Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA failed to climb up the fib again; mid-BB supporting it

View attachment 1037321
fib still the ceiling

1712855891277.png

FYI -C200 July 19, 2024 (99 days) is paying around $9.00

Seems a decent bet since ppl will likely hedge before 8/8 and SP will likely not exceed $200 beforehand. At the same time if TSLA tanks on 4/23 to $150's-$140's, or market pukes in May/June, then the amount gained from BTC at lows will be greater than a -C200 at a closer date. And if for some reason TSLA runs (and @tivoboy gets to eat that shoe...) then can always roll up and out closer to the expiration.

Anything wrong with this thinking?

View attachment 1037723
NFA. Ok, I’m going to put out a totally contrarian statement here, and it’s VERY low probability, and almost certain NOT to occur - but here it is.

I could see a further drop (you’ve heard that here and from me and others enough), and E could tell a bad story, and that could lead to another drop and we could retest lows and test LOWER lows… BUT.

I think there is an odd out of the sky chance that that downward movement could produce one HECK of a rally, from shorts taking their profits (is anyone NOT short at this point) and from a huge amount of buyers coming in with $BB that is waiting for this oigoing correction/pricing reset.

And we could rally THROUGH the $200 hard ceiling to what would be ~ $211-215 by my charts and maths before resetting back to THESE current levels, or a bit higher. And for timing, sometime in the next 30-45 days. So, the point is, pick your strikes, premium and expiration AND your shotgun ready to fire if a black swan appears.

I know, crazy, right? But ~5% of the time the stock does move ~ 18-20%, or more. It would be one for the record books for sure. But sometimes, stranger things have happened.

UPDATE: I see @Yoona posted something while I was typing, and once again we seem to be in harmony with at least risk permutation development..

So, anybody have a take on NVDA for 4/12? I'm not in panic mode, but I am more exposed now than I had planned on. (I have three short put contracts each: 4/12@$800, @$900; 4/19@$900, 4/26@$850, 5/17@$900.) I was planning on 6 contracts being assigned, but I can handle an extra 3 if I have to.

I, for one, am happily -40x $885 for tomorrow 4/5. Whether they will expire or be assigned tomorrow, I couldn’t guess, but if they are assigned then I’m fairly confident 4/12 will be higher than 4/5 and all will be well. A week is quite a bit of time in NVDA-land. YMMV and NFA, of course.

Decided this AM to spend the weekend traveling, so just BTC'ed the 40x 4/5 $885 after today's very nice jump up to just book the profit and have one less thing to even be wondering about while relaxing. Still think NVDA will be in a nice place over the next week or so (NFA, of course). @Patrick66, hopefully you are feeling more comfortable today than you were yesterday. Have a great weekend, everyone.:)

@Patrick66 - I haven't been following your trades closely, and it's not yet 4/12, but 4/11 is indeed higher than 4/5, and your 4/12 $800 sold puts should be basically free to close at near-100% profit, and your 4/12 $900 sold puts should now be profitable to close as well (unless your basis was extremely poor). There's always the hope of collecting the full premium by waiting for tomorrow, but with NVDA currently at $897.80 it might be worth considering just closing things out now. NFA, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBooster
Practically everyone and their mom that owns a Tesla would gladly pay $99/month for FSD. There's no need to drop it to $49/month just to get users.
Or it can just be cheap per month when it sucked and then gradually become more expensive as it becomes more capable. It was ridiculous for people to pay 200 a month for V10 or v11 when it's probably worth 30 to 40 bucks a month just foe the novelty. Tesla left a lot of money on the table then.

As v13 or 14 begins to be near hands free, then go to 79 or 99. And once Tesla takes responsibility for crashes then you can charge 249 or whatever you desire.

Or it can just be cheap per month when it sucked and then gradually become more expensive as it becomes more capable. It was ridiculous for people to pay 200 a month for V10 or v11 when it's probably worth 30 to 40 bucks a month just foe the novelty. Tesla left a lot of money on the table then.

As v13 or 14 begins to be near hands free, then go to 79 or 99. And once Tesla takes responsibility for crashes then you can charge 249 or whatever you desire.
Agree.

I think we all can agree that there's much better ways for monetization strategy for FSD as it is right now and going forward where it will be in 1 year, 2 years, etc...I think we're all on the same page in that Tesla's strategy and implementation so far is been downright lacking and disappointing

We can also all agree that there are simple things Tesla can do to change their strategy where FSD adoption rate could begin a massive S curve and TSLA would get a much higher valuation. Strategies that could also help offset margin pressure on the auto side.

Tesla's FSD strategy continues to be the most annoying thing to me when it comes to management.

Reactions: Max Plaid
@Patrick66 - I haven't been following your trades closely, and it's not yet 4/12, but 4/11 is indeed higher than 4/5, and your 4/12 $800 sold puts should be basically free to close at near-100% profit, and your 4/12 $900 sold puts should now be profitable to close as well (unless your basis was extremely poor). There's always the hope of collecting the full premium by waiting for tomorrow, but with NVDA currently at $897.80 it might be worth considering just closing things out now. NFA, of course.
Yeah, things have been pretty good on the NVDA front. I put an order to close the 4/12 $900's for $4 which gives me about an 80% profit; less than that and I am happy to take the shares.

When I made that post I had a little more risk than I realized with my ladder; I found myself in a position where exercise would push me into margin more than I intended and faster than I intended if NVDA stayed under ~$870 through earnings.

My strategy is a little different than what is normally advocated here; I am willing to accept higher risk for higher return, but on a small percentage of my portfolio. I am pushed that direction by the fact that most of my holdings are in Tesla and Apple and they haven't been doing great the past ~two years. Selling options is a good way to scratch back and keep my interest level up to make sure I am making good portfolio decisions. (Unfortunately it is screwing up my sleep patterns... the one downside of living in Hawaii.)

SPX-staircase is nearing the next fall-off point, or signal that this was a fakey-dip and not really the first steps of performing the fib .38 or .50 correction yet, even after 91 days being in an uptrend even above 50MA.
Seems like we need a black swan event to make it happen. It is all looking weak now and the lack of follow-through by $TSLA not so overwhelming, so I am thinking about using the ongoing bounce for exit on some of my recently taken positions.
PS yesterday I closed both -C SMCI positions with 51 and 19 dollars of profit. Lost 5 of that today on a MSTR-bet that went wrong. Because of BTC turning up unexpectedly (but from a supportline that I drew beforehand, so I should have known better.