Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle Area 240v install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Looking for recommendations for electiricans in the Seattle/KingCo area.
I am in need of a 240v install in our detached garage for a new EV.
Any experiences and/or recommendations had with electricians/companies would be great. Even a price that was paid? Assuming it will range from $400-2400 ?
Thanks again,
-A

I spent about $200 on parts and did it myself (mostly copper wire). My panel was in my garage. With a detached garage, cost is going to vary widely depending on how much trenching is required and if there is any concrete in the way. You might consider just using an existing outlet in the garage and putting a 240 camper outlet somewhere cheaper so you can occasionally charge in a hurry.

I did it myself.
Though it was 100ft distance between detached garage, all around $1500-2000
I ended up doing it myself around $450.

Trencher Rental - $75
UFB Wiring 6/3 - $280
Misc parts - $100 (breaker, conduit box, clamps, outlet etc)

I then last weekend changed to a wall charger.

That link says your exempt for the HWPC and the associated labor but what about additional equipment such as plug adapters for different outlets if you go that route, would that be exempt? Been trying to dig up info if I install a generic EV charger and then have to buy an additional j1772 adapter for example on there.

That link says your exempt for the HWPC and the associated labor but what about additional equipment such as plug adapters for different outlets if you go that route, would that be exempt? Been trying to dig up info if I install a generic EV charger and then have to buy an additional j1772 adapter for example on there.
My interpretation is that it would be, but IANAL. :p

Might want to try grabbing one @ a local service center, because I bet they're already aware of the rules on this & would know if it qualifies. Tesla's online store still charges tax on things like the HWPC, you have to submit the form & email them a bunch to get a refund.