Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety & Efficacy: Tesla Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm soon going on my first long trip with my 2-month-old MYLR, from Northern CA to Los Angeles, mostly on I-5.

I have AAA in addition to, of course, Tesla's Roadside Assistance.

My question: How do you think about which service to call, AAA or Tesla RA, when you have an issue? For instance, "If you have a flat tire, it's probably better to call [X], but if you have a battery issue it's better to call [Y]."

I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, just a general heuristic that will help in a stressful situation. Thanks. :)

They are going to be the same basic companies that come out, with the exception that any Towtruck you call by using Tesla roadside is going to be familiar with Teslas (or supposed to be) because they would have had to take some training to become certified.

TL ; DR - Call Tesla Roadside if its anything to do with your car, if you still have access to it, because while its mostly the same third party companies, you will at least get someone who is moderately familiar with Teslas if you need something for your car.

Warning, long story inc....

===========================================================

Companies that AAA uses may or may not be familiar with Teslas it will depend on the company.

My model 3 is out of warranty. I have AAA (but no longer tesla roadside on that car, but do still have it on my model y). Anyway...

I got a flat tire. I have a full size spare(already mounted, but on a different style rim) in my garage at home. I fill the tire with my air compressor I have in my trunk, limp home (from work) with air coming out the tire. Because of some medical stuff, I was not able to change the tire on my car myself, even though I have a full size spare tire thats mounted on the appropriate size rim.

I have been a AAA member for 20+ years now... so I think "no prob, I will call AAA, car is in my garage, I have a full size tire that can be put on there for me, should be quick."

I call AAA, explain that "no, I dont need a tow, I just need you guys to take 1 tire off my car and put on my spare.... yes I have the spare... yes, I know its a tesla and teslas dont come with spares but I have one in my garage, where my car is.... yes.. I do have the pucks for lifting the car with a regular ground jack".

Driver shows up about an hour later (was working from home so it wasnt an issue of time for me), and the first thing out of his mouth when I open my garage door "before "hello" was " This says you have a spare but you know your car doesnt come with one, right?".

I say "hello.... I know it doesnt come with a spare but I have a full size tire, already mounted on a rim, I just need you to change the 1 tire for me like any other car". Towtruck driver basically refuses and says "I dont know nuthin bout no tesla except towing it to Tesla". I say "its just a tire change..." but the guy wouldnt do it.

Call the towtruck company back after guy leaves, tell them to re assign my ticket to another company if they cant even change the tire on my car, which is all this is. They promise to send a supervisor / trainer, this takes another hour, another tow truck driver shows up, says "I have only changed tires on a couple of teslas but... " im like " its a regular tire change... " so he begrudgingly agrees to do it, and films the entire thing with his smart phone as if its some magical thing hes doing.

All that to say, I was extremely disappointed with the tow truck company AAA sent, and I had the unfortunate need to have to use roadside assistance 3 different times (for tire / rim issues for my model 3 Performance) while the car was under warranty, and all three times the tow truck drivers knew how to deal with Teslas and had loaner tires when I asked for one.

I'm soon going on my first long trip with my 2-month-old MYLR, from Northern CA to Los Angeles, mostly on I-5.

I have AAA in addition to, of course, Tesla's Roadside Assistance.

My question: How do you think about which service to call, AAA or Tesla RA, when you have an issue? For instance, "If you have a flat tire, it's probably better to call [X], but if you have a battery issue it's better to call [Y]."

I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, just a general heuristic that will help in a stressful situation. Thanks. :)
I’d use Tesla. Your car is under warranty. Tesla roadside (from what I can tell these are not Tesla employees but a 3rd party service, they thought I only had 50 miles free towing but I corrected them with the valid 500 mile range) will contact tow companies which have trained how to tow a Tesla. My recent experience with Tesla roadside was fantastic. They coordinated everything & got my non-responsive 2022 performance model y towed 150 miles to the nearest service station. They told the service station I’d be coming as well. Tow driver arrived 60 minutes later with a flatbed but knew all the tricks in case no flatbed was available. He knew about Tesla tow mode. He was one of 3 Tesla tow experts for the remote area. We arrived at service center around 4PM. Service station gave me a loaner with FSD to use but the car had to stay in the state. They prioritized my repair since I was road tripping. Turned out the rear motor inverter shorted out which caused the pyro fuse to activate (blow as a safety action). They also gave me a new 12V battery. My car was done 3PM next day. Everything covered under warranty.

Recently have had to call Tesla roadside assistance twice for tire punctures. (Farrrrr from California, however).
They coordinated with local companies to do the tow.

No complaints.

I'd probably lean with Tesla first because if it's covered, you don't have to deal with potential paperwork, filing claims, etc. And potentially the Tesla has access to vehicle logs and status that helps with minor diagnostics.