Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled to delivery and get a "free upgrade" to another car..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot -- I mean, relatively a lot -- of AWD models with 19" wheels out there, and few if any AWD with 18" wheels. So if you're going for an AWD, probably they're just offering you one of the ones they have available instead of waiting weeks to get a new one from the factory.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a return, but it doesn't stand out like a return would. Unless it's the one with a 3xxxxx VIN (most of them are 19xxxx with a couple 21xxxx but I've only seen the one 3xxxxx). Still, that might not be a return, it might be that someone's financing fell through or something.

You're right, mine was an AWD model, they have the 19" available right away

There are a lot -- I mean, relatively a lot -- of AWD models with 19" wheels out there, and few if any AWD with 18" wheels. So if you're going for an AWD, probably they're just offering you one of the ones they have available instead of waiting weeks to get a new one from the factory.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a return, but it doesn't stand out like a return would. Unless it's the one with a 3xxxxx VIN (most of them are 19xxxx with a couple 21xxxx but I've only seen the one 3xxxxx). Still, that might not be a return, it might be that someone's financing fell through or something.

If you read enough of the posts on here you will see that people will place their order and change their mind about what version of the car to buy or sometimes features on it or interior seat color. Sometimes they don't want to wait (had an accident and need a car now) and go for something sooner. Other times they might not be happy with paint or panel alignment and have cancelled. So those orders get cancelled and Tesla will be looking to find a match for them. Really hard to say but more likely the exact config you ordered is still not being built (maybe was but all got sold before getting to your order) so they will reach out and see if you might be amenable to a different config. Right now they are likely juggling production between cars for north america and those destined to go to Europe or China which need more lead time to make the sales happen in the current quarter. Only so many cars with certain specs can come off the line at one time and believe the Model 3 has two general assembly lines going.