Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self delivered M3, getting to $35k

Free delivery if M3 self drives to your DC

• No, I would pay to be trucked

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yes, saving delivery fee is worth extra miles

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dww12

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2018
San Antonio
Would you buy a Model 3 that had self driven from the factory to your delivery center (extra plastic covering to prevent rock chips)? Just wondering if that will/could be part of pulling the price down to $35k and delivering faster (maybe this has alredy been beaten to death somewhere already). My destination charge was $1,000 the electricity to drive the 1,400 miles should be about $40. If they swapped new tires/wheels at the service center (arriving using “delivery set” that is sent back for reuse) would you take the extra mileage to save $900?

Reactions: Dre78
I think I'd consider it, if it was a regional delivery center (within a single charge) and didn't require swapping tires etc.
I don't think it would be worth doing it across country.

Interesting idea though. The new options self driving presents is so cool.

I can see it now, viewing the AP camera view on your phone while it's on it's way.

This probably will happen some day, regardless of delivery fees.

I'm assuming cross country and saying no to poll.

Reactions: Dre78
Ok, if is part of ALL of the cars’ fees, how much do you think storing/trucking a car costs vs letting it leave the factory on it’s own? I would think organizing a truck to go to a delivery center is not easy. Not all the cars would be ready at the same time and they end up stored in lots all over the place waiting to go. Maybe is saves more than $1,000/car.

By law the destination fee is the same for the same car wherever you pick up your car in the US. The reason the fee is fixed was to ensure buyers far away from car factories were not hammered with excessive fees. And, as a result I had to pay that same $1000 as you, to pickup my car at the Fremont delivery center, 1.3 miles from the factory.

Destination charges are mandated by Federal law to be the same for all customers. If you pick up at the Factory you must be charged the same as someone taking delivery 3,000 miles away.

For many years it has been an idea for Teslas to self deliver. We are not there yet, but getting closer.

When the snake charging cable was shown, it made it all possible.

Would you buy a Model 3 that had self driven from the factory to your delivery center (extra plastic covering to prevent rock chips)? Just wondering if that will/could be part of pulling the price down to $35k and delivering faster (maybe this has alredy been beaten to death somewhere already). My destination charge was $1,000 the electricity to drive the 1,400 miles should be about $40. If they swapped new tires/wheels at the service center (arriving using “delivery set” that is sent back for reuse) would you take the extra mileage to save $900?

That's definitely not part of the $35k vehicle.

It would be cheaper if it replaced a human that has to drive from Fremont to Seattle.

Since cars are not transported one at a time but in batches, it’s not going to be cheaper to even have the car do FSD due to liability reasons alone.

Now a tesla truck platoon with one human managing a fleet, would drive costs down.