Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seasucker placement on Model S with full glass roof(no sunroof)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a mini bomber rack today. So I think there are two ways I can use this on the S. 1) Mount it just behind the top of the windshield, so that all suction cups are entirely on the glass roof. I'd position the 4 suction cups over the part of the roof that you cannot see thru, where there is support. 2) Mount the rack further back, such that the suction cup that holds the rear wheel actually rests aluminum trunk lid, and the part that holds the bike forks rest on the hatch glass, or maybe the back part of the roof.
Which one of these is the better choice? I know I would loose visibility out the rear window, but I could use the rear camera view. Is one more aero and range forgiving than the other? Would putting the suction cup on the aluminum trunk lid cause it to deform?

I ordered a mini bomber rack today. So I think there are two ways I can use this on the S. 1) Mount it just behind the top of the windshield, so that all suction cups are entirely on the glass roof. I'd position the 4 suction cups over the part of the roof that you cannot see thru, where there is support. 2) Mount the rack further back, such that the suction cup that holds the rear wheel actually rests aluminum trunk lid, and the part that holds the bike forks rest on the hatch glass, or maybe the back part of the roof.
Which one of these is the better choice?

I just ordered the Mini Bomber too. Now that you have some experience, which way do you recommend mounting it on a Model S?

Which one of these is the better choice? I know I would loose visibility out the rear window, but I could use the rear camera view. Is one more aero and range forgiving than the other? Would putting the suction cup on the aluminum trunk lid cause it to deform?
I do the latter for a few years now with my heavy electric bike, and no problems. Good angle of mounting this way.

Reactions: TFCooper3
I recommend #2. There is less wind noise, and the bike is more level. I can also drive in and out of the garage with it on the roof without worry. It does block the view out the rear view mirror slightly, but I think its a good thing, because I can see how the bike is hanging on just by glancing out the back.

I'm doing #2. I had to move the rack and wheel suckers forward though since I've added a wrap to the car and that would be a bad combo with the suckers. Now the wheel mounts are on the hatch glass. I don't have too many problems with visibility. Only once have I forgotten there was a bike on the back and tried to open the trunk. Fortunately, the system "felt" the resistance and stopped. That was a way better outcome than a broken roof or bike.

I can also confirm that the racks hold just fine at speeds well above typical highway speeds. :)