Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screens go dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both screens go black when driving. System reboots on it's own. Tesla says it's a firmware issue and they are waiting for the engineers to fix it. They say for now, do scroll reset every 2-3 days. The car has rebooted itself 4 times in 5 days. Anybody else?

Same here. Started happening after going to MCU2. It has rebooted on me 4 times in 7 weeks. Before that, MCU1 only rebooted I think 2 times in over 4 years. The first time MCU2 rebooted on me was a bit jarring because the front display also goes blank. With MCU1, it is a separate computer and would stay on. Fortunately car continues to run fine. I was also about 1,200 miles away from home at that time. But it came back.

I was hoping 2021.4.18.2 would fix it but it rebooted on me once yesterday. After it comes back on, I say “bug report”. I did log a service ticked after the 3rd reset and they pushed a new update. But it didn’t help.

Last edited:
I have had a mobile Tech visit and 2 service appointments for this issue on my late 2016 S. There is also a recall on this problem. Service center now says that I can upgrade screen for $1500 or wait for the notification from Tesla that the parts are in stock to do the recall. This has been an ongoing problem for me since August 2020 with still no resolution. Still think Tesla is the best car but service needs improvement.

My 2017 MS 100D was updated to MCU2 in April 2021. It has rebooted several times over the last couple of months.

The last reboot occurred as I was trying to use the online owners' manual. Someone else in another thread also indicated that they were accessing the manual just prior to the reboot.

My guess is that the engineers may be having trouble reliably replicating the 'spontaneous' reboot trigger. Can anyone else link the reboot to a specific activity?

It's been happening on my 12/16 Model S and my friend's 3/18 Model S (both upgraded to MCU2 with FSD, mine with the radio retrofit) often enough that it's starting to get old real quick. Initially I chalked it up to owning a big fancy computer on wheels, but I'm kind of surprised Tesla hasn't gotten in trouble for this one (given the speedometer goes black for a few minutes).

It's been happening on my 12/16 Model S and my friend's 3/18 Model S (both upgraded to MCU2 with FSD, mine with the radio retrofit) often enough that it's starting to get old real quick. Initially I chalked it up to owning a big fancy computer on wheels, but I'm kind of surprised Tesla hasn't gotten in trouble for this one (given the speedometer goes black for a few minutes).
Next

I've had a few more of the reboots and Tesla support scheduled service. Later they sent a message saying that they are aware of the problem and it is associated with opening the on-line owners manual.

The last reboot occurred when I was driving and the wife was trying to use the web browser. The large center display became unresponsive but did not go black as it had the last couple of reboots... BUT, the smaller dashboard display DID blackout for about 30 seconds. The large 'T' logo appeared for about 15 seconds, then the normal display appeared. This was strange behavior because I read that with MCU2 the displays were 'linked' and they would both turn off during the reboot.

This issue has been occurring for quite a while but it does not seem to be getting any serious attention. Also, I engaged with support via chat and the person I was discussing this with said there was a recall issued for the problem. Later I learned that they were probably talking about the MCU2 replacement campaign.

I've had a few more of the reboots and Tesla support scheduled service. Later they sent a message saying that they are aware of the problem and it is associated with opening the on-line owners manual.

The last reboot occurred when I was driving and the wife was trying to use the web browser. The large center display became unresponsive but did not go black as it had the last couple of reboots... BUT, the smaller dashboard display DID blackout for about 30 seconds. The large 'T' logo appeared for about 15 seconds, then the normal display appeared. This was strange behavior because I read that with MCU2 the displays were 'linked' and they would both turn off during the reboot.

This issue has been occurring for quite a while but it does not seem to be getting any serious attention. Also, I engaged with support via chat and the person I was discussing this with said there was a recall issued for the problem. Later I learned that they were probably talking about the MCU2 replacement campaign.

I'm dubious of their hypothesis. I'm not sure if I've ever opened the User Manual in my vehicle, and certainly not anytime in the past year when I've had these unexpected reboots. Nearly all of mine happen when driving (in motion) and not interacting with any part of the UI.

Reactions: WhiteWi and MIT_S60
I'm dubious of their hypothesis. I'm not sure if I've ever opened the User Manual in my vehicle, and certainly not anytime in the past year when I've had these unexpected reboots. Nearly all of mine happen when driving (in motion) and not interacting with any part of the UI.
Yes, I'm doubtful now as well. Since my last post, I've experienced about a dozen additional reboots; some when I enter the car, or when I have been using the browser, and others with no interaction at all. Having to back out of my garage when the center display backup camera isn't available isn't much fun at all.

I requested service on this again due to the increased frequency of the reboots. They scheduled service with a Ranger, but the ranger never showed up on the appointed day/time and then they closed the service appointment so I can't inquire about the 'miss'.

I can't find any way to contact Service about this issue and the missed appointment. I love their automated process for service, but when they go 'quiet' and non-responsive... not so much.