Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating: repaired at SC, not covered under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 LR with original drivetrain warranty still active.

Had clicking when accelerating or decelerating. SC diagnosed and fixed – "Lubricate at Hub the Left and Right Rear Drive Unit Halfshaft".

Was charged for service as employee said this was a maintenance item, not warranty, that this is a common problem due to the weight and power of these cars that the drive shafts have issues over time and need lubricating.

But… that to me sounds like it would be a warranty item, if the drive shafts aren’t designed properly to carry the load of these vehicles, why would the onus be on the customer to pay while under warranty? As far as I know, the drive shaft is part of the drivetrain, no?

It wasn’t too expensive, I was just surprised that this wasn’t a warranty item. What if this had happened in the first 1000 miles? Would they have fixed it under warranty? What’s the cutoff and how is this type of service item decided differently than other issues? In that case every issue could technically be considered a maintenance item since they occur from driving the car.

You say "original drivetrain warranty still active" but what do you actually mean? Do you mean you are still under the 4 year 50k mile warranty, or, as It sounds like, that warranty is no longer in force because even though your car is a 2020 you have more than 50k miles, and the only warranty left on the car is the battery warranty?

If the latter, "lubricate hub at left and right of drive unit" is not a failed drive unit. The battery and drive unit warranty covers those two items, and tesla has not historically covered anything under that warranty that is not those two exact items. including (as you may have read here already) things like the PCS that are connected to the battery.

You say "original drivetrain warranty still active" but what do you actually mean? Do you mean you are still under the 4 year 50k mile warranty, or, as It sounds like, that warranty is no longer in force because even though your car is a 2020 you have more than 50k miles, and the only warranty left on the car is the battery warranty?

If the latter, "lubricate hub at left and right of drive unit" is not a failed drive unit. The battery and drive unit warranty covers those two items, and tesla has not historically covered anything under that warranty that is not those two exact items. including (as you may have read here already) things like the PCS that are connected to the battery.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I still have the 4 year warranty active. I’m at about 30k miles. I did a search and found previous posts where this service was covered under warranty, but they’re from a couple of years ago. Maybe Tesla changed their position since then? Not sure.

It does sound like something that should be covered under the new car warranty to me (just not the extended drive unit / battery warranty) so if I were in your shoes I would also be wondering why this isnt covered under the new car warranty.

Tesla does stuff like this sometimes though. I would politely challenge them to show you where it says something like this is a wear item. To me, though, the key is the tone in which you do so, as to whether you burn bridges at the SC or not (or even care if you do).

If it were me, I would probably go down there, ask to talk to the manager, and then say something like " Hi, I am not trying to be super confrontational here or anything, just trying to understand why this isnt covered, would you be able to show me where in the paperwork it says this type of thing is not covered under the new car warranty?

Would you be able to good will it for me this one time if its not covered? That would make me very happy."

Thats how I would approach it, anyway. YMMV

Reactions: Mikecm1
Sorry I should have been more clear. I still have the 4 year warranty active. I’m at about 30k miles. I did a search and found previous posts where this service was covered under warranty, but they’re from a couple of years ago. Maybe Tesla changed their position since then? Not sure.

Well I can two routes here... First, have them show you where it is a maintenance item in the manual....ok nevermind, I was going to use the lubricate calipers as being a normal maintenance item that wouldn't be covered and isn't in the manual...but it IS in the manual so I guess tell them to show you where in the manual it says that is a maintenance item.

When my car was under a year old and maybe at about 10,000 miles my suspension sounded like old wooden floor boards. I was told it wasn't under warranty and given a response that it was a recommended annual maintenance item where all suspension bolts had to be retorqued. I took a diplomatic approach and asked them where it stated this was recommended annual maintenance and why it wasn't listed in any of their recommendations. Unfortunately, they dug their heels in and things heated up a bit. At one point in the conversation they claimed it was normal and within spec to which I replied that I knew several owners who did not have this suspension creak and asked whether their cars were not within spec. It's unfortunate I had to turn the heat up before they agreed to "goodwill" the repair.

As for this being a common problem due to the weight and power of these cars that the drive shafts have issues over time, this sure sounds like a possible recall to remedy the problem.

But I agree that the clicking absolutely should be a warranty item and the best approach is to exercise diplomacy.

Just wanted to chime in and state that my 2022 M3 Performance has this issue, is currently in service for the same fix and the SC is refusing to cover under warranty stating that its a "maintenance issue." I asked my service adviser where in the manual does it state this is normal required maintenance, he responded with he's never read the manual and doesn't know. I didn't press the issue. They are only charging $66 for the fix (about the cost of an oil change), I'll just pay it to avoid the back and forth as I wasn't in the mood to play games or cause tension. I will NOT be happy though if the problem comes back days later and will cause problems if I have to in order to get it fully resolved under warranty.

