Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurring scratch on trunk door mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this repeated scratch on their Model Y trunk lid. We got our MY Nov 2022 and a couple months after receiving I noticed a deep scratch on the top edge of the trunk. Before anyone suggests it this is not the trunk raising too high and hitting something in the garage. I adjusted the height when got home with the car so that is not the culprit. We could not come up with anything that we did to cause the scratch and just chalked it up to someone random hitting it in a parking lot, our kids playing and hitting it, etc. So got some touchup paint and moved on. Now fast forward to this past Saturday and we arrived home from a week long road trip to SpaceX and South Padre Island (about 3000 miles round trip) and while washing the car Sunday I find another scratch next to the first scratch that looks very similar in shape and severity. A semi-circle scratch all the way through the paint. We were never parked in a garage and we did not make the scratch, as far as I am aware. It is such a deep scratch I do not see how we could done this ourselves and not noticed.

So I know this is a longshot, but was wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen or have any idea what could be causing this. We just cannot think of anything that would caused almost the same scratch to occur in a few months of each other.
Recurring scratch.jpg

Mystery solved! It appears even though I had adjusted the opening height of the trunk to stop short of the garage door I did not allow for the trunk being open and the garage door opening/closing. The arm that connects the chain trolley to the garage door has a bend that is about 4 inches lower than the garage door so obviously at some point the garage door was opened with the trunk open and it scraped as it went by. I placed a large rubber hose that I already had over this bracket and also lowered the trunk opening more so the garage door will miss if this ever were to happen again.
Live and learn I suppose.