Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biden administration rolls out new tailpipe rules that will boost EVs and hybrids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Biden administration on Wednesday finalized one of the most significant pieces of its ambitious climate agenda: new tailpipe rules for passenger cars and trucks that will decisively push the US auto market toward electric vehicles and hybrids.

Story Here: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/20/climate/epa-biden-electric-cars/index.html
The more that the federal government does this, the more that ICE drivers hate EVs and EV drivers. "Can't we all just get along?"

I read most of article. Then started skimming to find the beef. Could not find it
What are the new rules?

Seems like they've abandoned the hard requirements of 2/3 EVs in favor of ranges. Since we already know that legacy auto wants to drag their feet, they'll comply with the bottom of the range... 1/3.

So the federal EV push was just chopped in half.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Toyota laughing with money in their bank accounts. In profit and stock valuation.

Never bet against Toyota understanding science and making money.

Toyota is so right that Ford and GM now planning to build hybrids again.
Check out insurance industry stats (or even ask Alexa). As a percentage of each category of vehicles sold (I repeat: as a percentage of each category), hybrids have the most fires. ICE vehicles have about half of that. And EVs have a fraction of ICE fires. Again - as a percentage of each category. And sorry for the Department of Redundancy Department.

PS. Japanese automakers are in trouble. I wouldn't touch a Nissan with a CVT with a ten-foot hose from an unleaded gas pump.

Reactions: father_of_6
Using Nissan to describe Toyota is in trouble is like Tesla is in trouble looking at GM.

Every car companies including Tesla wish they have problem like Toyota with inventory of 19 days for company wide. That basically means almost every car sold before they even get off the truck.

Using Nissan to describe Toyota is in trouble is like Tesla is in trouble looking at GM.

Every car companies including Tesla wish they have problem like Toyota with inventory of 19 days for company wide. That basically means almost every car sold before they even get off the truck.
19 days inventory is good? Does that mean if there's less than 19 days inventory that's better, or more than 19 days is better?

19 days inventory is good? Does that mean if there's less than 19 days inventory that's better, or more than 19 days is better?

I learned a little from Kirk Kreifels. He explained that the clock starts when it roles off assembly floor. So it is less than 19 days sitting on the lot. With most already sold at time of coming off the truck.

90+ days average to sell an EV last month. You think other companies don't wish for 19 days? Remember, 50 days are usually considered a winner.

That is why Toyota's stock went from $135 to $250 in 12 months. Can't say that for my Tesla stocks. I bought it at $800 something pre-spit. I am crying.

Reactions: zoomer0056

All I can say is, "we'll see." Neither the Toyota nor Nissan nor Subaru EVs have made much of a splash and, like I already posted, hybrids ARE the most fire prone with their mix of battery, gasoline and oil. And then there's oil changes and brake jobs. I know I'll never revert from full BEV, but best wishes to those who drive hybrids. Just don't park too close to my MY.

Reactions: father_of_6
That is why Toyota's stock went from $135 to $250 in 12 months. Can't say that for my Tesla stocks. I bought it at $800 something pre-spit. I am crying.
I put half of my retirement savings into Verizon (for the 5% dividend, when CDs were paying 0.2% on TD Ameritrade) when the stock was around $58. It got down to around $30, with new investors earning closer to 10%. It hovers around $40 right now and it will take me only 8 more quarterly dividends to break even and that will be 6 years of ZERO NET earnings. Even worse, now that CDs are paying over 5%, my lost opportunity cost, not to mention INFLATION, makes me ill just thinking about it.

I put half of my retirement savings into Verizon (for the 5% dividend, when CDs were paying 0.2% on TD Ameritrade) when the stock was around $58. It got down to around $30, with new investors earning closer to 10%. It hovers around $40 right now and it will take me only 8 more quarterly dividends to break even and that will be 6 years of ZERO NET earnings. Even worse, now that CDs are paying over 5%, my lost opportunity cost, not to mention INFLATION, makes me ill just thinking about it.
Your story is why we pay someone to manage our money and have selected medium risk. I hear stories from others about putting near everything in the “next big thing” only to loose a crap load of money. A friend put everything into GoPro and lost his butt.I thought he was on to something until ‘our guy’ pointed out GoPro didn’t have an exclusive on cameras.