Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scroll wheel hot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in South Florida, so our Model 3 black steering wheel is not surprisingly a challenge, which we will resolve with a steering wheel cover which handles the sun/heat with better color/materials.

However, the BIG challenge is the scroll wheels on the steering wheel get hot enough in the sun, to prevent/reduce usage on hot/sunny SoFL days. Any ideas? Is there a cover with scroll wheel flaps or overlays?

I have a 2022 M3LR (only had it two weeks so far). Today while leaving for work I checked the app and the cabin was like 150*. I have “no a/c” selected for my protection.

I have about a 200 yd walk to started the a/c and vented the windows before I left to walk to the car. By the time I got in, it wasn’t bad. Around 90 or something (it was 85* outside).

The one thing I noticed for the first time was omg how hot the scroll wheels were. They were so hot I could barely keep my finger on them it burned / hurt pretty bad. Pretty crazy they can get this hot!!!

Upvote 0
One of the benefits of the vintage Model 3s are the old non-metal scroll wheels which do not get cold or hot with cabin and ambient temp swings.

My trusty old 2018 reminds me of that each time I drive the familys 2023 Y or any recent Hertz rentals.

Perhaps they can be retrofitted into the newer steering wheels since its fairly easy to separate out all the sub-assemblies involved with new vs old (heated, non-heated, leather, faux leather, different access hole locations, harnesses etc).

Upvote 0