Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot the touch screen with the steering wheel buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AAKEE

Jan 8, 2021
Sweden
I can not remember seeing any suggestions here to ”reboot the car” with the steering wheel buttons?

I know the buttons only restarts the touch screen and having issues with any other system, the correct solution is to use the ”shut down the car” in the menu.

I am asking because the Swedish forums in general and Swedish Facebook groups recommends using the steering wheel buttons as a general solution for every issue. Also, the community is 101% locked by the myth, so it is almost impossible to break it, as it seems.

So do this myth/misunderstanding also float around here?
I can not remember I saw it, and I wasn’t able to find examples about this by searching?

It's in the manual.
But whether it can fix every issue could be a myth.
SmartSelect_20240126_051353_Samsung Internet.jpg

The infotainment system reboot is recommended a little bit too often and for almost everything in my local facebook groups too... but it never hurts so I guess there's no harm in suggesting it. People just don't quite understand the details of issues and what could cause it so they go with what they know.

Reactions: AAKEE
The infotainment system reboot is recommended a little bit too often and for almost everything in my local facebook groups too... but it never hurts so I guess there's no harm in suggesting it. People just don't quite understand the details of issues and what could cause it so they go with what they know.
Yes, I’d say it will not hurt but to only suggest rebooting with the buttons for *any* issue would not be correct.

The power of in the menu, and wait > 2min would be correct and maybe add the button thing also.

So, the reset via the buttons is widely spread…?

Anything that looks like a software glitch makes anyone that ever used a computer think that a reboot might help. It's often true. The scroll wheel reboot only reboots part of the car, not everything, but it sometimes solves some of the issues. Shutting down the car solves other types of issues, although waiting 2 minutes might not be enough. I've never been able to hear the contactors close after just a few minutes of waiting after choosing "shutdown car" from the menu. Disconnecting the low voltage cable under the rear seat does that well though, after pressing that button :)

Reactions: zoomer0056
Because there is no such thing as rebooting the car.

Even if you unplug the main battery, the inverter, the BMS, power converter and other modules will not reboot because they operate on firmware level.

Rebooting the car is just a forum myth.

All there is is just rebooting the MCU which is technically a Linux on Intel/ AMD

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Because there is no such thing as rebooting the car.

Even if you unplug the main battery, the inverter, the BMS, power converter and other modules will not reboot because they operate on firmware level.

Rebooting the car is just a forum myth.

All there is is just rebooting the MCU which is technically a Linux on Intel/ AMD

Agreed. During this "reboot", the car is still driveable just without any displays or controls (so no, do not try it). But the point is that if it truly were rebooting all the way down, it would function at all.

It doesn’t matter which window you open, as long as you can reach the touchscreen. I don’t know if the trunk being open is a problem (probably not), but why does that matter?

The instructions for the Ingenext Boost LFP (device to unlock more motor power), which is installed in the trunk, say to power down the car before unplugging the device. I've always felt it's impossible and the car doesn't actually turn off when I hit that button (the screen turns off, but I still hear noises, and opening a door or something causes the screen to come on suspiciously instantly, like the computer was clearly already on and booted), but I've never tried doing it with the doors closed.