Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save the Date - Gigafactory Party July 29th in Reno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their referral program database is messed up. I emailed them asking why I didn't get the Powerwall and Gigafactory invite after I got 5 referrals in their first referral program. They replied back saying that I did not qualify for it. But that makes no sense, because I'm 100% sure that I got 5 referrals, since their website and app both said that I got 5 referrals, and that I received $5,000 in Tesla credit ($1,000 for each referral I got). I even spent $4,500 of it on the Ludicrous upgrade for my P85D, so I know the credit is real. I even took a screenshot of the Tesla credit prior to spending it.

Is there any other way of receiving $5,000 in Tesla credit if not from the referral program?

I basically got screwed out of $1,200, because my plane tickets are non-refundable and there isn't much reason for me to go to Reno that night if not for the gigafactory grand opening.

Attachments

• IMG_0800-screenshot.png
    IMG_0800-screenshot.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: xhawk101
Their referral program database is messed up. I emailed them asking why I didn't get the Powerwall and Gigafactory invite after I got 5 referrals in their first referral program. They replied back saying that I did not qualify for it. But that makes no sense, because I'm 100% sure that I got 5 referrals, since their website and app both said that I got 5 referrals, and that I received $5,000 in Tesla credit ($1,000 for each referral I got). I even spent $4,500 of it on the Ludicrous upgrade for my P85D, so I know the credit is real. I even took a screenshot of the Tesla credit prior to spending it.

Is there any other way of receiving $5,000 in Tesla credit if not from the referral program?

I'm in the same boat, I think I got shorted the Powerwall on the 5 referrals, but still got the service credit I used to buy the ESA and LTE upgrade. I got GF invites from the other two referral programs and am attending TMC Connect, so my travel plans are OK.

Try emailing [email protected] and asking about that. Say you already have flights booked because you thought you had 5 referrals in the first phase.

I'm in the same boat, I think I got shorted the Powerwall on the 5 referrals, but still got the service credit I used to buy the ESA and LTE upgrade. I got GF invites from the other two referral programs and am attending TMC Connect, so my travel plans are OK.

Try emailing [email protected] and asking about that. Say you already have flights booked because you thought you had 5 referrals in the first phase.
According to Bonnie (TMC user), you should have received a letter from Jon (Tesla employee) saying that you won the gigafactory invite and powerwall. Did you get that letter? I never received it. I emailed owners@ and events@, and they're not replying. Last time I sent an email was on Friday, and they only just replied Monday (3 day turnaround time). I emailed them again with my screenshot, and haven't heard from them since.

All I know is that I got 5 referrals for the first program, and got $5,000 in Tesla Credit, which can easily be proven with 1) my screenshot 2) my receipt from Tesla service center that says that I spent $4,500 on the ludicrous upgrade and 3) my current Tesla credit which stands at $500 after spending $4,500. My question is 1) Is there any way that I could get $5,000 in Tesla credit if not for the first referral program and nothing else? (I can't think of where else I could have gotten $5,000 in Tesla credit if not for 5 referrals) 2) Does getting 5 referrals from the first referral program mean that I should get a powerwall and GF invite? (according to several websites that archived the details of the first referral program, this should have been a yes).

So the logical conclusion is that someone at Tesla screwed up the database for referrals. And now I'm losing over $1,000 (and an additional $5,000 if you include the missing powerwall) because of someone else's mistake. And it sounds like you got screwed over as well.

• Informative
According to Bonnie (TMC user), you should have received a letter from Jon (Tesla employee) saying that you won the gigafactory invite and powerwall. Did you get that letter? I never received it. I emailed owners@ and events@, and they're not replying. Last time I sent an email was on Friday, and they only just replied Monday (3 day turnaround time). I emailed them again with my screenshot, and haven't heard from them since.

All I know is that I got 5 referrals for the first program, and got $5,000 in Tesla Credit, which can easily be proven with 1) my screenshot 2) my receipt from Tesla service center that says that I spent $4,500 on the ludicrous upgrade and 3) my current Tesla credit which stands at $500 after spending $4,500. My question is 1) Is there any way that I could get $5,000 in Tesla credit if not for the first referral program and nothing else? (I can't think of where else I could have gotten $5,000 in Tesla credit if not for 5 referrals) 2) Does getting 5 referrals from the first referral program mean that I should get a powerwall and GF invite? (according to several websites that archived the details of the first referral program, this should have been a yes).

So the logical conclusion is that someone at Tesla screwed up the database for referrals. And now I'm losing over $1,000 (and an additional $5,000 if you include the missing powerwall) because of someone else's mistake. And it sounds like you got screwed over as well.

Yes, if your referrals did not all take delivery, it probably would have kept a 'you won!' letter from being mailed out.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
According to Bonnie (TMC user), you should have received a letter from Jon (Tesla employee) saying that you won the gigafactory invite and powerwall. Did you get that letter?.

I did not receive any letter at the first phase referral program.

I did receive the following letter at the close of the second phase, on 1/6/2016, saying I won the GF invite:
Thank you. Your support and enthusiasm for Tesla has helped make our Referral program a success. Thank you for sharing your experiences and thrilling drives with your friends and neighbors.

We’re pleased to announce that your referrals have earned you a ticket for yourself and a guest to attend the Gigafactory grand opening party including transportation to the Gigafactory facility from Reno, Nevada.

