Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Presenting doors on the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you feel that self-presenting doors will be featured on the Model S anytime soon? As always, I understand this nothing but speculation, but it has always struck me as odd that a feature exists on the X, but not the S.

For those of you with both vehicles, or have at least driven/used an X, how do you feel about the lack of self-presenting doors on the S?

Reactions: Julie's MS
I don't the Model S they'll ever have them. The self presenting makes the Model X unique enough as a feature for people to consider when deciding between a Model S and X.

However I do think the Model Y will have something similar.

I had it in a loaner X for a few days. Didn’t really care for it.

Self close was fine, but didn’t like open.
Would you mind if I ask why? I'm genuinely curious. Is it due to the concern of them hitting something, or just lack of genuine utility?

I don't the Model S they'll ever have them. The self presenting makes the Model X unique enough as a feature for people to consider when deciding between a Model S and X.

However I do think the Model Y will have something similar.

Interesting perspective... I'd be quite surprised if the S never had them. Maybe not this iteration of them, perhaps after a revision, but to never have them is an interesting stance.

Would you mind if I ask why? I'm genuinely curious. Is it due to the concern of them hitting something, or just lack of genuine utility?
Fear of hitting things (i stopped with my hand a few times, not sure if it would have hit).

Opening when not intended (walking by in garage).

But mostly utility. My hands aren’t full getting into drivers seat. Trunk, yes.

I did like auto-close.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Fear of hitting things (i stopped with my hand a few times, not sure if it would have hit).

Opening when not intended (walking by in garage).

But mostly utility. My hands aren’t full getting into drivers seat. Trunk, yes.

I did like auto-close.
I can understand the fear, although I must admit I didn't think of the unintended openings (though, I don't think I would have an issue with that as much). Auto-opening trunk would be wonderful, but now that it can be opened from the app, it may not be as* necessary..

This would make a major redesign necessary. So it won't happen until the MS Version 2 comes out. Tesla is evolving the cars all the time. But to change body panels is a different story.

So I think it will come eventually, but not in the next months.
I had wondered how much of a redesign it would actually constitute, but if it's that significant then that should nail it shut until '19 I'd think.

I was told the reason the X had the auto open/close doors was because of the size of the doors. It makes it harder to open and close when you are in the seat. Obviously the S doors are very light and have no issues like this. Of course, this may be BS.

However, as the husband of a wife who constantly gets out of the car and leaves her door open, I'd love the ability to close her door. :p

Do you feel that self-presenting doors will be featured on the Model S anytime soon? As always, I understand this nothing but speculation, but it has always struck me as odd that a feature exists on the X, but not the S.

For those of you with both vehicles, or have at least driven/used an X, how do you feel about the lack of self-presenting doors on the S?

dont really care for it. wouldnt use it if the car came with it.

i've had a loaner X with it. living in a busy city, it really is impractical. you are opening doors onto busy streets where people are going 30+ mph. its just an accident waiting to happen.

one thing they seem to had forgotten is having a button on the outside door to close the door after you get out(tried the one you use to open with but it does nothing) instead of having to manually swing it close unless i missed something here. the soft close is a nice feature though.

• Helpful
Reactions: PrGrPa
I had an S for 4 years and my husband still has one. I love the auto open/close feature of the X. It's so convenient, especially as I find myself carrying a bunch a things (purse, coffee, other bags, etc.) Auto close by stepping on the brake pedal is also a plus. When i'm in my husband's S, i have to think twice just to open the door from the inside since you actually have to push it open. When I have a loaner S, I find myself standing by the door waiting for it to open. LOL You don't realize how convenient it is until you don't have it. I probably would only consider getting another S (over the X) if it had the self-presenting doors.

Reactions: msm859 and PrGrPa
I had an S for 4 years and my husband still has one. I love the auto open/close feature of the X. It's so convenient, especially as I find myself carrying a bunch a things (purse, coffee, other bags, etc.) Auto close by stepping on the brake pedal is also a plus. When i'm in my husband's S, i have to think twice just to open the door from the inside since you actually have to push it open. When I have a loaner S, I find myself standing by the door waiting for it to open. LOL You don't realize how convenient it is until you don't have it. I probably would only consider getting another S (over the X) if it had the self-presenting doors.

My wife loves them. And I think they are also great. Especially to be able to control all the other doors with the screen. I too sometimes forget and walk up to my car (Not a Tesla) and wonder why the door doesn't open for me and then get inside and tap the brake and wonder why it doesn't close for me. Also, nice for everyone to get out and simply touch the fob and have all of the doors close.