Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough Pricing Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm basing this off of the current (as of 2/12) Model S config page, as well as using a little common sense, using what EM has told us about what to expect. I'll start with price estimate, and then add my reasoning:

Base model:
$35,000

Paint:
$0 for standard colors
$750-1250 for metallic, etc. (I am guessing here that it will come in less pricey than Model S paint, because A: now Tesla is dealing in volume. and B: EM has told us the Model 3 will be 20% smaller=less surface area=less paint)

Roof:
$0 for body color
$1250 for pano. As discussed in other threads, Pano won't likely be included...but it will be a smaller roof, and presumably Tesla will get some discounts for buying parts in bulk.

Wheels/tires:
Anywhere between $1500 and $2000. Remember...this is a smaller car, so the standard size will probably be 17, maybe 18. with upgrades to 18 or 19.

Here's where we're in the dark still....
Battery Pack/Drivetrain configs
RWD/FWD(?), smallest battery: $0, Supercharging extra? If so, $2500 for life to activate?
RWD/FWD+ mid-range battery: +$2,000 (Gigafactory online, economy of scale)
(will probably have to upgrade to dual motor/AWD to get top battery, and likely can't get AWD w/smallest battery)

AWD+mid-range battery= $7500
AWD+top battery= $10000

Autopilot software enabled from factory= $2500
Premium sound= $1750 (smaller car...likely less speakers)
Cold Weather Package: $750. smaller car, economy of scale
Air suspension (if even offered): $2000
Upscale interior and lighting: $2500

So....all told, you can spend $35000 for the barebones model, or...if you're checking all the boxes....Around $58,000?

It would make sense that a loaded M3 comes in < a base Model S.......

I'm sure this will get ripped to shreds...but, thoughts?

I expect only two battery configs, because that's what Tesla generally has had. I do think AWD+expanded battery will be more than $10000. AWD plus expanded battery is now $18000 on the Model S.

Also, you forgot the performance version, which is where Tesla really rakes in the bucks.

I expect only two battery configs, because that's what Tesla generally has had. I do think AWD+expanded battery will be more than $10000. AWD plus expanded battery is now $18000 on the Model S.

Also, you forgot the performance version, which is where Tesla really rakes in the bucks.

The variable here is the price of producing these batteries. I "guessed" $10K because the Gigafactory will be online and pumping these batteries out in-house. It may be more....but I still say a loaded M3 will have to come in at < MS.

And yes, I did forget a "Performance" model...and any appearance packages that come with......

So......+$20K for that? (because it obviously adds AWD/Max Battery/Perf upgrades/appearance package)

The variable here is the price of producing these batteries. I "guessed" $10K because the Gigafactory will be online and pumping these batteries out in-house. It may be more....but I still say a loaded M3 will have to come in at < MS.

And yes, I did forget a "Performance" model...and any appearance packages that come with......

So......+$20K for that? (because it obviously adds AWD/Max Battery/Perf upgrades/appearance package)

My guess is that a fully loaded performance Model 3 comes in at about the same as a stripped Model S at 70K.

Its been repeated here before, but if you look at the BMW 3-series vs the BMW 7-series, for example, you could pay about $90,000 for a fully loaded M3 and the 7-series starts at $81,300.

Although, on the Audi side, I was only able to get up to $65,525 for a maxed out S4, but the A7 starts at $68,300. BUt if you consider the A8L closer to the MS, then that model starts at $81,500.

I agree with trackside. I think that if you check every box you are going to tip the scale of the model 3 close to 80k. Your talking larger battery, Ludacris mode and all the addition will for sure push it up there. Even the model S starts at 75k and just about doubles with everything added.

Now that we've only got 70 and 90 battery options for the Model S, I think we'll only see 60 and 80 (or 85). Add the 10k for Ludicrous and you're probably about right. Nearly 70k for a loaded M3. Which is exactly what I'd get if it's offered. They may save Ludicrous only for the S and X though, to lure potential buyers that want the quickest, most powerful car.

Its been repeated here before, but if you look at the BMW 3-series vs the BMW 7-series, for example, you could pay about $90,000 for a fully loaded M3 and the 7-series starts at $81,300.

Although, on the Audi side, I was only able to get up to $65,525 for a maxed out S4, but the A7 starts at $68,300. BUt if you consider the A8L closer to the MS, then that model starts at $81,500.

Maybe we should get away from comparing performance variants when talking pricing. we don't know if the Model 3 will even have a performance version.

So when talking Audi, throw out anything with an S.

BMW? throw out all the M's

Also, when talking about those other manufacturers, it's probably more realistic to talk about the pricing between an A4 and an A6, or a 3-series and a 5-series.

I get that the Model S is the top of Tesla's line, but the Model 3 price puts it more in line with an A4 or a 3-series. by jumping from comparing an S4 to an A7? That's a leap in the product lineup.

but even more importantly than that.....this is Tesla. who knows what EM will do to challenge the status quo in the car industry....?