Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the Model 3 at Monterey car week....thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this in Massachusetts today, does that license plate mean it's a test car?

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 124
You concerned at all about the available headroom in the M3?
Me? No. That is rarely an issue for me in any car. I'm 6'-1" tall. But mostly, my height comes from having long legs. My torso is rather short compared to most people my height. Many people who are much shorter than I am sit taller when we are in similar height chairs. There is also the fact that some have very voluminous [BOTTOMS] and I do not. :D

As an engineer I understand Tesla has a lot of possible ways to do this. What I am not seeing yet, because none of us know and Tesla hasn't said, is what has actually been implemented in the Model 3. All we do know for sure is that the historically-preferred method - the keyfob with switches - has been removed from play. What replaces it does not appear to me at first glance to be sufficient, but I will reserve judgment and some measure of hope for when we find out what they have actually done.
I understand that some would prefer for Tesla's vehicle delivery events to be more in depth, lengthy, and detailed. I would love to see Elon Musk, JB Straubel, and Franz Von Holzhausen go through every aspect of the vehicle design from stem to stern explaining every point from beginning to end of their production process. That would be cool.

But I also understand why they do the best they can, then let the cars speak for themselves. They seem to enjoy knowing that Customers will 'discover' the cars and what they can do on their own. So that everything will come to be known in its own time. That little bit of mystery adds to the wonderment and magical experience long after someone has taken Delivery.

Me? No. That is rarely an issue for me in any car. I'm 6'-1" tall. But mostly, my height comes from having long legs. My torso is rather short compared to most people my height. Many people who are much shorter than I am sit taller when we are in similar height chairs. There is also the fact that some have very voluminous [BOTTOMS] and I do not. :D

Was more of an ego joke in good nature.

I was disappointed not seeing a Model 3 during Monterey Car Week. On Sunday we were headed to Gusto Italian restaurant in Seaside (awesome pizza) and found that there was a Tesla Service Center close-by. I thought it would be good to do a last ditch effort to maybe see a model 3. When we entered the parking lot we saw a red Model 3 being charged. I went up to the owner and asked if I can take pics. He let me sit in the car. It has very comfy seats. The interior is simple, but elegant. He had the 18" rims with aero covers. He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%. He also confirmed that the aero were covers and noted TMC post regarding the wheels w/o covers. He showed me the new UMC that is being tested. He also had the Model S UMC in the trunk. I promised not to post pics of the new UMC. It turns out the gentleman who was so nice and proud owner of the Model 3 (#18) is the VP of Engineering for Tesla. Very nice guy and he made my day. I returned from Monterey today happy that I fulfilled all my goals for car week.

Sadly, that interior center console and door controls look almost identical to my 2012 Ford Focus. :(

Sedans are supposed to be sexy and sleek.

Funny, over here, sedans are seen as boring cars for old age pensioners. GT cars and coupes are sexy and sleek.
That's why Model S shouldn't really be called a "sedan", because it is far more like a GT car, like a Panamera, A7, 4-series Gran Coupe, various Aston Martins, Jaguars, Maserati Quattroporte, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I'm so glad that I live in a country where you don't have to worry about stuff like this.... I don't think there's ever been a carjacking in our history. And car theft is very rare, and when it happens, usually just teens going on joyrides.

My only problem with crime and cars has been people stealing gas out of my truck. Not exactly a concern with a M3....
How about an update on hydrogen in Iceland? Still got H2 fueled buses?

1973? worked on Westmann Island removing ash (July?).
Worked in fish factory while I waited. I had talked customs/immigration into a 3 day visa to "look for relatives". Went home about 6 months later after going to see the volcano and shovel ash on Westmann Island. I think it is safe to reveal my past law breaking.
(look what the banksters get away with, right?)

PS- While in Iceland, someone left their wallet on a restaurant table, when I took said wallet to the cashier, I was ordered to put it back where I found it - how else would the owner find their wallet if I move it??

How about an update on hydrogen in Iceland? Still got H2 fueled buses?

I regularly drive past a H2 station but I don't think I've ever seen anyone there.

1973? worked on Westmann Island removing ash (July?).

Go you! If you haven't visited Heimay since, you should :) There's enen a museum now built around an "archaeological dig" of a house engulfed by the lava. Quite nice, really.

PS- While in Iceland, someone left their wallet on a restaurant table, when I took said wallet to the cashier, I was ordered to put it back where I found it - how else would the owner find their wallet if I move it??

Sounds about right ;) Honestly, if it weren't for "drunk 20-somethings" and "criminals making a quick stopover from Eastern Europe, hoping to skip out of the country before they're caught", and "right upstanding financial magnates", we'd hardly have any crime in the country at all ;)

• Love
Reactions: Brando