TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sales tax in NY and WI

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Manhattanite, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Manhattanite

Manhattanite Member

Hi there!

Question about sales taxes... We could take delivery of the M3 in WI or in NY (long story). I am a little confused about how these states calculate their sales tax. Is it true that the Wisconsin sales tax is limited to $575 per Sales tax on cars and vehicles in Wisconsin ?

And is there a similar upper limit in NY or is it the ~9% of the total sales price?

I also found out that NY *may* give me a credit for sales taxes paid to another state if I show proof that they won't refund it to me. Does anyone have actual experience with that process? (Form AU-11)

2. thelastdeadmouse

There's no limit in NY, if you're registering the car in NY you'll have to pay full NY taxes. They have a program with some states where they'll credit you for tax already paid but I have no direct experience with this. Also, word is that you need to take delivery in NY to get the $2k NY credit.