Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Brand new weird liquid run etching on glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My girlfriend bought a brand new long range 2023 model 3.

It has a weird what I can best describe as liquid etching all over the glass that is only visible when wet and in certain lighting conditions.

I took some photos that show it.

Have tried clay bar and just rubbing it seems very solid, cannot be felt when you rub your finger over it. It almost looks like some fluid spilled on it and sort of dried in place or something.

You can clearly see where the liquid ran due to gravity and left a trail, this extends to the rear glass and roof as well. When the glass is dry you can’t see it.

Any idea what this is? Should I compound and polish it with cutting compound?

Attachments

• IMG_7142.jpeg
    IMG_7142.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7140.jpeg
    IMG_7140.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7139.jpeg
    IMG_7139.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7141.jpeg
    IMG_7141.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 20
Hi all,

It has a weird what I can best describe as liquid etching all over the glass that is only visible when wet and in certain lighting conditions.

Have tried clay bar and just rubbing it seems very solid, cannot be felt when you rub your finger over it. It almost looks like some fluid spilled on it and sort of dried in place or something.

You can clearly see where the liquid ran due to gravity and left a trail, this extends to the rear glass and roof as well. When the glass is dry you can’t see it.

I don’t think I would go that route. I would probably try something with vinegar to cut through whatever is on the glass. Have you tried to razor blade window scraper on the outside only. Especially do not try this on the back window on the inside. I know it might sound lame, and I’m not saying that to insult anyone, but it would be a costly mistake. Personally, I would take this back to Tesla and make it their problem. Best of luck.

Reactions: Raroia
If Tesla is going to cover it under warranty, go for it.

If not, try 0000 steel wool and glass cooktop cleaner.

If that doesn’t work, use cerium oxide and polish the glass.

That’s messy stuff, so I’d also recommend covering the paint before polishing the glass.

That looks like "ghosting" that sometimes hangs around after using some chemicals on glass (including some washer fluids). Use something like vinegar or regular rubbing alcohol and see if that doesn't remove it. New cars often have a kind of protective coating in the glass and water and/or window cleaners won't cut through it all the way for awhile. Either way, I'll bet the Tesla Service Centers have chemicals that will safety and effectively remove it.

Just me, but I definitely would not use steel wool or compound on my windows!!!

Just me, but I definitely would not use steel wool or compound on my windows!!!
Fearmongering. I have personally used both methods will success. 0000 steel wool and glass cooktop cleaner worked great on hard water stains that didn’t come out with vinegar or Chemical Guys water spot remover. Cerium oxide took out small, visible scratches in the glass.

I have the same issue with my 2023 M3P. The reflections and haziness made it dangerous to drive at night with oncoming headlights. Straight 90% rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and clay sponge didn’t make a dent.

Do you wash the car with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax? I’m starting to suspect that this caused my issue because I don’t recall seeing the etching/haze last rainy season. My car is garaged, so it shouldn’t be acid rain or hard water.

What helped was using Stoners glass stripper, which you can find on Amazon or at Walmart. Applying by hand took care about 60% of it and going back with a random orbital polisher took it to about 90%. I can still see some ghosting spots when hand cleaning the windshield, but it isn’t very noticeable from the inside.

Hi all,

find your favorite detailer and have them look at it
making sure they don't send the vehicle in the brush car wash
they can take the skilled time and fix the glass
if its damage from delivery and they cannot fix, have them write up what they cannot fix and then give to Tesla
having a pro involved gives the problem immediate validity

good luck

I have the same issue with my 2023 M3P. The reflections and haziness made it dangerous to drive at night with oncoming headlights. Straight 90% rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and clay sponge didn’t make a dent.

Do you wash the car with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax? I’m starting to suspect that this caused my issue because I don’t recall seeing the etching/haze last rainy season. My car is garaged, so it shouldn’t be acid rain or hard water.

What helped was using Stoners glass stripper, which you can find on Amazon or at Walmart. Applying by hand took care about 60% of it and going back with a random orbital polisher took it to about 90%. I can still see some ghosting spots when hand cleaning the windshield, but it isn’t very noticeable from the inside.
Was it etching or a deposit?

I have had a similar problem on our car since new a year ago. Nothing seems to get rid of it and the service center "can't reproduce" the problem. It is especially bad at night in the rain. I tried glass stripper, alcohol, magic eraser, polishing compound, dawn, changing wipers, all without any change. I don't use rainx and just the blue windshield wiper fluid.

Any other suggestions?

videoframe_1152.png