Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust proofing with HoneySeal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm back and forth on having our new model 3 protected from all the salt and grim that accumulates over the winter months here in southern Ontario. I haven't come across much info on this, whether it's a good idea or not. I'm guessing this is due to the model 3 only being around for the last 5 years, so maybe issues will start showing up soon. I've come across posts on the warranty information, and that the warranty is void if you apply an undercoat or rust prevention spray. Unless Tesla has done something special to the components of the car I can't imagine the car will withstand multiple winters with no corrosion or rust. I've been chatting with a guy from a company called HoneySeal in Oakville, Undercoating | HoneySeal who has mentioned they have an EV friendly product. If I get this done, this is the product I'm going with. I'm curious if anyone has undercoated their car, and if so, what product have you used and what was the process like.

There are some old 2018/2019 threads on here and the other forum about a. rust proofing b. winterizing your Tesla by a few people who live up North (Canada, Alaska, Norway, etc)

Concensus fell where it usually does - all relative and dependent on cars use, expected service life with current owner, etc.

Paint sandblasting and wear (rockers, fenders, wheel wells, leading edges) are also a prime concern and likely the issue you have seen many horror threads about.

Thanks for the response. Agreed regarding your comment on consensus, I have found the same while sifting through articles. I plan on keeping the car for 5+ years so in my eyes it's a worthwhile investment. I feel like the company I found to do the process has a good product. I've spoken with them and the gentlemen I spoke with seems to really know his stuff. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and then post the results for others. I've had warranty claims in the past with another manufacturer and to be honest, once panels start rusting out, it's very hard and expensive to properly fix them. One of my previous vehicles was repaired under manufacturer warranty and it only lasted a couple years, the rust eventually came back. I'm pretty sure the workmanship wasn't the best, but still. I realize I'm forgoing my warranty, however, as long as the process doesn't hurt anything, more protection is better than none IMO. Especially in this environment.

Wow. I searched and discovered this. I had experienced the Northern rotor rusts. I learned that to reduce the rust during the colder months or winter months, just don't use the standard brake regen mode. This mode will not heat the rotors up enough to get rid of the rust on the rotors. Could prolong the life of your rotors. I had my 2017 Model S brand new, and at 100k miles was when it failed inspection because of the rusted rotors.

@cmaster thanks for the comment. It reminded me I needed to post some pics as I had the process done. Everything went great with the exception of my PPF. Some of it lifted during the process. If anyone plans on doing this, I recommend doing it before the PPF is applied, or let them know about the PPF. Otherwise I'm very happy with the product. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good tip on the regen. My rotors are fine so far, car is still new so maybe that's why. I'm also a spirited driver at times so I use the brakes a little more often.

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_104852_edit_226134984801951.jpg
    IMG_20221229_104852_edit_226134984801951.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20221229_104924_edit_226163660709760.jpg
    IMG_20221229_104924_edit_226163660709760.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20221230_090716.jpg
    IMG_20221230_090716.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20221230_090724.jpg
    IMG_20221230_090724.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20221230_093438.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093438.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20221230_093505.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093505.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20221230_093529.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093529.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20221230_093617.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093617.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20221230_093729.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093729.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20221230_093815_edit_279107934327201.jpg
    IMG_20221230_093815_edit_279107934327201.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: MarkoP and cmaster
@cmaster thanks for the comment. It reminded me I needed to post some pics as I had the process done. Everything went great with the exception of my PPF. Some of it lifted during the process. If anyone plans on doing this, I recommend doing it before the PPF is applied, or let them know about the PPF. Otherwise I'm very happy with the product. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good tip on the regen. My rotors are fine so far, car is still new so maybe that's why. I'm also a spirited driver at times so I use the brakes a little more often.
Hi, I did a google search and found your thread. I am also thinking of getting a Model 3 and thinking doing the same thing. I just got 2 questions, how much does it cost you to do this HoneySeal on Model 3? I also notices on there website they came with a 3 years warranty. How long does this coating last? 3 years?

Thank you for the help.

Hey, sorry for the delay. I was out of town. I'm more then happy to answer your questions. The total cost of the job was $1,209.09. I believe the warranty covers all areas for 3 years - including the high impact ones. What I was told is, the car would most likely need to come back in 3-5 years for a top up in the high impact areas. Seeing as this is relatively new vehicle for this process, he's not entirely sure where those impact areas will be. There is a good chance that I bring the car back and nothing needs to be done. I was one of the first model 3s done. I believe he's done a few Ys. Everything is still 100% and I've had it through the winter with multiple trips up north. Time will tell, but I'm still glad I had it done, and happy with the results.

Hey, sorry for the delay. I was out of town. I'm more then happy to answer your questions. The total cost of the job was $1,209.09. I believe the warranty covers all areas for 3 years - including the high impact ones. What I was told is, the car would most likely need to come back in 3-5 years for a top up in the high impact areas. Seeing as this is relatively new vehicle for this process, he's not entirely sure where those impact areas will be. There is a good chance that I bring the car back and nothing needs to be done. I was one of the first model 3s done. I believe he's done a few Ys. Everything is still 100% and I've had it through the winter with multiple trips up north. Time will tell, but I'm still glad I had it done, and happy with the results.
Thank you for your reply... I just saw your post.. Just one last question, how long does it take to do the entire process? I guess it take a few days? They just release the new Model 3 today in US/Canada. I am just waiting till April to put my order in... I don't want to get my car in the winter. Thanks again for your reply.

Thank you for your reply... I just saw your post.. Just one last question, how long does it take to do the entire process? I guess it take a few days? They just release the new Model 3 today in US/Canada. I am just waiting till April to put my order in... I don't want to get my car in the winter. Thanks again for your reply.
Yes, I noted the same regarding the Model 3 refresh. I would miss the wiper and drive stalks from the steering wheel column, otherwise it seems like a step in the right direction, especially with better glass insulation and suspension.

Good call not taking delivery in the winter, although this winter has been super mild and not much salt has been layed down. Given the option I would still wait as you are. I didn't really have a choice as I ordered mine when they were the most expensive and had the longest lead time.... I digress, back to your question.

If you make an appointment, which you need to do, then, seeing as your car will be new, it should only take 1 day. Mine was done in a day and I seem to recall picking it up that afternoon / evening or the following morning. If the car is a year or more old then they typically need to dry ice blast parts of the frame before applying the coating, and this could add some additional time / labor which might result in an extra day. When I used the service they weren't trying to get as many cars through the door as possible. They book appropriately and seem to take their time with the vehicle to make sure it's done right. So chances are your car and maybe one other would be the only vehicles in that day. If you are taking delivery in Oakville you can literally drive it across the street to HoneySeal. Hope this helps.