Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat back movement with acceleration/deceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on my 100D with Cream Seats and PUP, I've been noticing that on the seat back, where my lower back is (not the adjustable lumbar support though), that it feels like something moves forward and backward when I accelerate and when the car decelerates.

So when I accelerate, it feels like something in the seat back support (in the lower back area) moves backwards and when the car decelerates, it feels like it moves forward. Seems more noticeable with harder acceleration/deceleration.

I'm wondering if I am imagining this or if anyone else has felt something similar too...

Thanks!

My seat definitely rocks slightly when accelerating or braking modestly. Not sure it’s the seat back or the whole seat.

I had a BMW Z3 that did the same - but more pronounced. The fix was to replace some rubber bushings under the seat with metal spacers.

I've noticed it recently too. What's odd is I didn't notice it before the .42 update, but now it's more pronounced. I could only think of a couple things that have changed:

* the firmware updates
* it's been colder and I've been using the seat warmers more
* I've lost like 10 lbs lately and though maybe it was just how my back was connecting to the seat was different

How about on your end?

It felt like my whole seat was loose and moving like you describe, but I couldn't easily recreate it because I was trying to move it by pressing against the seat back. Turns out the seat cushion was loose and shifting back and forth, making it feel like the whole seat was moving. It was easy to recreate if I leaned forward so I wasn't bracing against the seat back. It's extremely annoying, because it shifts slightly every time I accelerate or brake. The SC is replacing the seat, been waiting 2 months for the replacement so far.

I've noticed it recently too. What's odd is I didn't notice it before the .42 update, but now it's more pronounced. I could only think of a couple things that have changed:

* the firmware updates
* it's been colder and I've been using the seat warmers more
* I've lost like 10 lbs lately and though maybe it was just how my back was connecting to the seat was different

How about on your end?

I've only had my X for a little over a month and my updates came pretty quickly so I couldn't say for sure if I felt it before the .42 update.

I haven't used my seat warmers yet.

I also haven't been able to find a comfortable seating position yet either. My back and neck always get sore, even on short drives and my butt/legs feel a metal bar on the seat bottom which makes my hamstring sore too. Perhaps I may need a seat replacement like Krazaak is waiting for...

This has been documented especially for early builds. Tesla will tell you this is normal and it is not. After 10 months Tesla finally agreed to replace my seat. This is not an uncommon issue but not widespread like some of the other known issues. My new seat does not move as much but the leather creasing is just as bad (ventilated seats). It is acceptable for now. Time will tell if the movement comes back.