Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My y not going to sleep ever.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Y not going to deep sleep ever. wakes up exactly every 30 minutes then runs a fan and makes a humming noise then i hear a click sound at the back of the car then it shuts down after 10 minutes. I lose 18 miles a day sitting in the garage doing nothing. I need help!

How old is your 12 V battery?

Do you have a voltmeter? if so, can you measure and record the voltage at different time.

One possibility is that your 12 V battery doesn't keep the charge and the DC/DC inverter is constantly running.

But in this case you should also have a warning message recommending to change the 12 V battery.

Upvote 0
In this case, generate a service ticket. Tesla will certainly run a remote diagnostic.
I suspect that a temperature sensor or something of that nature is not working correctly.
I remember that some people reported this type of issue when the first heat pumps were installed, like four years ago.

Note: There is also a 'Service Mode' that you could activate if you are curious, this might provide some first hand information.

Note: In general is preferable to mention "6%" of range loss a day than "18 miles" of range loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got my MY a couple of weeks ago and had a humming noise frequently (but not every 30 minutes). I brought it to the service and they could not see any problems. The noise seems less frequent now after I figured something out with Sentry mode. Initially, I set my Sentry to OFF "at Home", however it looked like it was still running because I also had some battery drainage. Then I read that you also have to click SET HOME (when you are home) in the navigation screen in order to "tell" sentry where home is. Again, not sure if this causes your issues, but I thought I mention it.

Upvote 0
My Y not going to deep sleep ever. wakes up exactly every 30 minutes then runs a fan and makes a humming noise then i hear a click sound at the back of the car then it shuts down after 10 minutes. I lose 18 miles a day sitting in the garage doing nothing. I need help!
That's interesting. The wife's Model Y that she got last month is a regular Rip Van Winkle. It sleeps almost all of this time. I just checked and out of the last 7 days of not driving he car, it was awake a total of not more than 4 hours. Right now it has been sleeping for the past 22 hours. We are losing about 1 mile every 2 days.

Not sure what to tell you unless you have sentry on or maybe the Tesla app or third-party app is doing it while open.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
Upvote 0
Could be a bad restraint control module (RCM). Someone was losing 13%+ per day and Tesla told them that was within the normal range. They pushed it and the SC discovered a bad RCM. Replacing the RCM fixed the problem.

See this thread:

Upvote 0
What is your state of charge level when the car is parked? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're leaving it at 100% then I believe the car will be awake more often to do more work managing the temperature and stress on the batteries.
* 100% charge is probably not a concern if you have LFP battery

Upvote 0