Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC gives me the shaft? Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me but this latest experience at the SC just feels dirty. I have an out of warranty X and don't mind paying for things that break out of pocket when it makes sense. Last week I had the front bumper lip trim fall off at high speed and paid the SC > $1k to fix and everything else in my car worked when I brought it there. They fix the lip, I take it home, the rear camera doesn't work black screen and autopilot doesn't engage I assume is intermittent camera problem I give it a few days it doesn't work still after several reboot/restarts. I notify SC they have me bring it in and then charge me > $600 to replace the rear camera. Mind you, this rear camera was installed by them less than a year ago because my vehicle comes with FSD and the camera upgrade is included. I asked why wouldn't the camera replacement be warrantied because the part is less than a year old.. they said because I didn't pay to install it to begin with. Maybe they're right, but that seems odd to me, if you install something (especially something I didn't even ask you to install) and it breaks, why wouldn't it be covered by the part's warranty? Sorry for the rant, just adding another bad SC data point for the books.

I know how you feel. I paid to have mine upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2. My X is still under warranty, but when the new MCU2 failed (after more than a year) they said it wasn't covered under warranty because it wasn't included in the warranty because it was something I had changed. If the MCU1 would have been included, the MCU2 should have been.

Reactions: njhtran
Stories like this ensure I won’t pay for upgrades and won’t likely keep my Tesla’s past the warranty period. I’d completely agree a “provided” new part should be subject to its own 1 year warranty and/or the bumper to bumper warranty. Whichever is longer. And I suspect most people would view it that way. They sound like sleazy people to work with in the service center.

Holy smokes. Mcu2 is over 1500 so you had to pay that twice ? Wow man that Tesla fuzzy logic.
Actually $2,200 all said and done. Yes, very fuzzy logic. I was headed out of the country for 4 months and couldn't really argue the point. If the MCU1 had failed, it would have been covered, but because I paid, I think, $2k to upgrade, it wasn't covered. At least they replaced the 12V battery for free. lol

Normal for most unpaid repairs and upgrades. At most, warranty replacement carry on the original part warranty, but not always.

Example. Tesla will replace a steering wheel with pealing issues once under warranty. After that it is customer pay.