Just wanted to chime in and state that my 2022 M3 Performance has this issue, is currently in service for the same fix and the SC is refusing to cover under warranty stating that its a "maintenance issue." I asked my service adviser where in the manual does it state this is normal required maintenance, he responded with he's never read the manual and doesn't know. I didn't press the issue. They are only charging $66 for the fix (about the cost of an oil change), I'll just pay it to avoid the back and forth as I wasn't in the mood to play games or cause tension. I will NOT be happy though if the problem comes back days later and will cause problems if I have to in order to get it fully resolved under warranty.
It just plain isn't covered under the warranty. Look at this exclusion in the warranty:

1704300086565.png

Did it require a part to be replaced to resolve the noise? No? Then it isn't covered.

Reactions: .Slug
It just plain isn't covered under the warranty. Look at this exclusion in the warranty:

View attachment 1005426

Did it require a part to be replaced to resolve the noise? No? Then it isn't covered.

Oh I'm aware of that. But the arguement to be made is that the noise is caused by a failure due to malfunctioning parts (either mismatched or out of tolerance or incorrect tolerance of the mfr'd part). As its only a common failure in Tesla vehicles. There is something vastly different about their axel/hub assemblies that causes the abnormal resulting issue. This issue seems to be common for Tesla specific vehicles and I've never experienced this type of maintenance failure with any of the 10s of vehicles I've owned in the past.

The fact THEY are merely choosing to ignore revising the part is where the rub is. Its obvious there is something wrong with the part(s) design or how they are mating them. If you heard the sound, you'd also not agree with their application of that warranty verbiage, and you shouldn't.

Now with mine specifically, there is an off chance mine has the subframe issue instead of it being the axle/hub assembly. I guess we'll know exactly in about 8 hours if their axle/hub attempt doesn't rectify the sound.

Oh I'm aware of that. But the arguement to be made is that the noise is caused by a failure due to malfunctioning parts (either mismatched or out of tolerance or incorrect tolerance of the mfr'd part). As its only a common failure in Tesla vehicles. There is something vastly different about their axel/hub assemblies that causes the abnormal resulting issue. This issue seems to be common for Tesla specific vehicles and I've never experienced this type of maintenance failure with any of the 10s of vehicles I've owned in the past.
Rivian had the same kind of issue, and they went with lubrication and tightening of the half-shafts as well. Though I think they may have finally changed the splines on the half-shaft to try to prevent it.

Reactions: .Slug
Rivian had the same kind of issue, and they went with lubrication and tightening of the half-shafts as well. Though I think they may have finally changed the splines on the half-shaft to try to prevent it.
Very interesting and good to know. I wonder if they are using the same parts source etc. and Rivian had the better idea of getting their parts supplier to do corrective action on their determined non-conformances (which could include a re-designed part or adjusted tolerance etc.).

I think something that also was bothering me going into this is the lawsuit against Tesla currently ongoing regarding Tesla refusing warranty for even obvious parts failures. So, they have a history/pattern of denying responsbility (see https://www.reuters.com/investigate...ed a recent,for vehicles still under warranty ).

It has made me very distrustful of anything the SC tells me regarding root cause analysis and potential for mere bandaids they are applying as opposed to true corrective actions that would prevent a recurrence. Merely stating, oh it's just "maintenance" is a obvious dodge imo when the true solution is to do a part revision with their supplier (my guess is they'd want to avoid a costly recall etc - but that cost should be largely applied to the supplier).

I'm also a little biased because I'm a quality manager for a Tesla subcontractor in the realm of metrology/calibration for the test and measurement instruments used to confirm the specification of a lot of their mfr'd parts. If there is a part that is out of spec, it should be addressed and the supply chain adjusted accordingly. Not just constant band-aids applied.

This was the first and will be the last Tesla our family will ever own. It has not been a good customer experience tbh.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Lubricating suspension parts is not something most auto manufacturers do under warranty. Some premium manufacturers include free servicing for several years as part of their pricing, but unless specified, it is usually not a freebie.
Tesla put out a bulletin several years ago, recommening that owners in colder winter climates, have their brake calipers lubed from time to time. Just part of car ownership.

PIcked up the vehicle. Problem is solved with the half-shaft axle lube at the hub solution. They also replaced my noisey door strap and fixed my creaking passenger door (under warranty).