Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches on Rear Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i recently had some decals on my rear window of my model 3 that I decided to remove due to being crooked. I didn’t use a razor or mineral spirits. I simply flaked it off with my finger nails. Later i removers with mineral spirits. I noticed afterwards that there where light scratches and swirly abrasions everywhere. I didn’t realize glass was that sensitive. Anyways I’m a OCD freak and it drives me crazy. Is there anyway to remove the abrasions and scratches? I called a few glass shops. One said they would look at it but are not responsible if something happens. Anyone else have suggestions?

i recently had some decals on my rear window of my model 3 that I decided to remove due to being crooked. I didn’t use a razor or mineral spirits. I simply flaked it off with my finger nails. Later i removers with mineral spirits. I noticed afterwards that there where light scratches and swirly abrasions everywhere. I didn’t realize glass was that sensitive. Anyways I’m a OCD freak and it drives me crazy. Is there anyway to remove the abrasions and scratches? I called a few glass shops. One said they would look at it but are not responsible if something happens. Anyone else have suggestions?
Fine blemishes are pretty easy to remove with a glass polish kit, drill, and half an hour. I bought one from Amazon for about $30.

Will this compromise the integrity of the glass? I called a couple detail shops who said they don’t do it and one that said they did and the customer complained of water leaking. They said they haven’t done it since. Hard to believe there are no shops that could do this. I guess they just want customers money to just replace glass.

I have scratches on my windshield. I was going to have a glass guy take care of it but was warned that by correcting the scratches, the windshield could be optically distorted. You’re basically taking a tiny layer off your glass when you correct for scratches, swirl marks, etc., at the risk of some optical distortion and also possibly weakening the glass. I’m not a glass expert and this information is from my glass guy. So, I just left it alone.

I had scratches on both rear door windows at delivery. Looked like someone had used a razor to scrape off transport markings. The service center replaced them both. Said they couldn't do anything to repair them. They also re-tinted the new windows too, which was cool, since I had the car tinted knowing it would at some point be back in service to address those scratches.