Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the push he's given FSD lately I'll be pretty shocked if a substantial amount of the call isn't him talking about robotaxi.

Which is not something WS usually responds well to.

Double fun if he throws out some more stuff about how people won't need to buy cars anymore while doing the earnings call for what most still perceive as primarily a car company.
"Prototypes are easy. Production is hard. Delivery is harder."

@tivoboy Thank you for raising the need for downside protection back in January/February for end of March. I heeded and prepared by selling strategic short calls and buying long puts, together which really helped me weather the dump a lot easier than had I been caught off guard!

I appreciate what you add to this thread 🙏

View attachment 1034933
Well, that’s awfully kind and neighborly Jim.~. Thanks. I simply try to call it like i see it and see the data unfolding ahead of me. Because I’m 6’4” I’ve always known i can see just a little bit past the horizon that everyone else sees. ;-)

Well, here we are.. TSLA $16x, 10-yr 4.35%, there’s only a couple more numbers to fall into place and we‘ll have a trifecta

Good luck everyone.

PSA: indeed, buying shitputs when the SP was high is a good idea, like-wise, especially for those who write CC's down here, consider some cheap shitcalls to provide protection in case of reversal...

For my part, I still hold June +c100's, which look likely to expire worthless, and January 2025 +c300's which remain in play and are my safety-net in-case-of

As mentioned, I do still hold 100x +c200 LEAPS, my plan with those is to regularly roll and keep them in play for writing against - would cost $14 to roll the Dec 2025's to Dec 2026, on the principle that I will write $1 - $2 against those every week, it's a 500% ROIC

I will buy shitcalls as-and-when necessary, which give me the freedom to write aggressive weeklies

Obviously if the Tesla fleet becomes sentient and the SP takes-off, I will sell the LEAPS

PSA: indeed, buying shitputs when the SP was high is a good idea, like-wise, especially for those who write CC's down here, consider some cheap shitcalls to provide protection in case of reversal...
For those who currently have no *sugar*calls (they either liquidated or expired), what would be a good strike/expiration NFA?

• Helpful
Reactions: EnzoXYZ
sorry i am slow and i don't get it - can you please give an example of this? TIA!

instead of B/W, you sell the +c of longer dte to the weeklies? aka PMCC?
First of all, there's nothing linked in my broker, it's all independent positions, I get the impression with your broker they are...?

So I'm essentially writing weekly calls against my +c200 LEAPS, Dec 2025 & June 2026 currently, rolled those CC's down to -c165 yesterday - still lots of time to roll up and out if the SP reverses, but then I risk being able to offload the LEAP for profits if the SP were to shoot up to 300 (this is what happened to me last May/June)

So I always keep 100x +c, 6 - 12 months out, purely to use for rolling... real example:

2/5 STO 100x -c175 @$6.7 -> SP popped up to the high 180's, BTC @$14, STO 100x Sep 2024 -c240 @$16.8 -> these used the Jan +c300's as the long-leg pod a calendar diagonal

Meaning my +c200 LEAPS were freed-up to write against... then when the SP crashed back into the 170's, I closed-out the Sep 2024 -c240's for 50% profit, rewrite them weeklies -c175, rolled and they ten espired

Does all that make sense?

For those who currently have no *sugar*calls (they either liquidated or expired), what would be a good strike/expiration NFA?
If I were looking to buy then I would wait until Jan 2025 +c240's are around $8, which will be when TSLA is around $155 -> SP $240 is the price where I'd be OK to offload all my LEAPS

I might grab some myself, $8 is a couple of weekly -cATM writes, worth the investment IMO

Again, important to note that I'd expect these to expire worthless

First of all, there's nothing linked in my broker, it's all independent positions, I get the impression with your broker they are...?

So I'm essentially writing weekly calls against my +c200 LEAPS, Dec 2025 & June 2026 currently, rolled those CC's down to -c165 yesterday - still lots of time to roll up and out if the SP reverses, but then I risk being able to offload the LEAP for profits if the SP were to shoot up to 300 (this is what happened to me last May/June)

So I always keep 100x +c, 6 - 12 months out, purely to use for rolling... real example:

2/5 STO 100x -c175 @$6.7 -> SP popped up to the high 180's, BTC @$14, STO 100x Sep 2024 -c240 @$16.8 -> these used the Jan +c300's as the long-leg pod a calendar diagonal

Meaning my +c200 LEAPS were freed-up to write against... then when the SP crashed back into the 170's, I closed-out the Sep 2024 -c240's for 50% profit, rewrite them weeklies -c175, rolled and they ten espired

Does all that make sense?
WOW tyvm! I'm going to try that but have to learn the timing dynamics first 🩷

i was in the process of moving my Discord from ultra-garbage TD Active Trader to IBKR. Tried it but wasn't too impressed, found it 1960's primitive on par with RBC. Now i have to move funds back to TD :mad: . This is why low income this week.

1712149825490.png

i was in the process of moving my Discord from ultra-garbage TD Active Trader to IBKR. Tried it but wasn't too impressed, found it 1960's primitive on par with RBC. Now i have to move funds back to TD :mad: . This is why low income this week.

View attachment 1035020
OT: And why again can’t you stay with TOS,, is SCHW not in Nova Scotia? Or does SCHW CA not allow TOS to be used with accounts? I have some accounts already with SCHW, and TOS allows login there, and I have two accounts STILL with TDA - USA, which will move mid may - god willing they don’t mess it up as I have a TON of calls for May sold.

Reactions: Jim Holder
OT: And why again can’t you stay with TOS,, is SCHW not in Nova Scotia? Or does SCHW CA not allow TOS to be used with accounts? I have some accounts already with SCHW, and TOS allows login there, and I have two accounts STILL with TDA - USA, which will move mid may - god willing they don’t mess it up as I have a TON of calls for May sold.
i got "upgraded" from TOS to Active Trader; TD Canada didn't want to pay for U.S. TOS licenses anymore so they developed their own app. Imagine rolling an ATM CC and it defaults to a debit if you're not paying attention.

View attachment 1035020
Just to confirm -
is this test using a $100k portfolio?
or the $150k mentioned in the past?

I am missing something here. Why is this stock not lower?

Even yesterday the buyers that came in after that atrocious report does not make sense to me.

I just got FSD 12.3.3 downloaded this morning. I’m going to test it out. As usual FSD is not up to spec in NYC but perhaps this is what’s going on here now with buyers.