Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanity Check - Immediate NSW rural road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.
In the US, constant or long-term loads have to derated 20% compared to short term loads. So in the US, a 10A kettle would be fine, whereas a 10A car charger would have to be derated to 8A. This does not apply to Australia. Here, a 10A GPO is rated for 10A continuous.
Tesla has made an error and derated our 10A and 15A tails by 20% down to 8 and 12A respectively.
The frustrating thing is it seems Tesla is continuing to make this error.
If your tails are marked with 10 and 15A respectively, but only output 8 and 12A, just dial your desired battery percentage to a level that is lower than your battery's current percentage and plug in your UMC. Within a few minutes, your car should prompt your UMC to reprogram its tail to the correct current.
If your tails are marked 8 and 12A, you're stuck with what you've been given.
That's what I thought. Irritating as hell.

If your tails are marked with 10 and 15A respectively, but only output 8 and 12A, just dial your desired battery percentage to a level that is lower than your battery's current percentage and plug in your UMC. Within a few minutes, your car should prompt your UMC to reprogram its tail to the correct current.

didn't seem to want to do this - at least not in a few minutes - mine that came with the car today are 10&15 marked

didn't seem to want to do this - at least not in a few minutes - mine that came with the car today are 10&15 marked
My experience updating a couple of UMCs was that if the UMC is plugged into power, the car has completed charging, and the doors are closed and locked, the UMC updated within a few minutes. You can tell when it's sending the update because the 'T E S L A' lights on the UMC flash in a different pattern.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot

I lost my 15A (rated 12A) tail and ordered a replacement through Service through the app. Ended up costing $68 delivered. ($49 for the tail itself). The replacement was rated 15A. Part no: 1463068-10-C

Another option is to get an Ampfibian or jerry-rigged plug and use the 15A tail dialed down to 10A.

So, nearly 500km in,

Handover was very short, surprisingly so, and because lease vehicle purchased by lease company, no one seemed to know how it should get onto my app, and the supercharger billing doesn't want to work yet.

Drives very nice, ride is reasonable, maybe slightly stiff, but fine.

Having issues to get preferences to stick, have turned off confirmation tone on lock/unlock at least 3 times.

I want an off button, so when I get to destination, I can park and then it 'feels' off? It's there a way to lock the car without pulling the app out, even if I'm close? Eg just popped into a small shop, car only turned off and locked as I was walking back from buying my milk.

Centre console lid rattles like an empty can in a washing machine - have to keep your elbow on it.

Power at speed is nice, great for overtaking etc.

Washer fluid needs some sort of soap/detergent in it, water isn't cutting it in rural NSW.

So, nearly 500km in,

Handover was very short, surprisingly so, and because lease vehicle purchased by lease company, no one seemed to know how it should get onto my app, and the supercharger billing doesn't want to work yet.

Drives very nice, ride is reasonable, maybe slightly stiff, but fine.

Having issues to get preferences to stick, have turned off confirmation tone on lock/unlock at least 3 times.

I want an off button, so when I get to destination, I can park and then it 'feels' off? It's there a way to lock the car without pulling the app out, even if I'm close? Eg just popped into a small shop, car only turned off and locked as I was walking back from buying my milk.

Centre console lid rattles like an empty can in a washing machine - have to keep your elbow on it.

Power at speed is nice, great for overtaking etc.

Washer fluid needs some sort of soap/detergent in it, water isn't cutting it in rural NSW.
Thank for the report. I hear you on wanting an off button, I felt that when test driving the MY and the Polestar2, for sure. It's a shame about the centre console lid. That's not what you expect in a new car. Assuming you can't get Tesla to sort it out, perhaps some adhesive foam added to the right spot will help?

And, yeah, a washer fluid additive can make a difference for bug splatter and the like.

Try tapping the key card against the B pillar after you get out and close the door, you should see the mirrors folding in etc and the car lock itself.

I want an off button, so when I get to destination, I can park and then it 'feels' off?

Put it in P, that's about as off as it gets in day to day use. You'll get used to it fairly quick.

It's there a way to lock the car without pulling the app out, even if I'm close? Eg just popped into a small shop, car only turned off and locked as I was walking back from buying my milk.

You can lock and unlock from the app's notification bubble without unlocking your phone - that's what I usually use.

I'd put in a service request to get that corrected under warranty. That's not normal.

I use the Amourall windscreen washing detergent in the tank. Seems to work well.

I'd put in a service request to get that corrected under warranty. That's not normal.

I use the Amourall windscreen washing detergent in the tank. Seems to work well.
Good to know, seems like the little rubber stops just need to be higher/larger

I have a 5L of bars bugs in my shed - unfortunately im ~400 km away, didn't think about it - it was just a bit frustrating.

The country road on dusk emergency braking on its own thing is getting old though...

Reactions: Maximillan