We expect to celebrate the Gigafactory grand opening in the first half of 2016. Once the event details are set, we send a personal invitation for yourself and a guest. Should you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to email [email protected].​

So yeah, the database got screwed up somehow, as I am missing the powerwall and GF invites from the first phase.

Yes, if your referrals did not all take delivery, it probably would have kept a 'you won!' letter from being mailed out.

But we both received, and spent the $5k service credit. I spent mine many months after the referral program ended. If someone didn't take delivery of one of my referrals, I can see Tesla clawing back the credit, but not handing out the GF invites? That's very strange.

edit: For the record, I am not complaining about the GF invites since I have that covered. I am concerned about the Powerwall award that was promised. I shall follow up on that after the GF party dust settles.

Ok, I'm reviewing the official rules from archive.org... in the first round of the referral program, there is no mention of the buyers taking delivery of their cars in order for the owner to get the referral credit. "Delivery" is only mentioned in the stipulations for the first person in each region to hit 10 referrals gets a free Model X:

Free Model X
The first person to refer ten friends in each sales region— North America, Europe, and the Asia-Pacific — will receive a free Model X. They will be invited to configure their Model X once all ten friends have taken delivery of their new Model S.

So for us both to have received the service credit, but NOT the Powerwall and GF invites, is an inconsistent state, regardless if all owners actually took delivery. I checked the other rounds of the referral program, and there are no other "delivery" stipulations for crediting the owners' referrals.

Strangeness for sure.

edit to add: In the first round, it was a huge strech for me to get to even 5 referrals, I fought hard for each and every one! I didn't have the opportunity to bank some extras "just in case". In addition, I actually had 6 referrals, but Tesla denied one of them because the buyer bought the car in person and not online, and she couldn't prove that she gave the sales associate my referral code.

• Informative
Reactions: srini
Ok, I'm reviewing the official rules from archive.org... in the first round of the referral program, there is no mention of the buyers taking delivery of their cars in order for the owner to get the referral credit. "Delivery" is only mentioned in the stipulations for the first person in each region to hit 10 referrals gets a free Model X:

So for us both to have received the service credit, but NOT the Powerwall and GF invites, is an inconsistent state, regardless if all owners actually took delivery. I checked the other rounds of the referral program, and there are no other "delivery" stipulations for crediting the owners' referrals.

Strangeness for sure.

edit to add: In the first round, it was a huge strech for me to get to even 5 referrals, I fought hard for each and every one! I didn't have the opportunity to bank some extras "just in case". In addition, I actually had 6 referrals, but Tesla denied one of them because the buyer bought the car in person and not online, and she couldn't prove that she gave the sales associate my referral code.
Yea, I'm in the same boat as you. I had leg surgery at the end of June, and was in a wheelchair until the end of 2015. But even while wheelchair bound, I made 5 referrals, which were not easy to make when you can't really move much. And like you said, the program details didn't dictate that all referrals had to take delivery to get the prizes besides the free Founder Model X. Even if one didn't take delivery, according to the referral program, I'd only receive the $1,000 credit if the deposit becomes non-refundable. Meaning that Tesla made their $2,500 deposit anyway from my referral. That's pure $1,500 profit without even having to build the car. And now they turn around and screw me over like this for an event that costs them nothing to invite me but costs me a lot. I'm so disappointed.

Edit: Removed text about transport

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xhawk101 and srini
Yea, I'm in the same boat as you. I had leg surgery at the end of June, and was in a wheelchair until the end of 2015. But even while wheelchair bound, I made 5 referrals, which were not easy to make when you can't really move much. And like you said, the program details didn't dictate that all referrals had to take delivery to get the prizes besides the free Founder Model X. Even if one didn't take delivery, according to the referral program, I'd only receive the $1,000 credit if the deposit becomes non-refundable. Meaning that Tesla made their $2,500 deposit anyway from my referral. That's pure $1,500 profit without even having to build the car. And now they turn around and screw me over like this for an event that costs them nothing to invite me but costs me a lot. I'm so disappointed.

Here's something else they lied about: "Tesla will provide transport to and from Reno, Nevada for the grand opening party." They wrote this on their referral program details and in the emails they sent out in 2015. And now it sounds like they're no longer providing transport.
You know they're looking into this right now, to see if a mistake was made. Why would you make such an inflammatory post? No one is trying to screw you over. They're checking further, as I told you in a private conversation.

• Informative
Here's something else they lied about: "Tesla will provide transport to and from Reno, Nevada for the grand opening party." They wrote this on their referral program details and in the emails they sent out in 2015. And now it sounds like they're no longer providing transport.

Here's the relevant text:
The Gigafactory grand opening party will take place in Nevada at a date to be determined in April 2016. Customers who make five referrals will receive two tickets to attend the grand opening party. These customers will be responsible for the cost of their own travel, lodging, and other incidentals. Tesla will provide transport to and from Reno, Nevada for the grand opening party.

Travel expenses are not covered, the offer is transport from Reno to the GF. AFAIK that's still on and using the word "lied" is perhaps not quite appropriate.

I won a PowerWall in the first program and the sole one for North America in the second program. I received a confirmation for the second one by email, but nothing on the first one. I was sent a survey for the PowerWall and noted that I won two and needed two surveys with no response. About six weeks ago, I received a second survey asking for times to talk about install. I filled it out twice and sent it back. Silence once again.

Communication is not a strong suit for Tesla in these referral programs unfortunately.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler