Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack bar separation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about getting a roof rack, and the sensible options seem to be either the official Tesla one or the SeaSucker Monkey bars. I'm guessing the Tesla ones are more streamlined and quieter, and the SeaSuckers more flexible - especially when it comes to ease of removal.

One thing I wondered about was the spacing between the bars. Does anybody know what that is in the standard Tesla setup, and whether the SeaSuckers would sensibly allow for a larger spacing?

I'm thinking about long things like double kayaks, and having the bars farther apart should give more stability. The Tesla ones look fairly close together to me...

Quentin

The Tesla Racks are spaced at 28 inches on center. I can't say anything about the SeaSuckers as I have no experience with them.
I do however transport 13.5 foot kayaks all the time without any issues besides range loss.
IMG_8862[1].JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

• Love
Reactions: CMc1
Looks good!

Many thanks for the measurements. It's also good to see several people fixing the bow and stern ties that way... I was a bit worried about the forces on the hood, but I guess they don't need to be super tight...

Quentin

Can you give an idea of the range loss? Toying with getting the roof rack but worried it will affect the range too much!
Thanks

I am not sure if you are just looking for data on a bare roof rack or with cargo box or kayaks etc.
As for the bare roof racks, I am sure it is some, but I have had them on for so long now that I just think it is normal. When I have the kayaks or cargo box on it, it really depends on how windy that day is, but I can safely say that in a less windy day you are looking at around 30 to 35% range loss and on a windy day it is 50%.

There are more than a few forums where some have attempted to get some idea on the range loss with the racks and with attachments (a couple of links below, but there are even more).

Unscientific roof rack efficiency test (Model 3)

Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies

I myself could never survive with the roof racks, had them on my last 3 cars and didn't know how I got by before that.

I'm thinking about getting a roof rack, and the sensible options seem to be either the official Tesla one or the SeaSucker Monkey bars. I'm guessing the Tesla ones are more streamlined and quieter, and the SeaSuckers more flexible - especially when it comes to ease of removal.

One thing I wondered about was the spacing between the bars. Does anybody know what that is in the standard Tesla setup, and whether the SeaSuckers would sensibly allow for a larger spacing?

I'm thinking about long things like double kayaks, and having the bars farther apart should give more stability. The Tesla ones look fairly close together to me...

Quentin
Tesla and SeaSucker are now saying not to attach the suckers to the sunroof on M3. Only use rear window and metal on top of boot lid. OK for bikes but not for anything that needs to be mounted horizontally