Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Solar Shade - Group Buy - Who's in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The retractable roof solar shade briefly sold on this forum by a few companies, and presently sold by RPM for $561 plus $100 shipping, is available on Alibaba for $125-$150. This is without shipping, and the differences appear to be required minimum order.

I propose a group purchase. I'd orchestrate for free, but I've literally no agenda and don't care if somebody more known to the forums steps in to do the work. Frankly, if somebody on the west coast does this shipping is probably cheaper (I'm in illinois).

Here's what I'm thinking:
1) Those interested respond herein.
2) The lowest minimum order quantity is 4. Once we pass that I'll/whoever holds for 2 weeks, summarize to all where we're at, and request pricing. If we hit 10 or more then we can save 20-30$ each.
3) Each of us to investigate our own shipping from me/whoever. If I do it we're shipping via one vendor, either UPS or FedEx, TBD. I suppose I'm mildly agnostic.
4) Those electing to commit will need to pay upfront. A receipt for literally everything should be scanned and shared herein.
5) Before you provide funds I/the coordinator will engage whoever is the longest tenured member and the member with the most posts deeply enough that they should be able to determine if the elected coordinator is legit or not. Again, anybody can offer/insist to be the coordinator.

What are the risks?
1) You don't know me/whoever. This ain't a lot of money to become a felon, but I suspect there are low-life's that would do worse. Buyer beware.
2) If I do it consider this: I'm not RPM. I offer no customer service, warranty, or etc. Obviously I won't accept obviously damaged products, but none of us really know what's inside those boxes. Nor do I consent to become an arbiter of problems. I MAY, I'm not an ass, but let's be clear up front: You should expect nothing other than I collect funds, forward it, fill out some labels,and forward parcels to you. End. Remember, I'm doing this to help us all, not for profit. Nor would I accept anything.

What else:
I have literally no idea what a mod might say. We may need to each throw a few dollars to the forum, or the mods may agree this is simply forum members working for the greater good of the members. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

What about RPM:
Personally, I wish RPM wasn't out of their minds about pricing. Had they marked the product up something reasonable I'd pay for some convenience and accountability. A 400% markup? Shipping to them is not that expensive. Not only nope, but I'm reconsidering what I think of them.

Here are various reference links:

Reactions: Tcorn
MOQ is 1 if you order a sample at $190 each, given how large and heavy this item is I am pretty sure it would be cheaper to order directly rather than somebody doing a group buy

High_Quality_Y_Sunroof_Sunshade_Magnetic_Retractable_Sunshade_For_Tesla_Y_Integrated_Sunshade_...jpg

Reactions: dvlsd
What else:
I have literally no idea what a mod might say. We may need to each throw a few dollars to the forum, or the mods may agree this is simply forum members working for the greater good of the members. I suppose we'll find out soon enough

(moderator note)

I will respond to this from a moderator perspective. The answer to this question, frankly is that whether we allow it or not is somewhat nuanced. I will speak in generalities here.

If it looks like someone is trying to astroturf, or organize group buys for something that should be a vendor (like group buys for a specific PPF / Tint shop, or anything else where it looks like the situation dictates its something masquerading as a group buy to avoid vendor fees here) then we remove it.

If it actually looks like a member trying to organize something for other members, and they are not benefiting from it (no referral codes, etc) then we tend to let it go.

So, its nuanced and there isnt a blanket "we simply are not going to allow it" nor, a blanket "its all good" situation. In this case based on what I am seeing regarding this, at this time I dont see any issues with you organizing this group buy for the purpose you mentioned.

Reactions: Pianewman
JJ:
Thank you sir.

All:
I'll for sure check the shipping costs qty 1 vs 4 vs 10. I was leaning towards the exact opposite.: I'm assuming overseas shipping of one is going to be relatively expensive vs shipping 4, or 10. We'll see soon enough, and as I've said nothing will happen without full transparency.

If I do this payment and personal information is ONLY via PM's on this forum. Everything else, costs, vendors, etc will be copied onto this thread.

JJ:
Thank you sir.

All:
I'll for sure check the shipping costs qty 1 vs 4 vs 10. I was leaning towards the exact opposite.: I'm assuming overseas shipping of one is going to be relatively expensive vs shipping 4, or 10. We'll see soon enough, and as I've said nothing will happen without full transparency.

If I do this payment and personal information is ONLY via PM's on this forum. Everything else, costs, vendors, etc will be copied onto this thread.
let us know how it goes I'm potentially interested, for reference the package size and weight is:

1681601104684.png

it's huge

here's a quote with a deep UPS discount from CA to IL:
1681601281685.png

How does this thing look fully open?
If you look at the videos (in the original post) you'll get some idea. I don't think anyone in this forum has it installed yet.

My concern is the integrity of the design. As wide as this is, if it doesn't track smoothly on both sides, opening/closing could be a real pain, and it seems to me the accordion material might be easily damaged. (I think we've all dealt with home window blinds...)

I'm also wondering about the heat reflective characteristics, if the material is too thin.

I might be interested in a purchase, though, since it's the only system that offers the convenience of opening/closing easily.

I installed one which I ordered from Taptes for the $500 price last October. Install was relatively easy. The front window shades are strong enough to hold it up.
There are some youtube videos that show installation but I would tell you that the front clips that install into the headliner are pretty tight.
As a result they don't slide sideways once they snap into the headliner. The trick is to put up some painters tape on the headliner and then hold up one side with the sunshade and then on the other side once you are centered line up the screw hole in the retractable shade with the painters tape on the headliner and make centered mark on the tape. Once you do that you snap on the clip to the head liner. Screw it in lightly then go to the other side and repeat.

So far I have had it for the winter months and not a good hot day. I have only pulled the front one in about 6 inches or so to keep the sun off of my eyes during certain times of the day. Once summer kicks in I will more than likely close them both.

Thought I might share a hope/dream I have for this shade:

I find the Y interior lights to be someplace between poor and useless. I also don't see any good way to fix that. However, the frame of above mentioned shade should, I hope, give me good locations for mounting and wiring LED light strips. Sure is my plan....