Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving or Not?

Get Self-Driving Now?

• Yes

Votes: 42 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 69 62.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The possible FSD features in next month update have been documented already:
  • Unassisted Lane Change: car would pick lane according to traffic flow
  • Follow Navigation: car could automatically pick the lanes that correspond to your destination
  • Blinker to Fork: use the blinker to pick which lane to go to at a fork
  • Vision Stops: Autopilot to stop at detected stop signs/red lights
Probably just one or two of those features will make it to next month's update, but should gives you an idea of what could come next.

They messed up in my opinion by calling the package "Full Self Driving", as really that package is going to be "Partial Self Driving" for many many years to come.

There won't be differences between the two packages in the way that Autopilot interpret obstacles, etc... so no reason for nag to be different in one or the other package, if anything the risk of collisions is only increased with those unassisted lane changes.

I hope they quickly make use of that camera inside the cabin to replace the current method of monitoring the driver's attention, as I feel the perception of self driving is much greater without having to hold the wheel the way you have to hold it today.

I hope they quickly make use of that camera inside the cabin to replace the current method of monitoring the driver's attention, as I feel the perception of self driving is much greater without having to hold the wheel the way you have to hold it today.

Seems like wearing sunglasses would be an easy way to defeat the interior camera. Chevy supercruise got around that by having ir lights and cameras in the steering wheel that can see through sunglasses.

Still yeah, a simple torque sensor alone seems like a poor way to detect if you're paying attention.

Also if you look at the Autopilot page, EAP includes on-ramp to off-ramp, excerpt pasted here:
"your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you."

So I think at least the first 2 FSD features you mentioned above are actually EAP features.

Though man the stop sign/light detection is definitely going to be FSD an that seems like it would be super useful.

Reactions: T-Will
There seems to be an uptick in the number of people who are opting to get the FSD package.

I think two things are driving it. The first one is the higher price to get FSD afterwards, and secondly the announcement of the AP3 computer. Where I think it can be safely assumed that if you have FSD that you'll get the upgrade for free.

Hopefully we'll get a better roadmap/timeline of how FSD will be rolled out. Is it going to be L3 at slow speeds on the freeway (what Audi is doing with the A8 in Germany)?

Traffic is so slow and ridiculous in the Seattle area that even a very limited FSD would be totally worth it.

If there was any kind of feedback from Tesla on what our expectations should be with the FSD package then more people would likely get it.