Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches from accident - need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hit from the back and my back bumper was left with scratches on both the paint and the plastic part. Also there is also some impression of the license plate. Is this something a car detailer can fix or something major needs to be done? Please help, thank you.

Attachments

• D4B11201-C253-458D-80A4-34B73505F923.jpeg
    D4B11201-C253-458D-80A4-34B73505F923.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 927CADC1-F577-4397-BEA1-A3BE71555CA4.jpeg
    927CADC1-F577-4397-BEA1-A3BE71555CA4.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 75
Yah the white line right above the plastic bumper is the impression. I think the way the sun hit the car made it hard to see. Would the coupons work on the black plastic part?

Attachments

• E5472774-1121-4A1C-B39E-025C125A9EE8.jpeg
    E5472774-1121-4A1C-B39E-025C125A9EE8.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 58
The correction compound should knock out the paint scratches with a high speed polisher ..the plastic you may get some out but not all ...how fast was the person going that hit u ? Normally bumper taps don’t look like much damage but I have seen small things like that go for like 1k repair :(

It’s normally the damage underneath ..I assuming was low speed tap ? Try with the paint correction compound ..on painted parts first u should be able to get that out ..the plastic of doesn’t work may be easier just purchase one

I would say it’s a Low speed yap though I could feel some impact in the car. What kinda of damage underneath were you referring to ? Hopefully not something mechanical that would affect the car?

There are bumper posts (metal piece) behind the plastic cover ..those are rated for certain impact speed ...worst case is those pushed into your frame ..only way is for shop to look at by taking off ...hopefully person gave u insurance info ..if your not comfortable trying to polish out take to Tesla approved body shop and get quote for filing a claim

Yes on the freeway and again the person who hit me said it is just cosmetic damage and said we should not go through the insurance and I did not know there could be this kind of problems
But did they offer to pay to fix the damage? Did you take their contact details, vehicle registration, etc.? I think you should get an estimate from a Tesla approved bodyshop and then contact the person who drove into you.
It is generally a good idea to take some photos of your car and the other car(s) at the scene of any accident, making sure you include the driver(s) and passsengers involved.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I took a picture of her car, her drivers license and car license plate but not her vehicle registration. Also I asked her to email me that she would pay for the scratch identified on the day of the accident and also attached the pictures on the accident scene in that same email. However, after talking to others, it seems like these may be more than just cosmetic damage, which makes me worried and legally I don’t know how to make her pay for those.

IANAL. If she has already admitted that she was at fault, an estimate that details the damage and cost to repair would be fairly useful and difficult for her to argue with. I don't think she could limit her liability to whatever the two of you (not experts) saw at the scene. Anyone who runs into an expensive car should expect to pay for an expensive repair.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA