Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle Touchless car wash recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally use a Touchless car wash on all my cars to avoid scratches or swirls, but the one near me (airport touchless Car wash) ruined the chrome trim on my Model 3. Apparently this is due to the soap having a high ph level or something.

I have a Model Y now, and want to avoid ruining the black trim. Any recommendations for a Touchless car wash that won’t cause any damage?

Reactions: bruce4000
All touchless car washes likely will have the same issue since they need the extreme pH to actually work well since they don’t have any physical action.

Nothing will fix it after the damage occurs. All the snake oil you hear about here just covers it up. If you don’t mind the initial damage and touching it up every time you wash or if it rains heavy, go for it.

I never said my method was more environmentally friendly

True, but also OP was asking for recommendations on a touchless wash, not whether or not they should be using one at all.

Anyway...

It is also definitely valid for @gglockner worth sharing environmental impacts and/or any legal factors. City of Bothell, King County, and many others state the impact on our water systems.

Taking the environmental point above, I will also stray from OP asking specifically about touchless, and share that my preferred method is to bucket wash in a Brown Bear self service car wash, bringing my kit from home (2 gallon sprayer, bucket of warm soapy water with a couple of clean mits) to clean the car, then paying for and using their rinsing sprayer. I usually do a final spray of Wash Wax All when I get home and wipe down the clean microfibers. I've used this method with my 2011 WRX and have had desired results each time.

I cringe thinking I pay $3 - $4 to basically use their pressure washer, but at least the dirty water is collected on site and recycled.

I will say my post is very biased, but I swim in Lake Washington regularly, and I have water access just two blocks away. Our storm drain and local streams are right by my home.

Reactions: ManMachine
So based on all this environmentally friendly information, we shouldn't drive our cars in the rain right? Because last I checked, driving itn eh rain will wash all those nasty things into the storm drains. Not saying we should be able to wash cars whenever we want, but they should also promote not driving in the rain if they are going to say washing your car is bad for the environment.

I think the point of a professional carwash is that they capture the waste water and filter it. In some locations, they recycle the filtered water back into the carwash.

If you like to wash your own car, you can do that at a self-serve location like Brown Bear, which will recycle the waste water. I don't, so I wash my cars at Aloha touchless carwash in Woodinville.

I usually used Brown Bear and hand washed my 22M3 with no problems. Today I went touch-less at Aloha in Woodinville to give it a try as I was in a hurry and was shocked to see rainbow discoloration on the black trim later in the day. There was no warning at the car wash that this might happen: Bear at least has people who told me *not* to go through the automatic wash with my M3 because they have seen side-view mirrors being torn off.

Strict hand wash for me, but not pleased with the unpleasant surprise.

I usually used Brown Bear and hand washed my 22M3 with no problems. Today I went touch-less at Aloha in Woodinville to give it a try as I was in a hurry and was shocked to see rainbow discoloration on the black trim later in the day. There was no warning at the car wash that this might happen: Bear at least has people who told me *not* to go through the automatic wash with my M3 because they have seen side-view mirrors being torn off.

Once it’s ruined, it’s unfortunately ruined. That’s a chemical process that discolors it. There are a number of ways to cover it up and minimize it, but it’ll likely show up again after a number of rains or hand washing it. Whatever Tesla is/isn’t doing is unique to the other guys that use black trim. Tesla does say in their manual to only hand wash the car to avoid damage, so they probably won’t replace it. I was quoted ~$1500 for replacement.

Touchless car wash chemicals are pretty aggressive. If you look up their SDS you’ll see most are fairly basic or acidic (both are used during the wash). There doesn’t seem to be away around that unless a car wash specifically advertises as using non-harsh chemicals, the ones that would be used for hand washes, but you’ll get *much* worse wash performance from
a touchless not using the aggressive chemicals.

My experience is completely different: I can rinse off this discoloration quickly and easily.

Back when I got my 2014 MS, Tesla actually recommended touchless car washes.

Last edited:
I've been to the Woodinville Aloha Car Wash twice so far with my Model Y, and each time the black window trim got the rainbow discoloration. As recommended elsewhere on those forums, I used the Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes and that cleared up the issue.

This suggest to me that the car wash is not damaging the trim pieces, instead just leaving some residue that's easily removed. Note that I'm using the least expensive wash, so results may differ with the more expensive washes.

Reactions: gglockner
Gonna revive this thread by recommending Classy Chassis car wash in the Tacoma area. Their automatic brushless wash has one of the most satisfying high pressure jets I’ve seen so far.
It will never replace an actual manual or wash with physical brushes but it does the job.
Had to search for wash threads after my friends asked me if i have matte ppf on my MY😅
Guess i need to wash my car more often…
Having moved from California I don’t know how you washingtonians keep your cars so clean even with the rain and occasional sleet

Reactions: gglockner