Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice from MS owners. My Chevy Volt lease is up in a few months and I am planning to purchase a MS. Based on my budget, I can either get a new 60D or a pre-owned 85. I have read nothing but stellar reviews of the new 60D, but would like the greater range of the 85. I know that the additional range on the 60 can be unlocked, but I would rather not have to pay to do that down the road; and it would still be slightly lower than an 85 at that point.

I've been watching this forum and the CPO site for quite some time now and have seen some very good deals on used 85's. I am not looking for autopilot, so that is not an issue for me. If I go with a new 60D, I can get the $7,500 federal tax credit; and a $2,000 NYS rebate (not sure how to claim this one). If any MS owners have some insight that I may not be aware of or considering, it would be greatly appreciated. It's been a long time coming for me and either way, my next car will be a MS! Thanks in advance!

Make sure you get a warranty if CPO. Potential for expensive repairs otherwise. Buying used is generally going to be a better deal cost-wise but you loose out on the latest features and improvements to the car. Unlike most (?all) other manufacturers that only introduce new models at new model years,Tesla has made constant improvements since introduction, some small (folding mirrors), some major (autopilot) and of course the new look of the front end lately. If you buy CPO you should make sure you know exactly what the age of production is and what you get or don't get as a result. Not all 2014 85's are the same. I'm sure somewhere on this forum someone has a chart of features and when they were added to the line over time.

Given the high likelihood of AP 2 I'd get a new 60. Even if AP 2 doesn't interest you (I think you'll change your mind) it will help with resale. For day to day use the range on the 60 isn't bad since you can charge it to 100% and will it supercharge like a 75.

Had the same decision to make a few months ago and after test driving and using AP, I decided my current driving habits did not need/want AP. I know shocking, not everyone wants or needs it. Also not a big fan of the new facelift. So I decided to buy the best pre-owned P85 I could find and I did just that. Had all the options I wanted and more. Slightly more range, all the bugs had been worked out already, had the addl 4yr/50k warranty, got my favorite color, etc, etc. So for me, it was pre-owned. Make the best decision for you, not what others say you need. (but you got my 2 cents because you asked) Either way, you can't go wrong.

i agree with GolfNut... I opted for a non AP car and reaped the benefits... Got everything I wanted and more... to me the range was important but the performance of the P85+ was too much fun to pass up vs. the 60... I let the last owner take the big hit on depreciation got the car at a steal of a price, had the original owner add on the extended warranty and I have a 125K + car with 6 years of warranty for far cheaper than a new 60...

On a somewhat contradictory note... if you are in an area where weather is more of a factor you might want to consider AWD as a slightly better option... but all things being equal i love my decision....and finding a pristine 2014 at a good price is pretty easily accomplished.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shredder
I like others to take the big hit to value from buying a new car. I went with a P85 with most all options and am very happy. I did have to sacrifice some items like AP, folding mirrors, etc. But I was OK with that. On a recent drive from Las Vegas to Barstow, I was glad I had the extra range. It allowed me to drive a bit faster.

Thank you very much to all of you. I appreciate you taking the time to share your insights. I have seen that chart of improvements on the Forum before. Will look for it again so if I go CPO, I will better understand what's in the car (or not) based on the year/month built. I live in NY, so AWD would be extremely useful, but I have heard that the rear wheel 85's are very good in the snow. I am going to my local Tesla store to check out the 60D in a few weeks. I have much to consider, but as gofnut said, you can't go wrong either way. Thanks again to all.

I certainly wanted AP and AWD, but sticking to $50k or below was the most important factor for me. Ended up finding a fully loaded '12 P85 with the extended warranty at the top of my budget. There wasn't much of a difference to me whether it was a 2012 or 2014 (pre-AP).

buy more range than you think you'll need....it's only when you don't have it that you regret not getting the bigger battery...I secretly hope they'll offer the 100 kWh pack to 85 owners at a reasonable price soon!

Thank you very much to all of you. I appreciate you taking the time to share your insights. I have seen that chart of improvements on the Forum before. Will look for it again so if I go CPO, I will better understand what's in the car (or not) based on the year/month built. I live in NY, so AWD would be extremely useful, but I have heard that the rear wheel 85's are very good in the snow. I am going to my local Tesla store to check out the 60D in a few weeks. I have much to consider, but as gofnut said, you can't go wrong either way. Thanks again to all.

Given that you are in New York, and there are superchargers EVERYWHERE, the 218 miles of range should be more than sufficient for daily use AND long range driving. You would need to get a 90D or P100D to have the range to be able to skip certain superchargers on long range trips. Otherwise, a ~250-260 mile RWD 85 and a 218 mile 60D are going to have to stop at same superchargers when driving distance. I love the old RWD cars (have a 2012 Sig P85), but given your needs and your winters, 60D is the better car and the one to buy. PLUS, you have the option of upgrading to a 75D further down the line if you deem it necessary

Given that you are in New York, and there are superchargers EVERYWHERE, the 218 miles of range should be more than sufficient for daily use AND long range driving. You would need to get a 90D or P100D to have the range to be able to skip certain superchargers on long range trips. Otherwise, a ~250-260 mile RWD 85 and a 218 mile 60D are going to have to stop at same superchargers when driving distance. I love the old RWD cars (have a 2012 Sig P85), but given your needs and your winters, 60D is the better car and the one to buy. PLUS, you have the option of upgrading to a 75D further down the line if you deem it necessary
That is a great point. Our daily driving is not an issue at all. For long trips, it's mostly up and down the eastern corridor (I-95 etc.). So if a 60D and an 85 will have to stop at the same superchargers anyway, it certainly makes more sense to go with a 60D. I'm definitely not going to find a used 90 or 100 in my price range. I spoke with a 60D owner yesterday at NDEW Long Island and he loves it. He told me he's seeing 220 miles of range, but I'm not sure if he's charging to 90% or 100%. But since the battery is actually a 75kW, I don't think it's an issue to charge to 100% anyway. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.