Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Jose, Calif forming its own Community Choice Energy program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We were at a meeting a month or so ago for the SVCE program (Silicon Valley Clean Energy) and at that point we were told San Jose had not signed on yet with them. They were hoping they would join the rest of the cities in Santa Clara Valley but it wasn't a given. In the news today was a story about San Jose forming it's on CCE so they are going it alone.

San Jose City Council approves new community choice energy plan, the largest in California – The Mercury News

I found it interesting that it sounds like they are starting from scratch and expect to hire 18-19 employees. The guy running the SVCE program for the Santa Clara cities has been in the power business for decades and right now it's basically him and another employee or two right now if I recall correctly. They already have five-year contracts for purchasing clean energy in place and are already up and running with PG&E on this. I guess with the size of San Jose they feel they can do it better or cheaper on their own. From the article it does sound to me like the City will be running the CCE themselves. Interesting to watch down the road.