Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WarpedOne

Supreme Premier
Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2006
Slovenia, Europe
And speaking of Martin's car, it was ALSO in the service bay today. I was told it was in for its first scheduled service. I was wondering when I might see Martin's car by chance around the Bay Area, and today was the day

Could be. He said he made over 1000 miles already.

Do we know official service intervals? I don't remember reading anything about that anywhere ...

And speaking of Martin's car, it was ALSO in the service bay today. I was told it was in for its first scheduled service. I was wondering when I might see Martin's car by chance around the Bay Area, and today was the day.

Perhaps to get the iPhone/iPod stuff sorted out?

I vaguely remember someone from Tesla being asked in an interview (maybe Town Hall?) about frequency of maintenance. They replied that in general their car would require little maintenance beyond tires, but that the first few they made they would want to service more frequently to make sure everything was okay under real world driving. This is probably why Martin's car is back for maintenance so soon.

Also there was the firmware problem that TEG or someone mentioned earlier that his car exhibited. It is possible they want to upgrade him to a later version.

The salesman at the Tesla dealership told me that the Roadster requires a $1000 tune up every year.

Ouch, That seems high and unreasonable. What happened to the "never needs service" of an EV? Worse yet, a salesman might even sugarcoat such numbers :eek:.

Since for drivetrain service you have to take the car to a Tesla dealership you are stuck. I wonder if this type of scheduled service will affect the car's warranty.

Still, a common Ferrari 308 GTSi needs a tuneup every 3k miles. This guy says it's $4K:
eBay Guides - Buying a used Ferrari

What is there to tune?

Software timing?

I could understand maybe needing to tweak brakes, steering, shocks, but not for $1000

This makes no sense.

(Unless you're a dealer, I suppose)

I'm also interested what would require $1000/year of tune-ups given this car is advertised as basically maintenance free besides from the stuff you mentioned.

I'm also interested what would require $1000/year of tune-ups given this car is advertised as basically maintenance free besides from the stuff you mentioned.

Perhaps the Tesla salesman was just mentioning average maintenance per year based on the cost of the tires. The tires cannot be rotated and will probably be pretty expensive to replace... I easily spend $1000/year on tires alone on my Mercedes, and it is not nearly as tire-shredding as a Tesla should be.

Perhaps the Tesla salesman was just mentioning average maintenance per year based on the cost of the tires. The tires cannot be rotated and will probably be pretty expensive to replace... I easily spend $1000/year on tires alone on my Mercedes, and it is not nearly as tire-shredding as a Tesla should be.
If it includes replacing tires then that kind of makes sense, but now William3 says it's just the battery, hmm.

I hope TM is only doing this as a way to milk some cash from their customers, or maybe they're only going to be doing this for their first few batches of cars in order to ensure quality.
Given that Tesla advertises that they are trying to aim for a different kind of dealer experience ("Apple Store" experience), hopefully they don't attempt to milk customers like typical dealers do.

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread.

My car was in the shop to fix a few things. They replaced the satellite radio module (!) to fix both my iPod and iPhone problems. Both work correctly now. Note that I am not a satellite radio subscriber... And I still think the radio sucks - the user interface from hell. Weird to plug into it one of the finest user interfaces, the iPod.

I had them fix a few other problems on the car, and I see no point in chronicling them here or on my blog - when I signed up for car #2, I fully expected a few teething problems, and I am happy if Tesla follows through to correct them.

I had a chat with one of the Tesla folks today about this: as a shareholder in Tesla, I want them to dig to the bottom of every problem that I report to determine the true root cause, and make sure that the problem is eliminated from all future cars. (Any of you that is familiar with the Lean concept of "five why's" will understand my comments to the Tesla guys. If you don't know this concept, ask me over on my blog and I will expound it :rolleyes:)

I have not heard of this $1,000 per year service charge, and I think it an outrage. This is WAY more than what I pay in annual service for any other car I own or have owned: Ford, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, etc.

You are right: an electric car should cost less to service than a gasoline car, and there BETTER NOT be any annual "battery balancing" requirement.

Let's say there is some design screw-up in the battery pack, and it somehow does need to be touched by technicians annually. The trouble with charging customers money for this "service" is that it drives entirely the wrong behavior into the company. The company needs to feel pain for its mistakes so that it is motivated to correct them, and to correct the processes that lead to the creation of the mistake in the first place. (Back to the five why's) By charging the customer money, the company feels no pain - indeed the screw-up becomes a revenue source for the company.

This is the death spiral that drives stupidity into the existing car companies: the dealerships make their money on service (even warranty service) and so relish unreliability in the cars they sell. Tesla had hoped to avoid this broken feedback by owning its own stores. Seems they have forgotten this principle.

I hope this turns out to be not true - that Tesla is not charging a grand for some bogus annual service.