Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled maintenance. Anyone watch as it's done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when you're roadster goes in for it's scheduled maintenance, I'm certain they check the rear toe links and retorque them, as they loosen up quite a bit (on the frame end) and cause play in the rear toe. What else in the rear end tends to loosen up from normal use? I'm asking because I have a very noticable "clunk" in the rear, when I hit a bump. I checked the upper and lower control arms, sway bar mounts and links, upper and lower shock bolts, carrier bolts, etc. What else could it be? Motor mounts? Battery mounts? Anyone watch as they go through their servicing? Any common looseness other than the rear toe links? I haven't pulled the back diffuser and pan yet, but I'm going to have to, to find it. (First I have to make up some gradual ramps out of 2x12's to back the car up onto.) Any thoughts from those in the know? Thanks guys!

Do you mean the annual service? I think they would only check some of those things you talked about if there was a problem which it sounds like you might have. The update the firmware, do a battery bleed test and depending on which year's service it is (first, second or third...etc), they may refill the AC and a few other things. I've only had one annual service done so some of the Roadster owners who have had their cars longer can give a more detailed answer.

Cinergi posted some pictures of his one year service visit
A few photos from a 2.5 annual maintenance

Possibly the "clunk" sound is just coming from the suspension when hitting a bump? I know when I hit a certain pothole that compresses the rear suspension I also hear a clunk but to me I attribute it to the tight suspension and that the weight of the car is favored towards the rear. It definitely doesn't have the Cadillac ride nor do I want it too ;)

Yea I get a very hard clunk when I go over those expansion joints in bridges and sloppy pothole patches. I always worry that the tires will explode but it is the heavy rear end and tight suspension. I worry about it a little but nothing has broken in 17500 miles sooooo....

Still try to find the soft spot on the road.... :)