Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rub mark in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seen this? The red light is rubbing on the inside of the clear plastic, same on both sides.

IMG_0429.jpeg IMG_0428.jpeg

If the lights inside are able to move against the clear outer lens they may not be tightly screwed into the casing. When I took my rear lights out to fix the condensation problem I removed 3 screws in the back of the plastic casing to allow the moisture out before sealing and refitting them. You don't need to remove the lights to check, you can get access from inside by pulling back the boot carpet and check those screws are tight.

• Informative
Reactions: Doofty and Durzel
Indeed, perfect weather for ceramic coating too, first time and seems to have gone on well, just need to see how well it hold up. Here are some pics, before the clean:
IMG_0439.jpeg

after + ceramic coating:
IMG_0449.jpeg

Detail of light with issue (clean this time):
IMG_0447.jpeg

If the lights inside are able to move against the clear outer lens they may not be tightly screwed into the casing. When I took my rear lights out to fix the condensation problem I removed 3 screws in the back of the plastic casing to allow the moisture out before sealing and refitting them. You don't need to remove the lights to check, you can get access from inside by pulling back the boot carpet and check those screws are tight.
So the lights in question are the ones on the boot door itself so no boot carpet. I'd need to pull back the plastic cover to access the lights which I'm not too keen on doing myself. The lights are these, arrows pointing to the marks:
IMG_0457.jpg

Close up looking in from the side shows the red part touching the clear exterior plastic (boot is in the open position so the light is pointing upwards, hence the orientation):
IMG_0459.jpg

Perhaps time to contact Tesla before the lights wear a hole through the exterior.