Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubbing alcohol odor when getting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, for the last couple weeks, I’ve noticed a fairly strong scent of what smells like rubbing alcohol when I get in my car. Once the vent comes on, the odor goes away. I have never smelled this before. Does anyone happen to know if this may be?

The car is about 4 months old with 3880 miles, and there is a bit of new car smell, but this doesn’t smell like the usual glues and resins, and has only recently appeared.

thank you

Hello, for the last couple weeks, I’ve noticed a fairly strong scent of what smells like rubbing alcohol when I get in my car. Once the vent comes on, the odor goes away. I have never smelled this before. Does anyone happen to know if this may be?

The car is about 4 months old with 3880 miles, and there is a bit of new car smell, but this doesn’t smell like the usual glues and resins, and has only recently appeared.

thank you
How bizarre. My car is similar age and miles. Last night my family and I were in the car and smelled something very similar. And you are spot on. Smelled exactly like pure alcohol. FWIW our conditions were 50 degrees outside pouring rain. Only thing I could figure was possibly I bumped the end of the wiper stalk activating the windshield washer, which does smell of alcohol. Or possibly mine has a disconnected window washer hose and is leaking as has been documented.

How bizarre. My car is similar age and miles. Last night my family and I were in the car and smelled something very similar. And you are spot on. Smelled exactly like pure alcohol. FWIW our conditions were 50 degrees outside pouring rain. Only thing I could figure was possibly I bumped the end of the wiper stalk activating the windshield washer, which does smell of alcohol. Or possibly mine has a disconnected window washer hose and is leaking as has been documented.

Yep I think that's what it is. By chance I had to clean my windshield and got the same odor. Hoping that's all it is... :)