Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Black Overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had the MY about 2 months and have had 3 screen/computer issues where I had to hold the restart buttons to resolve.

Today, I went outside and got in the car and the screen was completely black. I tried holding the button longer and it didn’t work. Eventually I held it down for over a minute and it finally restarted and worked fine. It’s been raining a ton, so I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the weather has been very mild temperature wise.

Anyone else have this issue? Is having to restart the screen a couple times a month normal?

Sorry @howlz I don't have an answer for you (still a prospective customer here, but hoping to fix that soon!).

This does make me wonder though: I wonder if it's a good idea to pro-actively restart the system every week or so? I do this with my smartphone, and it helps prevent those weird random gremlins that pop up after a lengthy time of continuous operation, and I likewise reboot my PC at least every few weeks (usually there's a system update the requires it anyway).

I wonder if this would be a good preventative thing to do with a Tesla? Then you would control the temporary downtime and do it at a convenient time, rather than hopping in your car to find an unresponsive screen. Or worse yet, having issues crop up while driving.

Does anyone know if there is any harm in doing this every week or two? Has anyone tried it, and if so, has it decreased your glitches with the screen & computer?

So I’ve had the MY about 2 months and have had 3 screen/computer issues where I had to hold the restart buttons to resolve.

Today, I went outside and got in the car and the screen was completely black. I tried holding the button longer and it didn’t work. Eventually I held it down for over a minute and it finally restarted and worked fine. It’s been raining a ton, so I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the weather has been very mild temperature wise.

Anyone else have this issue? Is having to restart the screen a couple times a month normal?

I had something similar happen a couple of times this week. I'd get in my car at lunch and upon entering the car, the screen was completely black. I drove off anyway because I was running late and about a minute down the road, the screen automatically restarted with the large Tesla logo and then behaved normally.

Reactions: howlz
I may have found the cause of random black screens on my 2 month old Model S, thanks to Tesla engineering. My thumb drive for sentry mode was formatted in exFAT. Not sure how/why since it was formatted by car. After pulling the thumb drive, no new black screens in 10 days. Who would have thought that?...

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I may have found the cause of random black screens on my 2 month old Model S, thanks to Tesla engineering. My thumb drive for sentry mode was formatted in exFAT. Not sure how/why since it was formatted by car. After pulling the thumb drive, no new black screens in 10 days. Who would have thought that?...
Huh? exFAT is supported (and as you mention, the default for "format" when done in the car), and there is no logical reason why your USB drive formatted appropriately would cause your symptoms.

You mention thumb drive. Ditch that and get a microSD card rated for video and an SD-USB converter. One possibility is your thumb drive itself is the culprit, and thumb drives do not survive well as dashcam/sentry storage devices.

Huh? exFAT is supported (and as you mention, the default for "format" when done in the car), and there is no logical reason why your USB drive formatted appropriately would cause your symptoms.

You mention thumb drive. Ditch that and get a microSD card rated for video and an SD-USB converter. One possibility is your thumb drive itself is the culprit, and thumb drives do not survive well as dashcam/sentry storage devices.

This actually happened to me today while trying to return to work. Got in my car and ac was on but screen was black. Reset the car twice and screen would come on then immediately go back too black. As soon as I was calling Tesla it connected to my car over bluetooth and my screen came back on and drove away. I put an SSD in my car and formatted it day 1 and first time this has happened in 2 weeks with the car. Not sure what that was all about.

I had something similar happen a couple of times this week. I'd get in my car at lunch and upon entering the car, the screen was completely black. I drove off anyway because I was running late and about a minute down the road, the screen automatically restarted with the large Tesla logo and then behaved normally.

Same thing happened to me on Monday the 14th. Made a quick stop and I was back in the car after 1 minute. The screen was blank. I drove off (with the blank screen) and after a minute or two the screen automatically restarted with the large Tesla logo. After that all is A-OK.