trip. I see that by charging to 100%, the Tesla actually only needs 3 stops versus 4 (we plan to stop 3/4ths of the way, somewhere around DC/Baltimore). Have you dealt with a flat tire or anything along those lines in a Tesla on a road trip? What's the best practice there? I know Tesla has their mobile ranger unit but I also have AAA just in case.

How was the FSD experience? I'm talking in terms of pure highway driving, endless miles of nothing but trees and other cars type of scenario. Did you ever have to intervene? Did you experience phantom braking or anything of the sort? I genuinely want to enjoy the Tesla autopilot on the open highways but the idea of a phantom braking incident that I've read and seen on YouTube about has me paranoid to the point I may just actually drive the whole thing myself lol.
Um. I'm sure @GoHawks29 will say something, but:
Flat tire. Have had that.
  • One day, at dusk, coming down a two-lane hill road sans curbs, but with a double-yellow, there was a cop coming up the other way, lights and siren going. I shifted over to the right like everybody else and the car discovered that a home-owner had let some rip-rap rocks on their property roll onto the road, where the right front tore its sidewall on one of them. Got to a side road and did the Tesla Roadside Assistance thing. In a half hour a Tesla vehicle showed up, swapped out the dead wheel for a spare that they carried, and sent me on my way. About a week later (after scrambling for a same-type tire), Tesla put my wheel back on and I gave them the loaner. This works only if there's a Service Center within shouting distance.
  • Thing to remember: It's Just A Blame Tire. If you've got AAA or an equivalent from your insurance company, a flatbed tow truck will take you to an $INFINITE number of places that will be perfectly happy to repair (if it's on the belt) or replace (sidewall) the tire.
  • At one point an offspring gave us Tesla's answer to Flats in the Middle of Nowhere. It's a combo electric air pump/run-flat solution injector with a Tesla logo on it. We've used the pump part, lots, but never had a reason to use the (single-charge) run-flat stuff. And using that run-flat stuff guarantees that you'll still have to go to a tire maintenance place, since the gunk the thing injects into the tire is going to mess up the TPMS sensor.
  • A fair number of people suggest keeping one of those rubber-thread, weird-looking needle, and rubber cement kits known as a "plug kit". In principle, if one gets a flat due to a screw in the body of the tire belt, one can pull the screw out, thread a piece of rubber through the needle in the kit, slather rubber cement all over it, then stick the whole business into the hole. Run it back and forth a bit so it's all glopped up, remove the needle (one I saw has a notch in the needle eye for the purpose), wait for the rubber cement to dry in fifteen minutes or so, cut off the thread sticking out flush with the tire, pump the tire up to pressure, and go. Um. I don't carry one of these and, in a combined 65,000 miles of driving the two cars, have never had a need to use one. (Except for the torn sidewall, and neither a plug kit or anything else is going to fix one of those.)
People who feel genuinely maniacal about this have gone so far as to (somehow) fit a jack and a smallish spare into the trunk. I wouldn't bother. Now, keeping an air pump handy is a good idea, in general, especially when you're going many many miles at speed, which enhances general leakage. The Maintenance menu will show you tire pressures, as will the "card" that you can see by swiping sideways on the radio/streaming area in the rough bottom left.

I would probably get a rough idea of the main highway on your path and estimate as much as possible landing at each super charger with about 20% range. This will save time on charging as charging from 20% to 60% is fast and that's about 1 hr 30 minute drive. Drive in the middle lanes with autopilot on and relax. Talk to your companion. Absorb the sights. Quality time with your family.

I traveled along the NJ turn pike to Washington DC a few times. I traveled from NH all the way down past NYC, NJ, MD and into Washington DC. Pretty fun ride. At each supercharging station, I would try to re-route to my next supercharging destination close to 20% SoC as much as possible. Sometimes it's 15%, 17%....Strategically doing so will always gets you the fastest charging time. Stay there for maybe 20 minutes tops. Buy some snacks, throw away some trash at the rest area if the supercharger happens to land at a gas station or rest stop.

It will be an enjoyable trip.

I have a 2023 Model 3 Long Range with FSD enabled HW3.

I am planning to do a road trip from Debary Florida to Washington DC on NewYears long weekend.

I have a stop at Jacksonville and the next day I am going to drive from Jacksonville straight to Washington DC for entire day.
Couple of days at Washington DC then drive back home to Debary Florida with a stop at North Carolina.
The Tesla Planner seems to suggest it is possible but is it possible?

What do you guys think, especially during snow, I heard the range on the Tesla can be impacted severely,

I have a 2023 Model 3 Long Range with FSD enabled HW3.

I am planning to do a road trip from Debary Florida to Washington DC on NewYears long weekend.

I have a stop at Jacksonville and the next day I am going to drive from Jacksonville straight to Washington DC for entire day.
Couple of days at Washington DC then drive back home to Debary Florida with a stop at North Carolina.

What do you guys think, especially during snow, I heard the range on the Tesla can be impacted severely,
Plan to stop. charge for ~30 minutes at each of the Supercharging locations that the Tesla Trip Planner recommends (don't skip a charging stop.)

Make sure that you have a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account so that you can use the Supercharger network when charging without any delay as you set up your account. Test using a nearby Supercharger before your trip to ensure that your Tesla Model Y successfully charges at the Supercharger.

For additional charging information consider using A Better Route Planner (ABRP). ABRP is available for your phone as an app and also on the web. The standard version of ABRP is free to use. ABRP will enable you to customize your vehicle, preferred speed, charging frequency (more-shorter or less-longer charging stops.)

Don’t sweat the range reduction. Older M3s had cabin heat and such that used resistive heaters to warm the air; or also ran purposely excessive current through the motors to warm the coolant fluid and get the batteries up to operating temperature.

That’s no longer the case. Newer ones have a heat pump, works like an air conditioner in reverse. Much more efficient. My SO’s MY has one (2021 vintage). The 2018 M3 would hit 350 W-hr/mile in the cold, up from the nominal 270; the MY would hit 350 for a minute or so, but would then zip down to 290, up from the nominal 280 during the summer as the heat pump kicked in.

As far as bombing up and down the East Coast; been there, done that, got the T Shirt. There’s so many SCs you generally get to pick and choose which ones you want to stop at. The built in NAV won’t do you wrong, but sometimes the selection of eateries might be better or worse. You can check this by zooming in on a particular SC you’re headed to and looking at the detailed map to see what’s available nearby, especially when you’re planning to settle in for the night. Works best if you’ve got a navigator/spouse, but that’s been true forever, ICE or BEV.

About the only other snivvey has to do with charging time. Note that the NAV is trying to minimize total travel time, which includes time spent charging. The car charges fastest when its State of Charge is between a few percent and 30% or so. One doesn’t see this often, but sometimes on a long trip the NAV will recommend charging, say, to 60% or something at a particular SC or two in a row because less time spent charging reduces total travel time. But if it’s only giving you 15 minutes and you want some more time to eat lunch, then, geez, let it charge whilst you munch. I’ve occasionally had to get up mid-meal, move the car, then go back and finish.

The NoA, Lanekeep, and TACC Is amazing on long trips like these. Have fun!

I have a 2023 MYLR HW3.
Lots of good info in the responses above. Let me add to that a bit.

(I drive a 2022 Model X Plaid ("Red Ryder") that I picked up on 30 June 2022 that has only the standard TACC / Autopilot.)

For some reason I have had 4 screws/nails in Red Ryder, more problems with tires than I have had in the last 20 years. But even when I had a car with a spare, I kept a battery operated tire inflator in my car. I think this is even more important in a car without a spare. This is the one I have:

I have used this inflator a lot, both just to top up the tires and when I got the screws/nails it let me pump up the tire and I had no problem getting to a tire store to have the tire properly fixed.

Do not use those rubber tire plugs, I have been told (by an employee of Discount Tire) if you use those it will void the warranty on your tires. In addition, they are very difficult / impossible to insert into a tire that is still on the car.

I keep tire pucks in Red Ryder's Frunk in case I have to go to a tire place that does not have them:

I have found that the car's prediction of its SOC when reaching the destination to be very accurate. If it is a destination charger, this might be a problem if all the destination chargers are busy or not working. If heading to a destination charger be sure there is a Supercharger within range of your car's SOC at your destination, and I recommend charging so you will have 15-20% SOC when arriving at the next Supercharger.

If you plan on doing a lot of driving at your destination and are in a dense urban environment you might find it a bit more of an effort to charge than when you are at home. I recently did a road trip from Boca Raton, FL to Washington, DC, where I stayed for four nights, in a hotel about 2 blocks from the White House that did not have destination charging and discovered all the Superchargers in the urban DC area are located in parking garages. Not a terrible thing, but certainly less convenient than the Superchargers I was using along I-95 on my way to DC. We did a lot of driving while we were in DC and if the hotel had had a destination charger would have saved a lot of time as we had to go out of our way to charge, and we had to charge in parking garages. At least they were not busy - all but one of the Superchargers were not even 50% busy, except for one which had only two stalls available, so I never had to wait.

From what I have read, in NYC Superchargers are even more of a problem than in the DC area, but destination chargers at hotels may be plentiful. If I was traveling to NYC by car I would likely just park it for the time I was going to be in NYC unlike my recent trip to DC, where we drove around a huge amount because I was born in DC and raised in Bethesda and we drove around visiting friends and places all over the DC/MD/VA area.

As previously mentioned in some of the comments above, you need to be aware of how you will charge once you get to your destination. From past experience this can lead to range anxiety. For example, I once arrived at a friend's house with 18% SOC, and was 45 minutes from the closest supercharger. I had planned on charging at his house from his dryer outlet, but forgot my Tesla Mobile Connector. So now I had to spend about 90 minutes driving to and from the Supercharger, and the time spent charging, and I arrived at the Supercharger with 4%. Not comfortable. In the past I have arrived at this good friend's house with 8% SOC, had I forgot the TMC that time I would have been in a difficult situation. Really felt dumb and embarrassed forgetting the TMC! Good thing that at the last Supercharger I charged so I would arrive at his house with ~20% SOC!

For this reason, I now always keep the TMC and a Lectron Tesla connector to Tesla connector extension cord in Red Ryder's Frunk along with a variety of TMC adaptor cords.

Last comment about charging: when I am going somewhere new I charge so I arrive with ~50% SOC (instead of the usual 20%) until I know the logistics of the charging situation at that location.

I have experienced phantom braking with my 2022 MXP with the standard TACC and Autopilot. It happened several times at night when passing large semi tractor trailer rigs on I-95 on my recent trip. Also, if Red Ryder sees flashing blue/red lights, even on the other side of the highway, it will slow down (not slam on the brakes)...this is on purpose not a mistake. I do not remember it doing this before this trip, perhaps this is a recent change to the software. But if you are going along at 77 mph and slow down when the rest of the traffic is not slowing down because the flashing lights are on the other side of the median, it might not be a safe thing to do.

None of the above has made me to not to want to use Autopilot. The response to both the phantom braking and the red/blue light situation is to be ready to hit the accelerator.

I do not believe standard TACC/Autopilot reads the speed limit signs....I think it gets speed limit information from a database. I expect only EAP and FSD actually reads the physical signs.

One other thing I highly recommend: do not use Autopilot if there is any construction activity. In fact, I usually do not even use cruise control in a construction zone.

I hope the above helps. Once you get back, please let us know how your trip went.

Good luck!

There aren't even any difficult stretches anywhere in this route, so yes, it's easy and certainly possible.