Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking a test ride in a Model 3 Performance or Model S P100D In San Jose/Santa Clara area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some of you know from my recent posts, I'm contemplating about selling my R8 and going to a Tesla due to my future 40 mile commute with new job.

I want to see the performance of these cars in comparison to a ICE before I make a commitment. I've gone to both Tesla Santana Row and Tesla Sunnyvale for test drives and they've only given me a long range even though I've requested a Performance. They claim they don't keep any at their location (any truth to this?).

Regardless, if Tesla isn't going to have any kind of Performance/P100D onsite, I'm hoping there is someone in the local area who would be willing to meet up for 15-30 minutes to show their car and perhaps give me a ride in it to see what its all about.

I'm right by Santa Clara University to give you a better understanding of where I am.

Let me know if you have some availability!

Thank you in advance.

I edited your thread title slightly for clarity.

When you say “P100D” I assume you are referring a Model X, and “Performance” refers to a. Model 3 Performance?

Hope you find someone to help you out.

When I meant P100D, I was speaking more to the Model S. Please correct me if I have naming off. Basically, deciding a few things

#1: Minor/major difference of 3.2 vs 2.4
#2: Size/feeling of Model 3 vs S

When I meant P100D, I was speaking more to the Model S. Please correct me if I have naming off. Basically, deciding a few things

#1: Minor/major difference of 3.2 vs 2.4
#2: Size/feeling of Model 3 vs S
Sorry, my mistake, I revised the thread title.

The size/feeling difference of a 3 compared to an S is significant, in my opinion. But you can easily test drive both at a Tesla Showroom and get a sense of that even if the cars you test drive are not Performance models.

I have test driven a 3 Performance and an S Performance. The S at max acceleration felt like my head was going to explode. The 3 at max acceleration felt like...my head was going to explode. Sure the S is about 30% quicker. But when you are dealing with those kind of acceleration times and the instantaneous torque, the feeling is essentially the same in my opinion. And on public roads you will almost never be able to safely use that kind of acceleration anyway.

For background, I owned a Tesla Roadster with a 3.9 0-60 time. And my LR AWD Model 3 is no slouch either. I have also owned an S, but not the performance version.

I suggest that instead of focusing on the 0-60 times, focus on which car meets your needs better, the 3 Performance or the S P100D. The S is a really big, heavy vehicle. The 3 has much better handling.

Before I ordered my Model 3 in 2018 we had won a week with a Model S or X of our choice. We went with the Model S and were given a P100D at Santa Row. However what Santa Row said about not having one is probably true right now. At end of quarter Tesla more or less sells all their cars, even demos, loaners and test vehicles. They become a hot commodity and snapped up quickly as they are made available for sale so my guess is they were being honest with you. The performance models are very desirous among those wanting that performance/speed level. Since I recall in the past people mentioning they went for a test drive at those locations (been to both locations myself) and while they wanted to test drive either a SR+ or other model they were given a performance model (guess figuring if you liked it enough you'd upgrade if possible). So I just think it's the time of the quarter.

Last edited: