Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bogus "Gas Savings"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla app has a Charge Stats section that include a "gas savings" number, which, as far as I can tell is utterly bogus. Are there settings somewhere to make it more realistic? Nothing about this is going to change how happy I am with the car! (I've suspected all along that there was basically no difference in fuel cost/mile between the Tesla and the kind of ICE car a tesla buyer is likely to be switching from, so that's my inherent bias)

I just passed my one year anniversary with the car and just turned over 15,000 miles, so I thought it would be a good chance to look at this. The app says I've spent $1592 on electricity and "saved" $630 vs buying gas.

To start with, Tesla uses an average cost for gasoline in Massachusetts of about $4.50/gallon for the last year, while AAA reports that in their surveys across the state the average was about $3.75. The latter number is certainly more consistent with the numbers I've seen posted onthe stations as I've driven by, so I'd like to correct that to the more reasonable number.

Second, how is it making the cost comparison? I replaced a Ford C-max (hybrid, non-plugin), which is a similar size, though much lighter, vehicle. It averaged 39 mpg over the 9 years we drove it. So 15,000 miles last year would have cost us $3.75/gallon / 39 miles/gallon X 15000 miles = $1442 per year of driving, or about $150 less than paying for electricity for the Tesla. (Before you ask, yes I've easily had $150 worth of more fun in the Tesla). Fleet costs may well be different, but this app is purporting to tell me how much *I* have saved driving *my* car.

I understand why they want to inflate their value, and in the end it doesn't really matter, but five decades of conditioning working as a scientist and having alarm bells go off at numbers that don't pass the "does this make sense" test makes me unhappy every time I look at that screen in the app. As they say, facts matter, and I hate it when "my side" uses bogus numbers.

Yeah, I don't know where they make up those numbers. However, for me - my car before a Tesla was a 2005 Toyota Camry that got about 30 MPG. Every single time I run the numbers I find I save quite a bit on power vs. fuel over that car. Two weeks ago we took a minor trip - 750 miles round trip and found that we spent $74.61 for charging vs. $132.50 for gas (this is CA and gas was about $5.30 per gallon during this trip). Of course this was using superchargers since it was a trip. When I calculate just daily / weekly around here where I exclusively home charge at night on a ToU plan the savings are significantly more. But the numbers I get never add up to the numbers in the Tesla app either.

It is funny that they let you enter in your electric plan, but don't seem to let you enter in an ICE vehicle (or at least its actual MPG) and local gas prices to come up with that comparison number. It would be nice if it did let you do that comparison.

For our uses they are functionally equivalent, so I think the comparison is quite apt. Many others will be switching from a Prius to a Y, so that too would be an apt comparator for some. Vs the Cmax the Y is longer, but interior dimensions are very close. It certainly weighs about twice as much. The Y gets a little more volume in the calculations, but it's not as useful, as that extra space is divided up into less useful small compartments, in the wheel wells, frunk, under the rear floor, etc. I could get taller objects into the CMax, and the floor was flat rather than sloping up onto the folded rear seats. I think, but don't know for sure, that the Y would be smaller by the "what is the largest box you can load in the car" test, that test being the one that best reflects the utility of the space for my uses. It's close enough. Others will surely have different criteria.

My point is that the app asserts that these are savings I see. I would not be buying an SUV that required premium gas in any circumstances, so that is not, for me, a relevant comparison. It may be the right comparison for you.

Our electricity cost is 32-34 cents per kwh. It's 34 now, I have the app set at 32, as that better reflected the past year. For that variable I am able to enter the actual value, so no complaint there.

To be clear I'm really happy with my car, and the reality of cost per mile closely matches my expectation going into acquiring it (I didn't (and don't) believe the "savings" shown on the sales pages either!). I'm just irritated that the app is throwing up a bogus number that differs substantially from reality.

Reactions: Royal27
I gave up on the stupid calculations in the mobile app. I also think their stupid calculator on their website is awful. It's all smoke and mirrors and marketing crap.

But there are real genuine significant savings driving pretty much any EV compared to an internal combustion equivalent using gasoline/petrol, diesel, natural gas, or burning hydrogen.

I tend to compare my 2020 Model Y LR Dual Motor to my mom's 2014 Honda CRV EX. I pay $0.14/kwh, and she pays $3.35/gallon. It costs me about $0.04/mile, and it costs her about $0.12/mile.

I can drive 10,000 miles for $400, where it costs her $1,200.

I think price per mile is the easiest way to calculate the economy of electric vehicles.

Furthermore, I 'refuel' in my garage where I park every night. She has to make a special stop at a gas station (or trick one of her kids into doing it for her ;) ).

Obviously using DCFC (superchargers or such) is going to be far less cost effective, but necessary when doing long road trips. But there is still monetary savings.

On my most recent return trip from Lake Worth, Florida to New Jersey two weeks ago the 1252 miles cost me $122.76 in Supercharger costs.
On a previous trip in March the 1248 mile trip cost $141.93 in Supercharger costs.
On a trip down to Florida this past February the 1220 mile trip cost $130.50 in supercharger costs.
The difference in mileage is because straight down I95 is shorter vs taking the Ferry from Cape May,NJ to Lewes, De.
Also the kWh charges at the Superchargers varies.
On previous ICE vehicles the cost of gas varied between $150-$200 depending on the price of gas.
The drive on my Y is much more pleasurable and I don't mind the extra stops to charge.
I used to do the trip with one overnight stop but lately have been doing the trip with two night stops.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
My point is that the app asserts that these are savings I see. I would not be buying an SUV that required premium gas in any circumstances, so that is not, for me, a relevant comparison. It may be the right comparison for you.

App tell you and i quote here: "Gas Savings Calculated by estimating the cost difference between charging your Tesla versus fuel cost in comparable gas car in the same region"
Calling the numbers bogus just because Tesla didn't anticipate you buying a horse with a carriage that has "similar interior dimensions" vs model Y is a bit harsh

Tesla can't know your exact ICE figures, so they use averages. Of course they're going to use numbers that are more favorable for them - isn't that what all marketing does?

That said, it's still much less expensive to fuel a Tesla than it is any other similar priced vehicle. Oil changes and brakes too.

I would guess most Tesla owners didn't buy their car as a cost savings, and they still wouldn't trade it for an ICE.

It would be good to get more accurate numbers from the app's charge stats though. They allow us to change the price per kWh, but not gas prices and mpg. Oh well.

Last edited:
For our uses they are functionally equivalent, so I think the comparison is quite apt. Many others will be switching from a Prius to a Y, so that too would be an apt comparator for some

"For our uses they are equivalent" vs "generally accepted equivalent vehicle class" is not the same thing. Just because someone switches from a prius to a model Y, it does not make those equivalent vehicles.

Now, with that being said, I agree that Tesla should let people change some of these variables for their own needs, but thats something different than calling marketing material "bogus".

Its VERY common for people here to, whenever talking about "gas savings" all of a sudden everyone drives a vehicle equivalent to a prius or some other high MPG vehicle, but when talking about " Why doesnt Tesla do XXXX ?!?!?! I bought a premium Car!" and comparing it to BMW / Mercedes, Audi.

Almost every "gas equivalent" thread ends up there (comparison to some high MPG, regular unleaded using vehicle like a prius or some other econobox type hybrid).

The difference here is, OP is also asking for the ability to change the variables themselves (which I agree with), in addition to this comparison.

...(I've suspected all along that there was basically no difference in fuel cost/mile between the Tesla and the kind of ICE car a tesla buyer is likely to be switching from, so that's my inherent bias)

I just passed my one year anniversary with the car and just turned over 15,000 miles, so I thought it would be a good chance to look at this. The app says I've spent $1592 on electricity and "saved" $630 vs buying gas.

To start with, Tesla uses an average cost for gasoline in Massachusetts of about $4.50/gallon for the last year, while AAA reports that in their surveys across the state the average was about $3.75. The latter number is certainly more consistent with the numbers I've seen posted onthe stations as I've driven by, so I'd like to correct that to the more reasonable number.

That difference seems to be regular vs premium. Seems that comparing the "kind of ICE car a Tesla buyer is likely to be switching from," assuming premium is a good baseline.

Also... isn't the electrical consumption in those stats also wrong? It only knows about the energy put into the car, but omits charging losses / inefficiencies.
It's not much of a difference, about 5% in my case. I am comparing what the Tesla app says to what my Chargepoint reports, and I have verified that the Chargepoint is in line with my power meter.

Screenshot_20230924_151646_Chrome.jpg

Thats what Tesla assumes, 25mpg for the MY comparable. Seems kinda fair IMO.
But I would also like to be able to adjust the assumptions.

I am coming from a Rav4 Prime, so not much in terms of savings, but I am very happy with the switch, regardless.

It seems the definition of "comparable" is thought to be an issue. For me to have achieved savings there are two possible baselines, either the vehicle I replaced or the vehicle I would have bought instead of the Y. Comparison to some arbitrary vehicle that someone else might have bought or what some marketing guy thinks is a comparable vehicle is meaningless to me. In my case the leading contender if not the Y would probably have been a Mini Countryman, as the other car we replaced in the recent past was a Mini that I dearly loved. Clearly the numbers would have been quite different if that were the comparator, but the terrible mileage the Countryman gets was a big part of why we didn't buy that car.

To be clear I'm not saying there's anything good or bad about the numbers, only that they are incorrect because the model that calculates them doesn't use parameters that would make them meaningful as actual savings I'm achieving (or not). If they are going to include the calculator they ought to make it configurable -- they seem to have gotten half way there and then quit, allowing the user to change a couple variables but not all the ones needed.

Despite its cost the Y is not comparable to any luxury vehicle I'm familiar with. The fit, finishes, materials, and features just don't begin to compare. The handling and ride are OK, not as cushy as a Lexus without the road feel and control of a BMW. The power train in the Y blows away any possible competitor short of a supercar. On balance it's a very fast, fun to drive car with the amenities and interior materials of a Corolla. As we've seen over the last year the high cost was simply opportunism, now the prices have dropped into the midranges with Tesla still making a lot of money. The battery is very expensive to make so the rest of the car needs to be built on a budget to get that all to work out. This is all fine, since I don't want and wasn't expecting a luxury car, but rather solid transportation, ability to haul a reasonable amount of big "stuff", that offers some gee-whiz technology and driving pleasure.

Reactions: father_of_6
Yeah. Would be nice to be able to adjust the assumptions. But it's a very minor thing imo, as you can always just grab a calculator and get your customized savings in a matter of seconds if you want to.
You could even come up with a correction factor to apply to the Tesla provided savings number, making it a thing you can do in your head just looking at the number.