Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensor/Camera FSD separate from HW3 features. Interesting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its currently 25F in Chicagoland today. Snowing for the 2nd day in a row.

The front of my Model 3 was caked with heavy wet snow. FSD became unavailable. All of the images of cars and such stopped displaying on the screen. This always happens to me when the forward facing radar behind the front bumper gets blocked. This time is was blocked with heavy slush that was stuck to the front of the car.
I used to think that the cameras and sensors were all tied in series and if one was blocked - they all were non functional.

Now I have HW3 and its interesting that the cameras don't actually shut off because they still show cones/garbage cans/directional arrows and such on the screen without a problem at all.

Its a mystery to me as to why camera objects such as other cars and trucks would stop displaying on the screen if the forward facing radar is blocked. I would think it would help all of us with blind spot recognition to keep those cameras going. Its a safety issue.

hmmmm….

Below is the radar sensor that gets blocked by snow and slush stuck on the front side of the front bumper. Why blocking this sensor causes the cameras to stop displaying cars/trucks on the screen......is beyond me.

radar.jpg

New feature....stop doing that.

Last edited:
The car may have reduced confidence in what those objects are and their distances, without radar data to support it. The computer may still register the objects but not display them (could be a design choice). If the weather is fairly poor, I'd just focus on the road and not looking at animations - unless you're a bored passenger.

We had an issue with the radar sensor after a recent accident. Autopilot was not working and no cars showing up on the screen but cones were still showing up. What you’re experiencing seems normal if the radar is blocked.

The car may have reduced confidence in what those objects are and their distances, without radar data to support it. The computer may still register the objects but not display them (could be a design choice). If the weather is fairly poor, I'd just focus on the road and not looking at animations - unless you're a bored passenger.

My primary concern is that the visual blind spot warning goes away.

I can't see the car in my blind spot on the screen, however the camera sees my blind spot just fine.

Last edited:
We had an issue with the radar sensor after a recent accident. Autopilot was not working and no cars showing up on the screen but cones were still showing up. What you’re experiencing seems normal if the radar is blocked.

Indeed.

I'm not saying that its abnormal.

I'm saying that normal is not right.

If the cameras are working with the radar blocked.....then show the camera's images - as HW3 displays its camera images.

The tech said the cars will not display because the data from the radar and the cameras must match. If there is no confirmation from the radar that what the cameras is seeing then I guess it will not show them. As for why the side cameras don’t show those cars, who knows? Maybe it’s all or nothing for some reason unknown to us?

• Informative
Reactions: gcmak
My primary concern is that the visual blind spot warning goes away.

I can't see the car in my blind spot on the screen, however the camera sees my blind spot just fine.
I hear you. This is related to complaints about why tesla doesn't use a dedicated rain sensor for the wipers, but instead uses neural net (arguably both would be ideal). Blind spot is the same...if they stuck with the more traditional sensor methods, they wouldn't need to rely on making sure all the sensors and cameras were working in order to feel more confident about what the car is sensing.

I get you're saying that you'd be good with one point of data. Unfortunately if tesla designed it that way and that point of data was wrong and you got into a crash- the data would indeed be in your favor and against Tesla...and ultimately may put you and other drivers on the road at risk. These are tough decisions for a person/company.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This issue with the snow, it's exactly why FSD won't happen for another decade. Considering Tesla did a lot of testing in snow country, you'd think they would know that the radar needs a heating element on the bumper, to keep snow/ice off, or radar is useless.