Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving money with the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and i am not able to get craft workers in time to save the guarantees from this year. they will cut this by 15% 1st Jan. :-(
i plan to put about 16KW on the roof - so i looked after this to late - hmmm.... i spend the time in my roadster, so the car caused this - i´ll put this also into my calc :)

The more you drive the more you save on fuel of course, but how can you get nearly free electricity?...
Hydroelectric from the large stream behind my house. The power company won't pay me for the excess unless I get a prohibitively expensive permit. I'm allowed to build up credit and use it within a year.

Of course it isn't free. It requires a lot of maintenance. The system is down right now for repairs. I probably won't get it back online until the ice goes out in the spring. Despite the down time it will probably generate more power this year than I will use.

I believe in the U.S. Hawaii is currently the only state with rates that high (around 28 cents per kWh) thus making the Roadster more expensive to drive than the Prius.

If you live in Hawaii, you're a prime candidate for installing solar panels (cheaper than grid, at that price point!)

I've been paying for renewable energy in upstate NY. I was paying 11 cents per kWh two years ago -- it's actually down to 8 cents now.

Of course I don't drive enough (3000 miles a year?) to really justify an electric car, unless the wild card of residual value pays off. But if you drive 10,000 miles a year and don't have to get a loan, any electric car will pay off.

If you live in Hawaii, you're a prime candidate for installing solar panels (cheaper than grid, at that price point!)

I've been paying for renewable energy in upstate NY. I was paying 11 cents per kWh two years ago -- it's actually down to 8 cents now.

Of course I don't drive enough (3000 miles a year?) to really justify an electric car, unless the wild card of residual value pays off. But if you drive 10,000 miles a year and don't have to get a loan, any electric car will pay off.

Even in Germany, the energy from your own roof is cheaper what you have to pay to the local utility company, but you will get more if you sell it. But even for the consumption of your own produced energy, you get paid. What we need is a battery pack to hold the amount of energy you uses within a few days. Best would be a recycled batterie from my Roadster. 57kWh degraded down to 70% still holds 40kWh. Swinging with the uses of 50% of the capacity left, still allows 20kWh with 5 years lifetime.

What we need is a battery pack to hold the amount of energy you uses within a few days. Best would be a recycled batterie from my Roadster. 57kWh degraded down to 70% still holds 40kWh. Swinging with the uses of 50% of the capacity left, still allows 20kWh with 5 years lifetime.

Is there a project under way to run a standalone ESS? You need a separate bidirectional power conversion, control logic, and you need to connect the coolant lines to some head spreader with fans.