Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Going to Sleep and Waking Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I came home from getting four new tires. Parked the car in the garage and went into the house. The car naturally has the humming noise after it has been driven, opened a door, trunk or frunk. I went back out in the garage about an hour later and it was still making the humming noise. It has never done this before, it usually goes to sleep. Does anyone have any thoughts on what maybe happening? I plugged it in this morning and it is accepting a charge.

That's normal; esp after a drive and as the weather gets warmer. It's the coolant circulation pump dutifully trying to keep your ESS' thermal management in check. Where you live, there's a chance it may run for an even longer time once summer hits and if the car is garaged without cool air circulating.

Calling @shrink out of Roadster retirement so he can provide more commentary even though he's a previous owner now.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
If your pack is above 31C, the coolant pump will stay on indefinitely. It cannot keep up in hotter climates, which is alleviated by charging on 240V. It’s important to note that it must be charged on 240V in order to cool your battery using the HVAC system.

I’ve had success with dialing the amperage down to 16A or lower if taking shorter drives in the Texas summertime. This will give the car more charging time and more ESS cooling cycles.

Reactions: hcsharp
Thanks guys for the GREAT info :). Talked to Pete Gruber also today and he asked if the car was in a garage, I said yes and it was in Climate controlled garage, temp is at 82 to 83 degrees. He said to let it go through the charge cycle and to be sure the coolant level was at the correct level, which I said it was.
More than likely it is my fault as I have a pretty heavy foot which during these hot months in Tucson I will have to back off a little.:mad:
I had it on the 240V charger at 32amps for a couple of hours and then took it off and put it on the 120V 12 amp cord.

Thanks guys for the GREAT info :). Talked to Pete Gruber also today and he asked if the car was in a garage, I said yes and it was in Climate controlled garage, temp is at 82 to 83 degrees. He said to let it go through the charge cycle and to be sure the coolant level was at the correct level, which I said it was.
More than likely it is my fault as I have a pretty heavy foot which during these hot months in Tucson I will have to back off a little.:mad:
I had it on the 240V charger at 32amps for a couple of hours and then took it off and put it on the 120V 12 amp cord.

Is there any reason you stopped charging on 240V and restarted using 110V? You can manually dial down the amps to 12A on 240V using your car’s VDS touchscreen.

Reactions: hcsharp
If your pack is above 31C, the coolant pump will stay on indefinitely. It cannot keep up in hotter climates, which is alleviated by charging on 240V. It’s important to note that it must be charged on 240V in order to cool your battery using the HVAC system.

I’ve had success with dialing the amperage down to 16A or lower if taking shorter drives in the Texas summertime. This will give the car more charging time and more ESS cooling cycles.

Or just move to the Seattle area. That mitigates the thermal load as well! ;)