Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all and thanks for the add.
I’ve decided to buy a used S85. I’m looking at a 2014 model.
We currently have a Nissan Leaf (sorry) but wife and kids need more room and range so an S it is.
I’ve got a few short listed.
Are there any issues from the 2014 model that I should be aware of or potential problems to look for?
I believe from what I’ve read that ‘14 models had some teething issues.
One of the short listed ones is also having the drive unit replaced under warranty. Is this somthing that the ‘14 models should all have done?
Any other tips?
I’m from the UK but living in Bergen, Norway.
Prices over here are approx £42-47,000 for what I’m after.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to finding all about them on here.
Julian

Drive unit replacements happen if necessary, there wasn't a recall or something where all cars had it done. If you get it and the drive unit needs replacing, it's covered under warranty until 2022 no matter the mileage. Same for the battery.

Look for yellowing on the display edges, it was more common it hot climates but that's something that might need replacing. Also check all 4 doors extend and open when pulled from the outside. That used to be expensive but now it's a $5 fix.

Drive unit replacements happen if necessary, there wasn't a recall or something where all cars had it done. If you get it and the drive unit needs replacing, it's covered under warranty until 2022 no matter the mileage. Same for the battery.

Look for yellowing on the display edges, it was more common it hot climates but that's something that might need replacing. Also check all 4 doors extend and open when pulled from the outside. That used to be expensive but now it's a $5 fix.
Thanks for the info. Nice one.

A big consideration is when it was built - starting mid-September 2014, the factory starting including Autopilot hardware. The VIN might be (very roughly) indicative of when it was put together, but since this is a European-spec I'm guessing this is likely pre-AP.