Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 roof bar alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Looking to fit a roof bar and bike racks to carry 2 adults and one kids bike on the roof.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper versions of the Tesla official roof bars?

Thanks

Found this online for MY, I have my reservations, it seems to be adhesive mounted roof rails on the glass roof. Any thoughts?

3_3053270d-ee7a-4a8a-84f5-11d6a2ebd9a1.jpg

Found this online for MY, I have my reservations, it seems to be adhesive mounted roof rails on the glass roof. Any thoughts?

3_3053270d-ee7a-4a8a-84f5-11d6a2ebd9a1.jpg
Would not trust that when it gets hot and the adhesive becomes a bit liquid... I prefer a more permanent fixture!

Correct. The roof bars attach to a metal bracket under the glass and rest on the metal parts on the sides of the roof.
Depending on the fitment of the glass, the roof bars may not even touch the glass.

This is right, the roof bar doesn't touch the glass, as a test you can slide a credit card underneath:

Not touching the glass .jpg

I have Tesla bars, but I use them to carry stuff like tubs or conduits, or plywood who would otherwise not fit inside the car.

However, I would not put any bicycles on the roof from previous bad experiences...
One time at night, on an hotel parking lot, I hit a branch of a tree and the fork of my bike made a big dent in my roof.
You cannot use underground parking lots if you need to got shopping or use some Superchargers located inside a building.

Also bicycle mounted on the roof will strongly decrease your range when driving on freeway.

Last edited:
This is right, the roof bar doesn't touch the glass, as a test you can slide a credit card underneath:

View attachment 954260

I have Tesla bars, but I use them to carry stuff like tubs or conduits, or plywood who would otherwise not fit inside the car.

However, I would not put any bicycles on the roof from previous bad experiences...
One time at night, on an hotel parking lot, I hit a branch of a tree and the fork of my bike made a big dent in my roof.
You cannot use underground parking lots if you need to got shopping or use some Superchargers located inside a building.

Also bicycle mounted on the roof will strongly decrease your range when driving on freeway.
I use a roof box with the bars and it’s not so bad. The car is is so low the added height from the roof box doesn’t make it any taller than a big SUV. There is some impact on range, but it’s not horrific.