Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sending commands on the CAN bus: like S3XY Buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Looking at the S3XY buttons, they come with an OBD2 adapter. Since I already have an OBD2 adapter to run ScanMyTesla, my port is in use and I see no way to piggy-back adapters. When I think about it, that adapter they provide is connected to the same bus as my adapter, and I can only imagine it sends CAN bus messages when you press those buttons.
Does anyone have a table of what those CAN bus messages are? I imagine I could send those same messages from an app on my cell phone? I'm especially curious about the options that are doable with the buttons but don't have an option in the menus... I'm not interested in the physical buttons themselves, or at least I'm less interested in them and more interested in what I can do on the CAN bus.

Reactions: beachmiles
Thanks. I had seen the efforts of Josh and others on the TOO forums. I'm sure this work was useful when developing ScanMyTesla and other such apps. I was under the impression that those were the meanings of the various channels for reading data. Maybe there is also information about what we can send... I was hoping I didn't need to learn all about CAN buses :)

S3XY look like they are OBD but they are not really, They connect to at least 2 or even 3 CAN buses. The OBD breakout cable for OBD2 devices exposes and connects only the Drivetrain CAN bus where you get BMS, Battery and Motors for the most part. The other CAN buses such as the "vehicle" and "body" CAN buses are not connected to the pins of the OBD2 and cannot be read with such devices unless rewired. But even then you can only access one wired bus, not all of them at once which S3XY do in order to access more functionality thats spread across several buses. These other buses have autopilot, radar, security, climate and other MCUs on them. Hopefully this makes sense. Last but not least, you need a real CAN transceiver, and not an OBD2 adapter, which can do some CAN but its not the best choice when it comes to writing to the CAN.

Reactions: beachmiles
S3XY look like they are OBD but they are not really, They connect to at least 2 or even 3 CAN buses. The OBD breakout cable for OBD2 devices exposes and connects only the Drivetrain CAN bus where you get BMS, Battery and Motors for the most part. The other CAN buses such as the "vehicle" and "body" CAN buses are not connected to the pins of the OBD2 and cannot be read with such devices unless rewired. But even then you can only access one wired bus, not all of them at once which S3XY do in order to access more functionality thats spread across several buses. These other buses have autopilot, radar, security, climate and other MCUs on them. Hopefully this makes sense. Last but not least, you need a real CAN transceiver, and not an OBD2 adapter, which can do some CAN but its not the best choice when it comes to writing to the CAN.
great explanation ... i have one more question please .. is can commands are same between all tesla models ?