Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sabaru EV 2009

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go Subaru!

Sounds good to me --and I'll bet to lots of other folks, too. Our last two Subarus have been great cars, the current one the best I've ever owned (including my Z3). Not everyone is keen on drag racing on main street, but simply want a clean, green commuter. Isn't this why the name "Bluestar" gets mentioned from time to time around here? But... I suppose one man's practicality is another man's punishment.

I have to side with Malcolm on this one.

Teensy-tiny car with 50 HP and only 50 miles range? You can get almost that much range out of homebrew conversions with old gas cars and lead-acid batteries. This is exactly the sort of car that companies offered during the ZEV Mandate era, but few wanted them.

I'm sure it will be practical for some people, and if your only goal is to make your daily commute without gasoline, and your daily commute isn't too long. . . then sure, it might work. But it's hardly something to get excited over, and it's not a car with any other real selling points aside from being electric.

Plus they are only going to make 100 in 2009? I assume it will be sold only in Japan first. Big yawn.

To each his own

C'mon you guys. Don't dismiss Subaru just because of this first R1e model. Of course it can't compare with a Tesla --including the price tag. You gotta start somewhere, and in fact the company has already produced a more upscale G4e prototype with a more decent 125 mile range:

MegaWorks - Subaru G4e

You can watch a video of it hear:

YouTube - Subaru G4e Concept Car

Yes, those first 100 R1e models are to be sold in 2009 in Japan --not the USA. By the time Subaru brings an EV here, you can bet it will have specs more like the G4e.

By the way, how can you say that "few wanted them" at the time of the ZEV mandate? I know of no EV from that era that wasn't in demand: GM, Toyota, Honda, they all made far fewer vehicles than the number of customers who wanted one --despite GM's assertion (lie) to the contrary. I know of no highway-speed EV back then that simply sat on the lot with no buyers. None. In point of fact, aren't used RAV4-EVs now selling for about twice their original price? Few wanted them, huh?

"Selling points aside from being electric"? Well, for lots of folks that is the prime selling point. They'd be happy with an EV version of a SmartCar or a Mini Cooper, believe me.

This group of drivers wants more than that, however --which is why you gather in this particular forum, right?

Valid point; without the Tesla Roadster, it's like time has stood still for the last ten years.

The mindset is still fixed on punishment cars; either styling punishment - like the Aptera, or range punishment - G-Wiz, Subaru, etc etc

Even Tesla themselves seem to have lost their self-belief and seem set on de-evolving their battery systems to support the common denominator of PHEVs and REEVs.

Guess they can't wait to become a "real car company". Yeah, let the engineers go; hire more lawyers. It's the Detroit way.

Meanwhile, EVolution is back-pedaling.

Try not to gag

Malcolm: Hmmm. Like I said... what is "punishment" to one man....

I am often an "odd-man-out," but at this point, if an EV1 were refitted with lithium ion batteries, say an EV2, I think I'd rather have it than a Roadster. As for the Aptera, I love its looks! I realize this probably makes you gag, given your reaction, but you might have guessed by the old TV prop I use as an avatar that my tastes lean in that direction. Are you as old as I am that you can tell my what the TV show was...? :confused:

I'm pretty sure any EV Subaru ships to North America will have 100+mpc. I don't see this as a punishment car either but hopefully it will be more like the G4e rather than the R1e.
Also, the $17,500 price tag is a lot easier for me to swallow than any of the other EV's in the pipeline.
I have to say I like the looks of the Aptera too. Definitely more than the EV1.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see this car, and hope it's a success. If it's to be sold in the U.S., range is going to have to be boosted to 100-plus miles and freeway speeds. Otherwise, I'll rank it with Zap's product line. Still, Suburu is one of the big guys getting into the game. Finally.

As for the Devolution of Tesla, who knows. I read a great article on rumors at Chrysler, but it is very interesting what a private auto manufacturer can do that a public one cannot. Tesla falls into that category but for how long? The Chrysler rumor mill - Jan. 4, 2008.

Last edited:
There was an interesting paragraph in the bottom of that article at Megawattmotorworks.
"In addition, FHI is currently conducting performance tests on prototype cells of a new Li-ion capacitor with enhanced power density (instantaneous force) and high energy density (cruising distance) for a next-generation vehicle that meets goals for sustainability without sacrificing performance. The successful commercialization of Li-ion capacitors for compact cars would open up many other business opportunities, including helping to meet the increased demand for alternate fuel buses, trucks and other passenger vehicles."
I don't think I'd heard about this. I wonder what kind of energy and power density they are talking about.
Grrrr... I just looked at the article date. 2/16/2006 Crap.

Last edited:
We have a winner

vfx: BINGO!!! You're the first person to know the answer. Kinda shows my (our?) age, huh? The ship was reportedly modeled after that Jaguar Type E:

ejaguar.jpg

It's Mr Hand's flying E type!

My Favorite Martian

Last edited: